Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: July 16, 2012 07:56PM

So, I recently did a doodle criticizing Arizona's governor for supporting efforts to deny domestic partnership benefits if one of the partners in the relationship is a state employee. (Never mind that a lower court has already ruled that an Arizona state law denying such benefits is unconstitutionally discriminatory).

Anyway, here's the 'toon:

http://i.azcentral.com/commphotos/view/599905.jpg
_____

As expected, holy homophobic Bible thumpers have come out of the woodwork in opposition to the benefits--with one writing me the following missive, postmarked "Phoenix" (but anonymously scrawling in pencil on the outside of the envelope, "Any Town Arizona"--nothing like a cowering Christian too afraid to put their name where their Biblical bigotry is).

Below is the letter (original spelling, grammar, punctuation, capitalization and spacing), starting with a preface of sorts (also scrawled in pencil):

"For your edification, Mr. Benson."

[Typed content]:

"Homosexual lifestyle; Is it acceptable? Yes, No, Maybe so.

"So you say that bigotry, Religious intolerance/fanaticism is what is driving the hatred of the worlds homosexual population. Then think on this.
If homosexuality was the acceptable lifestyle since the beginning of mankind. No one would be alive today. IE: (No Procreation)
Homosexuality is not GOD'S or any creationists design for the evolution of humankind.
If it can be empirically proven that homosexuality is caused by a biological, chemical, or an identified disorder. Then we the so called straights should feel empathy not hate or disgust. If our belief in religion and it's teachings say this is contrary to the creators design. Then we must pray for these lost souls. Employment. Consider this; The last thing we need is more people on welfare and unemployed. Higher them! [Editor's note: That's right: "higher" them]
Marriage: Most people accept marriage as between a man and a woman. If their intent is on having a certificate of partnership for government assistance; Taxes, Etc. Then each State should decide on whether to issue some kind documentation. Cert. of life partner. Cert. of cohabitation. Etc.
Many Men and woman [Editor's note: "Woman," as one just one] of the same sex have cohabitated for various reasons; save on rent, enjoy each other's friendship Etc. The difference is the sex.
Violence: No one should, or has the right to mentally or physically harm these unfortunates. To do so is a violation of everyone's human rights.
Children should not be introduced to this lifestyle. They are too young to understand the difference between same sex friendship and the homosexual life style.
In conclusion: Homosexuality should not be an acceptable norm; Nor applauded, celebrated or accepted as a so called loving caring way of life. It can be said that if nurtured and accepted by the world as a normal way of life it can grow into being the perfect virus that destroys humankind.
In vitro fertilization ? It's not what their life style is about.
For those of a religious persuasion who believe that the Bible teaches us to accept and condone the homosexual lifestyle; I suggest you Read, Romans 1:24 ['24' then crossed out in pencil], 25,26 and 27.
Do we now think that your understanding is great than GOD'S."

Finally, scrawled in pencil at the bottom of the unsigned letter was the following, accompanied by a crude caricature of yours truly wearing a propeller-topped beanie cap, carrying a devil's pitchfork and uttering a talk bubble from an ink bottle labeled "BLOOD":

"TO SELL MORE NEWS PAPERS, I MUST COME WITH ANY THING THAT CAN P*** [deleted] READERS OFF.

"[Signed], BENSON's AND HIS DISTORTED VIEW AS APPROVED BY THE . . . NEWS PAPER"
_____

Just when you thought the world was, just maybe, coming out of the Dark Ages.

Edited 14 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2012 01:14PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: July 16, 2012 08:13PM

Wow. A conclusion and everything.

They sure showed you with that well-informed and well-written letter.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 16, 2012 08:15PM

Wow. Just think. These people are out there driving cars on the streets and voting. We could get “democracy” good and hard.

The poor guy doesn't even know how embarrassed he should be.

Religion provides a haven for this kind of ignorance.

That Jan B. is a piece of work, BTW. Great work.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: July 16, 2012 08:28PM

I'd Google a few key phrases from his diatribe. I would be willing to bet he plagiarized it all from some EV web site.

But it would be interesting to ask him if he knows what the word "empirical" means.

Then he goes from homosexuality to unemployment. Holy Non Sequiturs, Batman!

Looks like he's the switch hitter!

T-Bone

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 16, 2012 08:31PM

I regret that just this morning I was thinking I haven't seen a Mailbag post for a while and I missed them.

Uh...

I must say, Steve: I appreciate you putting this one in the "Moron" bag rather than the "Christian" one.

"The difference is the sex" - Indeed! Words to live by. :)

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 02:29PM

Did the sub line say "Christian" before?

If so, I take back my relief. :(

I must say, I've mingled with many different Christian groups. I didn't run into too many people like those who have this passion to write to an editorial cartoonist. Or if they did, they were more literate and modulated.

The big question, however, is that no matter the flowery phrases and other language skills one may possess, is the underlying message or opinion the same? It would seem so, in many locales.

Something to think about.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: July 16, 2012 08:36PM

They're unemployed? That will come as a shock to all the male hairdressers in the world.

I kid of course, I know a lot of gays in a lot of diverse fields.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2012 08:37PM by forbiddencokedrinker.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 02:36PM

I'll have to tell all my gay friends; hairdressers, business owners, copyright editors, lawyers, paralegals, and nurses.

T-Bone

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: July 16, 2012 08:38PM

It can be a sad world we live in. The close-mindedness of some people makes me sick. Why can't we all just get along? Live and let live...

Posted by: RichardtheBad (not logged in) ( )
Date: July 16, 2012 08:41PM

Actually, I was laughing too hard at this passage;

"Homosexuality is not GOD'S or any creationists design for the evolution of humankind."

to make it much further. He better not pull that thought out at the creationist banquet, they'll have him for cordials.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: July 16, 2012 09:38PM

I like the cartoonist with the propeller beanie cap. It kind of sets the tone for the guy's letter.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: July 16, 2012 09:58PM

Gee, I've never come across such cogent and forceful arguments
before. Maybe I need to reconsider my support of gay rights in
light of this letter-writer's brilliant logic.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 12:39PM

...or the Stone Age. LOL!

I did think it was rather sweet of this forlorn illiterate that he offered a small literal nosegay of hope to the beaten-down of the world: "To do so is a VIOLETion of everyone's human rights."

Great drawing, BTW.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 01:10PM

In fairness to our ancestors, we had a lot more respect and tolerance for homosexuality until a certain middle eastern cult became the western world's dominant religion.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 01:21PM

OK, well, then I take back any credit I gave that idiot!

Cheers!

Posted by: CTRringturnsmyfingergreen ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 12:45PM

From these ramblings you can clearly see what type of people religions manipulate as their power base. Scary.

Posted by: rosemary ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 01:31PM

I'm just glad he/she explained the whole part about homosexuality and no procreation. I would have been too stupid to realize gay couples can't procreate together if he hadn't given us the i.e.

And who's claiming that in vitro fertilization IS what their lifestyle is about? A lot of people opt to try in vitro fertilization, but I doubt any of them consider it a lifestyle.

Posted by: Minnie ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 01:42PM

It would be hilarious if it were only a handful of people who had these beliefs and were as articulate. If this were the case I think I could actually laugh.

Except far too many people share this ignorance and make life miserable for many innocent people.

It makes me nauseated and sad.

Thanks for the cartoon though, it represents a snippet of reality that words really can't.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 02:30PM

or that I don't have any rights in this fine theocracy of ours. And what does in-vitro fertilization have to do with anything? What a rambling, incoherent screed. Glad I don't live in *his* head.

Posted by: jaredsotherbrother ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 06:08PM

Waitaminnit. I thought that's what the Mexicans were doing. Damn, Arizona must be a very scary place for the righteous white folks.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.