Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: July 20, 2012 05:53PM

Can someone please explain to me why we don't like Boyd K Packer?

All I can find is that some of his conference talks are hard to take and he seems to be very black and white.

But has he said or done anything that the rest of the GAs haven't?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: July 20, 2012 05:55PM

The biggest reason recently is that he is by far the most vocal apostle in the anti-gay arena.

He has also been very vocal in the past about masturbation, women as child making machines, etc. In essence, he is off the chart far right on social issues.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2012 05:56PM by bc.

Date: July 20, 2012 06:01PM

Also here are some of his quotes:

"There is a temptation for the writer or teacher of Church history to want to tell everything, whether it is worthy or faith promoting or not. Some things that are true are not very useful."

Arguing that teachers should "give milk before meat", he stated that "some things are to be taught selectively and some things are to be given only to those who are worthy."

"One who chooses to follow the tenets of his profession, regardless of how they may injure the Church or destroy the faith of those not ready for 'advanced history', is himself in spiritual jeopardy. If that one is a member of the Church, he has broken his covenants and will be held accountable."

Posted by: throwaway22 ( )
Date: July 20, 2012 08:08PM

Do you have the source for that quote? All I've ever seen is someone saying that's what he said and not an actual written source.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: July 21, 2012 10:23AM

Date: July 21, 2012 03:32PM

I grabbed my snippets from the wiki - I believe they have source links for everything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boyd_K._Packer

Posted by: Boomer ( )
Date: July 21, 2012 03:42PM

Actually, Packman is saying what all the GAs said in the past; try reading old Ensigns and the magazine that was before it--can't remember the name. Also the books written 1950-1980. He's just saying the same old stuff.

Posted by: hard6 ( )
Date: July 20, 2012 05:58PM

What really started my "apostasy" was learning that BKP considers "...freethinkers, homosexuals and feminists enemies of the church." I'm a freethinker, an enemy I am I guess.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: July 20, 2012 06:01PM

http://www.lds-mormon.com/only.shtml

I mean, yeah, it's fun to call him names like Boyd K-K-Kiss mah Pucker and all, but in all seriousness, the cult still publishes and distributes this drivel as a pamphlet in Aaronic P-hood classes.

And in this day and age, anyone who is still proud of commending the punching-out of someone as a rational method of dealing with a situation is fucked-up sick:
>> "Somebody had to do it, and it wouldn't be well for a General Authority to solve the problem that way."

>> I am not recommending that course to you, but I am not omitting it. You must protect yourself.

Posted by: The Motrix ( )
Date: July 20, 2012 06:12PM

I think along with his hate of minorities, gays, women, intellectuals, and masturbators, part of the problems is that he is so gungho about obscuring the truth.

He is anti-history and science if it does back up the church. He believes that such things should be ignored and pushed under the rug. In other words, he intentionally lies to keep people believing. He goes after people who tell the truth, trying to ruin their careers, reputations, and lives. He has done this many times.

He's an awful, hateful, decieving person -- how's that?

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: July 20, 2012 06:27PM

He also comes across as a grumpy old man. No charisma, speaks like he owns the church (which he will soon I guess), he thinks he's the sh!t. And the thing that really picks me about him is his twisted view of morality as if all the world's problems are caused by masturbation and pre-marital sex.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: July 20, 2012 06:52PM

Dogmatic, doctrinaire, anti-intellectual, bigoted. Other than that, a great guy.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: July 20, 2012 06:56PM

I'm a free thinking, masturbating, feminist intellectual male (the worst kind, surely).

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: July 20, 2012 07:06PM

10. His talk "the Mediator" makes Jesus a refi man not a savior.

9. The Candle of the Lord aka fake it till you make it

8. “We recommend that people marry those who are of the same racial background generally, and of somewhat the same economic and social and educational background (some of those are not an absolute necessity, but preferred), and above all, the same religious background, without question” (“Marriage and Divorce,” in 1976 Devotional Speeches of the Year [Provo: Brigham Young University Press, 1977], p. 144). quoted in the Aaronic Priesthood Manuals to this day!

7. He would like your mind to be narrow like a ditch in his talk "Worthy Music Worthy Thoughts."

6. We like Johann Sebastian Bach better than dull Mormon hymns

5. "Why would our Heavenly Father ever do that to anyone?" (i.e. create a LGBT person)

4. The enemies of the church, according to Packer, are gays, feminists and so-called intellectuals

3. The Unwritten Order of Things

2. "some truths are not very useful" - The Manntle is Greater than the Intellect

1. Little Factory

Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: July 20, 2012 07:52PM

Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: July 20, 2012 08:03PM

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: July 21, 2012 07:14AM

I didnt know about that either... I just did a google of 'boyd K Packer Bach'.
what a tool!

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: July 20, 2012 07:13PM

"I have a hard time with historians because they idolize the truth. The truth is not uplifting; it destroys. I could tell most of the secretaries in the church office building that they are ugly and fat. That would be the truth, but it would hurt and destroy them. Historians should tell only that part of the truth that is inspiring and uplifting."-BKP

Posted by: goldarn ( )
Date: July 20, 2012 08:07PM

Jesus said that you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free.

Jesus's apostle said that Truth destroys and you should avoid it.

Any questions?

Posted by: Xyandro ( )
Date: July 20, 2012 07:15PM

I hate BKP for his stance on gays, but then I just stop and picture him pooping his diaper and it makes me feel better. :)

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: July 20, 2012 08:25PM

Funerals are not an ocassion to remember the deceased, etc. but instead they are another opportunity to preach the gospel. They must be all about the plan of salvation. Family wishes be damned.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: July 20, 2012 10:34PM

Boyd's conference speech about the mules and the whirlwind was enough for me. This is a man who believes that people are told by spirits to move livestock and wagons to avoid bad weather events. Nuff said.

Posted by: behindcurtain ( )
Date: July 20, 2012 10:50PM

Truth has no place in Mormonism. People who try to respect both truth and Mormonism are not loyal. Loyalty to Mormonism means giving up loyalty to truth.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: July 21, 2012 07:29AM

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: July 21, 2012 09:59AM

Some historian who interviewed with BKP said he said that.
BKP really models the xenophobia and propaganda of the church.
It was 1981 when he gave his talk to church educators saying "some things that are true are not useful". That has become his motto. He threatened church educators that their souls and church status were in jeopardy if they didn't censor themselves. He followed up on that threat. A number of church researchers were disciplined for publishing history that cast doubt on the church. My fav is Linda Newell because I knew her family.
Then BKP championed the sexual preoccupations and misogyny that defined the Spencer W. Kimball presidency. He fanned masturbation-mania and then homophobia, which finally relatively silenced and tempered him. Now he's just old and sick and I think god is praying that Monson outlives him so there isn't a Packer presidency.
Packer is an authoritarian. To his credit he was a WWII bomber pilot and I wonder if the war mindset stuck with him. That was an age when loyalty was a higher value that the truth.

Posted by: wisewoman ( )
Date: July 21, 2012 12:10AM

His poor wife. I have never heard of TSM's wife. Do you wonder why we don't know about God the Mother?

Posted by: JL ( )
Date: July 21, 2012 08:04AM

How does anyone even begin to like an old man who publicly and condescendingly said that the 3 greatest threats to TSCC are: gays/lesbians, feminists, and the so-called intellectuals?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 21, 2012 11:59AM

and his reply was just to berate me and make me feel "less than"--

But what I thought was interesting is he had a book out at that time with a bunch of his talks. In it was a talk called, "To The One" who a good friend of mine--who I worked with, but was also a bishop--told me to read. Then this bishop friend told me to write to Boyd. I did--I eventually burned the letter because it was actually abusive and I had enough to deal with.

BUT--I gave the book to my mom for a Christmas gift. She "confessed" to me later that she had given it the DI within weeks of me giving it to her. She said all it did was to make her feel horrible about herself.

He has no empathy. He has no understanding of the "human condition"--he is all about being an authority.

Before I wrote to him, he was one of my favorites. Go figure. I couldn't listen to him after that--although I was still tBM for some 15 years.

Posted by: JL ( )
Date: July 21, 2012 03:43PM

To me, he is just a sorry excuse for a human being.

After so many suicides of LGBT people (predominantly gay teens and adults), he continues to lash out venomous attacks on LGBT people, knowing that he was wilding his influence through his GC talks.

To me, that simply disqualifies him from being considered a decent human being.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.