Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nevermojulie ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 01:27PM

Okay,

Why do babies and children (who are not baptized) take the bread and water?

It's it to remind them of their baptism and renew covenants (which they have never had?)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 01:33PM

I think this is actually a topic on which some TBMs do not agree. Some families don't let unbaptized children take the sacrament, while some let them take it once they're old enough to have a clue what it's supposed to mean. I've witnessed a few debates about this amongst parents.

As far as I know, there's no official guideline.

Posted by: nevermojulie ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 01:34PM

Interesting. I saw a baby have the Sacrament

Posted by: hereticLamanite ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 01:35PM

What I heard when in primary was that children under 8 are permanently clean and can partake if they want to, but once they are 8 they need to watch out for all that sinning 8year olds do.

IMO, it's just part of the endoctrination of children, it forms a habit in them.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 01:36PM

Word on the pews is that because children under the age of 8 are not accountable for anything, it doesn't matter if they take it or not. Most do it to get their children in the habit. Once your child is 8, though, and is not baptized, the sacrament taking needs to stop.

Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 01:37PM

My mom and I got into a *fight* about this about 2 months ago. She wanted my son to take the sacrament and I told her no because (I dont want him to take the sacrament!) he didn't understand what it meant. She didn't like that very much, but understood.

Shes big into the appearance of good and evil.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 01:39PM

I was always told that it was about letting them "practice"... Now that I think about it, it's more indoctrination.

Also, the more I think about it... If it were truly "sacred", then kids wouldn't be allowed to have it (after all, the temple is "sacred" and non-temple recommend holders aren't allowed in)...

I guess this speaks to the pointlessness of the "sacrament".

Posted by: absolutelyunsure ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 01:41PM

Yeah it is a topic that will have TBM on both sides. I also remember it being an issue on my mission taking investigators to sacrament meeting. I thought it would be a confusing thing...and they are in a strange place just trying to understand what is going on and everybody else there is doing it...I never had a problem if they grabbed a piece when the tray passed by, but other made a big fuss over it. I always reasoned that if the individual (child or adult) was not baptised it was more like a little snack and was not worth a screaming child or make the person feel like an idiot. There are others that would call that thought a sin though.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 01:44PM

Children under 8 are officially allowed to take the sacrament. Those 8 or over who are not baptized are prohibited. (It is not strictly enforced - non-members take it fairly often when they don't know.)

The idea with children under 8 is that they are innocent in Christ and thus are perfectly worthy to take the sacrament.

From a practical standpoint it would be very difficult to deny the kids the bread and water as it passes by.

There may be a few TBMs who are anti-kids taking the sacrament, but it would be rare - I've never met anyone who thinks that and I've seen some pretty out there stuff.

Funny aside:
When one of our sons was 2 he would get very excited when the sacrament started getting passed around. He would always worry that he was going to get skipped - especially the water. So as soon as the water was blessed he would yell out very loud "Water!...Water!" while staring at the kids passing the sacrament. I think it only lasted for a couple weeks, I was half embarrassed, half entertained.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2012 01:45PM by bc.

Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 01:49PM

When I was an albeit chubby girl, I used to look for the biggest piece of bread during F and T meeting. My sister did the same thing. Fasting was ENFORCED at our house!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.