Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nick Humphrey ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 05:06AM

2 articles in the norwegian news today:
http://www.bt.no/nyheter/utenriks/--Kirken-skjuler-dap-av-dode-kjendiser-2736437.html ("the church is hiding baptisms of famous dead people")
http://www.bt.no/nyheter/lokalt/De-ble-mormonere-etter-sin-dod-2736370.html ("they became mormons after their death")

both are about the mormon church covering up baptisms of famous dead norwegians. i would really like to thank the person who helped me (who i don't know if i can name) do the research for the Bergens Tidende newspaper and got them screenshots of temple records.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2012 08:03AM by Nick Humphrey.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 05:26AM

Bravo! More publicity - seems to be the only way to bring the morg down. They're afraid of negative publicity.

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 06:41AM

Although Bergen is the second largest city in Norway, Bergens Tidene may be viewed as a regional newspaper (even though it's 5th in circulation in the country). I'd like to see this story picked up by some of the national newspapers, such as Verdens Gang (#1) or Aftenposten (#2).

I hope that the local population here learns more about the strange, cult-like practices of LDS Corp, and that they turn away any recruitment efforts that they encounter.

Date: July 18, 2012 08:04AM

Date: July 18, 2012 01:12PM

Good. I'm glad to see that the Corp's nonsense is appropriately exposed (and ridiculed). I see in the article that Harald Hårfagre was included in the LDS dead-dunking. He was a Viking king who lived in ca. 850 to 935, long before Christianity was imposed in Norway by Olaf Tryggvason. I wonder if the LDS Corp missionaries had to travel to Valhalla to meet with Harald, in order to give him the missionary discussions.

Maybe we'll find out later if Odin and Thor have also been dead-dunked by LDS Corp.

BTW, Nick. Are you located in Norway?

Date: July 18, 2012 03:32PM

Date: July 18, 2012 03:48PM

jeg bor på en liten gård i Sokndal kommune, i Rogaland fylke

Date: July 18, 2012 04:07PM

vi har en privat facebook gruppe for exmormons i norge. om du har lyst så kan jeg adde deg der... bare send meg eposten din (til nick . c . humphrey at gmail), evt. fb profilen din

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2012 04:24PM by Nick Humphrey.

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 03:22PM

"Dåp på vegne av historiske personligheter som ikke er forfedre til medlemmer av kirken, er strengt forbudt. I noen få tilfeller har navn blitt lagt til på tross av disse reglene. Om dette er ved en feiltakelse eller av andre grunner, oppfatter kirken det som et alvorlig regelbrudd, skriver talsmannen i en mail til BT."

For you who don't understand norweigan it says that the church claims that baptism of dead people that are not the forefathers of a mormon is considered a serious offense.

I've never heard that, and in the temple I was always baptised for a bunch of total strangers. Doing your own genealogy was encouraged but I've never heard anything that forbids submitting other names. Is this a new rule or is the mormon church just making up an excuse?

Posted by: BG ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 02:46PM

I'd be interested to hear the back story of how you got this into the Bergens Tidene in the first place. My sense is that most Norwegians will be quite hostile that folk like King Olav and many beloved authors were baptized without contact or permission of living family members.

Date: July 18, 2012 03:00PM

It looks like Nick Humphrey was Bergens Tidene's main source, and the newspaper also interviewed Helen Radkey by telephone in Utah. Apparently, Nick lives in Bergen (I didn't notice at first that it was his photo at the top of the story). I'd also like to know how the newspaper got interested in the story originally.

Date: July 18, 2012 03:34PM

i made a website called mormonerne.com, a website with facts about the church, in norwegian, so maybe the reporter found me there, i can't remember if i asked her or not. she did a piece on mitt romney earlier, so i think mitt romney was the original interest, if i remember correctly, but then i told her about the temple and one thing let to another, i think..

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 03:09PM

Uff da!

'you can Tell a Norwegian... but you can't tell them much'.

Did you hear about the Norwegian GUY who loved his wife so much... he Almost told her?

Ole: Norwegian
Sven: Swede

Sven tells Ole: "I looost fity cents down de ouut huse"

Ole: "Vell, Sven, that's not much, don't vorry 'bout it"

Sven: "vell, then if frew down my vallet and my vatch...."

Ole: "Vy did you do that, Sven?"

Sven: "Because, I didn't vant to go down dare just for fity cents..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2012 03:51PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: nomoinprovo ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 03:40PM

I have a print out from about 20 years ago from the IGI that has temple dates for some ancient Nordic kings, including said kings' descent from the god Thor. Yes, Thor had his temple work done. I mentioned that to a TBM friend, and he snapped, "They used to just baptize anyone who was submitted."

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: July 19, 2012 04:23PM

It's hard to understand how come they recently created a 3rd stake in Norway. Is it just a bubble?

Date: July 19, 2012 04:41PM

in order to qualify for a temple. as if the norwegians haven't qualified already....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.