Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: July 20, 2012 06:59AM

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/20/12850048-14-shot-dead-at-dark-knight-rises-screening-in-aurora-colorado?lite

I'm out of town, but just checked the news back home and was shocked to see a mass shooting back at home.

This is pretty shocking.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: July 20, 2012 07:05AM

I saw that this morning. They are doing updates right now on my local news station. It's so sad. What is wrong with people today?

Posted by: epsynonia ( )
Date: July 20, 2012 09:00AM

First thing I saw when turned on the computer this morning. Colorado is my home state. Been a horrible year so far for Coloradoans - with all the wildfires and violence. The news reports say there were many children in the audience and in the injured - the youngest being 3 months old.

I just don't get it.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 20, 2012 09:30AM

I've been listening to the news the last hour- Horrible and just sickening. It looks like James Holmes was targeting people trying to flee their seats. Even worse, his mom told the police "They have the right man."

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/aurora-dark-knight-shooting-suspect-identified-james-holmes/story?id=16818889#.UAlZSrTjaSo

A book that is often recommended here to understand "random acts of violence" is "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin De Becker. Read it when you have the chance. It will give you perspective on these terrible incidents.

Date: July 20, 2012 08:59PM

Itzpapalotl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> A book that is often recommended here to
> understand "random acts of violence" is "The Gift
> of Fear" by Gavin De Becker. Read it when you have
> the chance. It will give you perspective on these
> terrible incidents.

Plus 1 on Gavin De Becker's book.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: July 20, 2012 10:07AM

They've revised the number of people killed to 12, with 38 people hurt.

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: July 20, 2012 10:31AM

Good heavens. Extraordinarily sorry to everyone this hurt. :( Colorado needs a break.

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: July 20, 2012 10:33AM

I guess we'll find out more about the guy in the coming days. For now we know his name, that he was from Tennessee and that he was dressed up in fatigues, had a multi shot gun that needed no reloading, and used tear gas and came prepared for its use. He must have been a reasonably good shot, indicated he could use a gun.

Humm....

Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: July 20, 2012 10:38AM

DH and I attended a an early screening of Dark Knight last night.

I am almost shaky this morning after hearing the news. Being able to vividly imagine just how confusing and terrifying that must have been for those people.

Date: July 20, 2012 12:04PM

As I'm out of town, and don't have access to a TV, I feel like I'm missing what will be a time marking moment in my towns history.

By time marking, I mean like before Columbine, and after. It makes a dividing line in time for the community. It's strange to be away from home as it is all happening.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 20, 2012 10:47PM

Coverage filled the entire half hour for both the NBC and CBS evening news shows. Both anchors were out there. There was additional coverage this evening. CBS (I think) had a very moving interview with the chief of the ER at the CU medical center.

Both Romney and Obama said appropriate things, and both pulled campaign ads from Colorado.

The police are trying to figure out what to do with the attacker's apartment -- apparently it is very badly booby-trapped. Apparently his plan was to draw police to his apartment with a noise complaint (he had loud music blaring) while he was making mayhem at the movie theater across town.

Date: July 20, 2012 11:36PM

Thanks for the update Summer. I'm trying to access the story on my usual Denver news sites and they are very slow now. I can't really see much, and I don't have a usual outside news favorite. I always just get the news on local TV news websites.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.