Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: collegestudent ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 06:25PM

Hey this is academic integrity from the old board.

So, I was raised Mormon, and I can not tell people apart based on facial features. I most easily confuse people who have similar styles, and mannerisms. By style: I mean hair styles and clothing. I can tell people apart by their walk, mannerisms, style of dress, voice, intonation and accent.

I cannot tell half of Hollywood actors/actresses apart. So many of them look alike.

This has recently become a topic of lunch-discussion at my job, and my coworkers and I believe that I learned to recognize people this way in early childhood because Mormons tend to have similar features, and are pretty much the same race [at least in my old ward]. This would definitely explain my situation, because last week I confused a coworker I know very well for a co-worker of an entirely different race and she waited to correct me to see when I'd notice. It was nearly 45 seconds, before my brian processed the face I was looking at.

So how about you? Did you grow up Mormon? Do you notice facial features first or last? Do you notice hair type? most frequent style of dress? mannerisms? the way they walk or talk? When you confuse person's name/identity: what is the feature they have in common that most frequently causes your confusion?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 06:47PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosopagnosia

If you do have it, that would explain a lot.

Posted by: collegestudent ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 07:22PM

That was interesting reading for sure.

But I definitely don't have face blindness, and I got a 100% on the ASVAB structural test, so I don't think this is Prosopagnosia or Prosopamnesia.

My mind just automatically notices non-facial/racial features first.

I think this can be traced to growing up with similar people, in a huge family where individuals features and ages were very similar. I'm wondering if this is the case for other people raised Mormon, because that would support my theory. If it's not similar, than I'm just different.

Posted by: YankeePedlar ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 07:30PM

Friend of mine from AZ says: "Pale skin. They're either in school, church, or working inside all the time."

I say: "Apparent undershirt, no matter how hot. CTR ring."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.