Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 10:20AM

My husband. He wanted to prove his friend wrong and bring him back. Then after my husband came out to me I wanted to prove HIM wrong and bring him back. Now if only my parents wanted to prove me wrong. =)

So thank you to my husband who opened his eyes, for seeing what Mormonism really is, and for being an amazing support as I have needed him in leaving. Without him I would still be going to church, paying tithing, and chanting "Oh God hear the words of my mouth."

I credit a beautiful life, outside of a cult, to him.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2010 10:36AM by heather.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Comfortably Numb ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 10:24AM

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 11:36AM

Posted by: rockfish ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 01:36PM

How did he go about doing this? And how long did it take for you to 'see the light'?

Posted by: Mormer Formon ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 02:12PM

I set out to prove Mormon Fundamentalism was correct, specifically AUB, and found the absurdities of Lorin C Wooley's story (I was trying to "save" some friends from "apostacy").

From there I dug back to find the "source" of "lying for the Lord" and it took me right back to the source - Joseph Smith. It all collapses on him.

This all happened after 20 years as a 5th generation BIC TBM (from both parents), and 35 years as a TBFM (True believing fundamentalist Mormon).

It has been an interesting ride, this road of discovery. Most of my family are out now, and those that remain I still have great hope for. They will find their way out as well, I am sure. I just keep gently pointing out the absurdities.

My "shout outs" go to Bob McCue, mormonfundamentalism.com, mormonthink.com, this board, and many many many folks who are willing to print the truth.

Mormer Formon

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 03:25PM

Congratulations to you both.

What was it that got through to you and made you want to start actually looking at these things?

Were you at any kind of emotional turning point that made to more open to listening to facts over emotions?

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 05:56PM

Well, lets see.

My husband sought out by asking this friend questions about issues he had. My husband would then study (while at work) and find out that this friend was right about so many things. You know the usual stuff like BOA, Polyandry, changes in BOM, etc. etc. So my husband "ah ha" moment was about 5 years before he told me.

He told me three years ago Christmas. My world was turned up side down. We had married in the temple, both very young, had 4 kids, had callings, were living what we were "supposed to." I tried to be reasonable and understanding. So I would ask him what issues he had. He would tell me small things at first. Like JS being married a 14 year old,(which is in no way small!) I wouldn't look into it, just explain it away, like all mormons do.

So after about 6 months of casual discussion, very randomly, I thought about how I needed to be an understanding wife. If I were to bring him back, I had to understand what he was going through and really look into what he had read.

After another 6 months, I was a complete non-believer. We came out to my family 18 months ago. Life is so good now. Very very good.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 10:46PM

Excellent and very kind to acknowledge him. Sometimes we need support from others as we change and with leaving Mormonism who better to help us than a spouse.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.