Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ChickenWing ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 01:10PM

I remember when I was in the young women's program the leaders would have us do an activity they called "ring and runs." We'd bring in cookies and brownies, put them onto plates and drive around town to inactive and sick members houses. We'd knock on the door or ring the doorbell, place the cookies on the porch and run and hide.

As a young mormon, I saw nothing wrong with this activity. However, reality kicked me in the gut yesterday. Last night we had a knock at the door, I have stairs that lead up to my front porch, and you can hear steps come up and down them. We heard the knock, and then the feet running down. My son answered it, and saw the cookies and brought them inside. "To: Friend From: LDS Young Women."

My family is neither sick nor innactive. Infact, we had our names removed 2 years ago almost imediately after we moved into the ward. I see right through it now. These magical cookies are supposed to soften the hardness of our hearts and bring us back into the fold.

Truely though, the arrogance of it stinks. Using the youth to hassle those not interested. I never understood it as a kid, it was just old fashioned fun. I had a moment of guilt yesterday when I realized how much I may have imposed on the unwilling in my youth.

Anyway, I ate my cookies. They were ok, maybe if they tasted better I'd come back. I think i'll take the plate to the building and let them know next time to bring me brownies. Do any other wards participate in such a silly tradition as anonymously (hiding), yet not so anonymously (labled from) dropping cookies at the inactive/exmembers?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 01:14PM

I wouldn't eat a DAMNED thing left on my doorstep. What if some Uber-Whacko mormon decides that a GA's talk drives him/her to poison apostates? What a better way than to drop off anonymous laced treat to "bad" mormons? You're crazy to eat stuff left on your porch.

Posted by: ChickenWing ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 01:20PM

Yeh, they could poison us with cookies, but it's seriously unlikely. Besides, we were having 80mph winds and single digit temperatures. Everyone knows people who poison cookies deliever them when the weather is good. Also, the unholy ghost spoke to me and told me they were safe.

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 05:24PM

In the Toledo OH Stake a young man (17yo) poisoned the cupcakes his sister made for a missionary meeting in 2001 or 2001. He said he did it b/c she made him mad.

Never trust food a TBM makes because you never know which nut job in their family had access.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 01:14PM

One time, we made all of these hearts out of paper with sayings like "We love you," "You're special," and other such tripe. I remember feeling really stupid because I was telling a person I'd never met that I loved her.

And guess what? That particular girl never came to church.

*SIGH*

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 01:21PM

I remember wondering what that was about, and having no idea because the perpetrator had disappeared. I stood once there for a moment hoping to catch them, but they must have gotten away, and I wonder now if they were hiding nearby and freaking out at possibly getting caught. lol

I never ate things like that. Who knows where it's been? I felt bad throwing them out though.

Posted by: bookish ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 01:52PM

This topic came up not too long and it seems to be pretty common practice, especially around the holidays. Last Christmas I received a plate of cookies that weren't labeled, and I had no idea who they were even from until I posted something about it on facebook. I think they don't like confrontation and that is why they ring the bell and run, but I still don't understand how they can expect results without even putting a name on the cookies.

Posted by: seutnevermo ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 04:10PM

The gentiles refer to this as DEVIL on the doorstep! Much more appropriate and accurate than ring and run.

Posted by: maeve ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 04:18PM

If you don't know who made the cookies, you have no idea how sanitary the baking process was. There are many people who allow cats up on the counters, who don't wash hands before preparing food, etc. I'd rather not take chances. I don't like to buy things at bake sales either unless I know who made the goodies.

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 05:33PM

I have been the recipient of a couple of annonymous messages through the mail. Nevermo situation, I think. I found each and every one of them disturbing and creepy. I even got cookies on the porch once...they hit the trash. This all happened during a time of struggle, family issues, health issues...way better to drop weird, annonymous notes than actually be useful and helpful in the time of need. Creepy. That's all it comes down to...really creepy.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 05:42PM

Make up a nice batch of pot brownies and put them on a plate with a note "With Love From The Young Women" and put them on the bishop's doorstep, ring the bell & leave.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 05:47PM

We could leave Schnapps and Starbucks (alliteration is important, you know) on mormon's doorsteps!

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 07:30PM

Leave a miniature bottle of Schnapps and a small packet of Starbuck's wrapped in bows with a note that says:

"We're so sorry that you're in a cult. We don't know how you've been offended by folks in the real world to arrive at such a state, but we hope you accept these tokens of normalcy to invite you back. We love you!"

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 07:40PM

PERFECT!!!!

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 09:23PM

It made me laugh out loud. I'm sooo tempted to actually do it.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 10:35PM

What a WONDERFUL idea. lol

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.