Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 09:34AM

Mormons claim to believe 8 year olds have the wisdom to choose to be in the mormon church for the rest of their lives.

Yet, they think fully mature adults aren't smart enough to study and leave mormonism. TBMs always call it a temporary phase or personal offense when we say we no longer want to participate. If we say we want to resign, they want to reteach us the basics and warn us about their silly ideas of eternal consequences and losing "blessings."

I'm blessed to lose the mormon kind of "blessings" which to me feel more like cursings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2012 09:36AM by Cheryl.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 09:41AM

Mormon's only think 8 year old's are old enough to decided if the answer is yes. If it is no, or if they change their mind at 12 or 13, then they "don't know what they are doing" and are forced and bribed to go until the indoctrination is complete.

In most families, even if the child says no at 8, church is compulsory.

My house, my rules thing.

Date: July 26, 2012 12:31PM

I'm bothered because mormons claim kids that age actually have a choice and are making a reasoned decision unlike new babies who are baptized in other churches.

Eight aren't mature enough to make lifelong far reaching choices, but are told that's what they're doing when they don't understand the concept.

I'd never allow a child of mine to be baptized into a cult I consider to be harmful to children and also racist, sexist, and homophobic.

Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 04:04PM

I definitely don't remember it ever being a choice, never once did the words 'yes I want to be baptised' leave my mouth.

It's just what you did when you turned 8.

Posted by: The exmo formerly known as Br. Vreeland ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 02:56PM

This started with asking inconvenient questions about historical timeline like (Were there Indians before Nephi got here?). Then came questions about other world religions. Then came my expressed desire to not go to church anymore. This was in my early teens. I was forced to go. So yes, 8 year olds are wiser, if they choose the right answer.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 09:44AM

yep. Like an eight year old is going to say: "No I don't think I'll get baptised..."

When that's all you've been taught since birth, when your family is planning a huge party around your bapstism, when nobody even bothers to ASK!!

Do parents ASK their child if they WANT to get baptised? I think not. It is a given in mormon families.. it is a: "ooh you will be 8 next year and then you'll be old enough to be baptized..."..

duh..

and yes, you are right.. when we leave the church it is at best met with a shaking of the head, and the conclusion that we have not thought about it..

silly folks those mormons..

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 09:51AM

I knew a Becca once. I fell for her as deeply and completely as a 17 year old can. After we both married we were friends for a long time as couples. I wonder where she is now...

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 04:35PM

Sorry, doesn't ring a bell...

Posted by: absolutelyunsure ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 12:35PM

Agreed, there was never an option not to get baptised at 8, become a deacon at 12, etc etc go on a mission at 19. It is just the way it is.

Posted by: The exmo formerly known as Br. Vreeland ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 03:02PM

I specifically remember being asked by my father while sitting in the bish's office. The bish was there too. What 8 year old doesn't want to please his father? I knew what he wanted. All my friends were Mormon. I never knew anything else. What was I going to say?

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 12:41PM

My 5 year old and I were driving through town last month and drove by the temple. He commented that people get baptized in the temple, and we talked a bit about the difference between being baptized for yourself and for someone else. We talked about my baptism and his dad's and the differences (he was BIC, baptized at 8, I joined at 16). Then my awesome little 5 year old tells me, "I'm not going to be baptized."

Date: July 26, 2012 12:49PM

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 01:09PM

Well said. The eight year olds are at the age where they really want to please their parents. They're also old enough to articulate to some degree beyond "I know the church is twoo" being whispered in their ear.

What a crock. Every adult who leaves is then either "wicked," or "knows the truth, and that is what is sad."

Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 01:24PM

I know! And they get so self righteous when they compare themselves to churches that baptize infants. IMO, there is nor much of a differnece between baptizing a baby and telling your 8 your old that it is time to take the plunge...

Not that many rebellious 8 year olds

Posted by: emma ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 02:01PM

+1 to everyone that said that baptism isn't a choice in the mormon church. I overheard my 7yr old nephew say he didn't want to get baptized and the mom was basically like that's ok, because all the peer pressure will get to him by the time he turns eight. Peer pressure is totally a good reason to get baptized. Not!

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExM ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 03:06PM

The irony in all of this is that if indeed there was an 8-year old that stood his/her ground and was adamant about NOT wanting to be baptized...in order to save themselves from embarrassment of others in the Ward that their kid was the only one not wanting to be baptized...what do you think would be the first thing out of these parents mouths to their little 8-year old who does not want to be baptized...

"You're not old enough to make that decision to NOT be baptized little Johnny!"

Isn't that just the way it would go???

Or so it seems to me...

Posted by: americangirl406 ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 05:04PM

When I told my family I was leaving, one of the things they kept saying was "you are so young, you dont know what you want". How irritating!! Because when I was 8 I tottaly knew what I wanted.

And I love how they want new converts to get baptized ASAP, yet if your trying to leave you should spend a million years researching first. And even that wouldn't be long enough.

Posted by: aspeoriaexmo ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 05:21PM

thank you, thank you, thank you...I've been saying this for the last 7 months

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.