Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 02:13PM

CA has certainly lost its bounce. DC may still have an aura of growth and vitality, not sure. Not sure about Boston area either.

Now the only areas where I get any sense of Mormon vitality are parts of Utah County (Provo not being one of the parts - a sad town), parts of Davis County, and some southern SL County suburbs - Draper, South Jordan, maybe.

I suppose there are a few hot spots in AZ, but all of these are in established Mormon areas. The hotspots in the 60s were outside areas where Mormonism appeared to be thriving.

I think the glory days are over.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: idleswell ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 02:40PM

Does upstate NY qualify as a LDS hotspot? When I was in NY ~2000 Mormons from afar moved into the area to be "so near to the foundations of the Church" and open a business with an LDS theme.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2012 03:25PM by idleswell.

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 02:50PM

It's certainly not Clarks Summit PA, is it Bro of Jerry? ;-)

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 06:56PM

everybody in eastern PA will feel the spirit and convert. Probably to Catholicism. :)

Posted by: NeverMoAndGrateful ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 03:31PM

Maybe eastern Washington? I know several Mormons from SoCal who have migrated to the Spokane area.

Posted by: Dave in Hollywood ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 03:45PM

These are the places that I know people from California are moving. Most of the ones I know are Mos, I'm sorry to say.

Posted by: sharapata ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 03:50PM

Texas seems to be the state with the most new stakes created outside the Intermountain West. Arizona, too, but that is arguably part of the "Mormon Corridor", albeit to a lesser extent.

Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 04:04PM

My area is commonly called little Utah in a suburb of Dallas.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 03:59PM

Spokane:Conservatives:Mormons

a natural combination!

Spokane has a few more hills than Boise/SL, but otherwise similar (Oh, Spokane has an ACTUAL river, with falls)

IDK if they have a McTemple there, but I'd guess they do.

anyway, only 430 miles to Boise, 395-84

Seattle, with Boeing, MS, & Amazon, puts LOTS of food on LDS tables; the bio-med industry feeds a few here also. As 'fallout' plenty of Lawyers & accountants ('camp followers') attest.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2012 04:06PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: brainfrees ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 04:11PM

Also parts of southern Denton County, Plano and Carrolton. In fact, the stake center (carollton or frisco stake I dont remember) was built off of 121 not too far east of I-35E. But the growth (cheap, new houses and white collar jobs) put most of the new wards in Frisco and West McKinney. The location is so bad that the stake president even jokingly called it the stake "edge" instead of the stake center. We were in three wards due to three ward splits while in the same house from 2006-2008.

There is also a concentration that seems to keep growing in south eastern Washington, the "tri-cities" - around the Columbia River Temple.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 05:16PM

brainfrees Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
>
> There is also a concentration that seems to keep
> growing in south eastern Washington, the
> "tri-cities" - around the Columbia River Temple.

Us WESTERNERS call that S. Central Washington , thankyouverymuch...

SE = Walla Walla. Don't know if there are any Mormons there, BTW.

Posted by: Serendiptiyhappens ( )
Date: July 19, 2012 01:21AM

Mass now has a temple, a mormon former governor and four stakes. Two stakes were created in the 80s and one in the 90s... I'm not sure that four stakes constitutes a hot spot though.

Posted by: story100 ( )
Date: July 19, 2012 01:49AM

I live in the tri-cities in Washington (southeast, sorry Walla Walla, but we share a corner, south central is Goldendale), a mile from the temple. Total population here is about 250,000, 20% LDS. Tons of missionaries. The LDS here act like they can try to run the place, so the non-LDS need to actively resist. My son goes to a christian school that has banned LDS students because "the mothers were trying to take over" LOL

I guess we are in a hot spot, but most non-LDS people here recognize the mormon church as a cult.

Posted by: brainfrees ( )
Date: July 19, 2012 03:23AM

But even in the TBM days, circa 2003, I'd get embarassed seeing all the mo's walking to church from all around the temple. Like sidewalks full- headed to the stake center. It reminded me of my first visit to Utah as a teenager. My childhood friend from Texas was then at Timpview High. On Sunday when it was time for church they said we had to walk because their dad had the station wagon at the church. I was thinking, no way, I'm not walking to church in the summer time!! Well, turns out the church was about one block over. I thought it was kind of a novelty at the time.

Posted by: balaamsass ( )
Date: July 19, 2012 12:28PM

Government and school board have Mos in them, Stake continues to grow with move ins from corridor. Very Yuppie and conformist.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 19, 2012 01:24PM

I'm wondering about Washington, D.C. as well. The Washington Post has had multiple fawning articles about the Mormon church. The paper must be catering to a certain demographic.

Posted by: Anoz ( )
Date: July 19, 2012 01:18PM

I would think Jackson County, MO is a hot spot at least for nutty mormons who believe they want to be where Jeebus comes in the last day to build his temple. Many have relocated here straight from the mecca of UTard for that reason.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: July 19, 2012 02:18PM

LOL the morg won't go back to MO anytime soon, they just built themselves a $5 billion dollar mall in Salt Lake City.

TBMs are so gullible.

Posted by: george ( )
Date: July 19, 2012 04:30PM

Gilbert, Arizona, all the California LDS are headed there...

Posted by: oddcouplet ( )
Date: July 19, 2012 06:15PM

I've heard that the tiny, tiny town of Duck on the North Carolina coast is a sort of Fort Lauderdale for Mormon college students in the northeastern urban corridor.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.