Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 05:33PM

"We are very much supportive of the family -- the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that."

Not just throwing stones at gay marriage, but divorced people too.

I was married to my "first wife" too until she turned batshi# crazy and tried to ruin me in every conceivable way. I'm more than a little offended at Mr. Cathy's self-righteous stance.

http://www.bpnews.net/BPnews.asp?ID=38271

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 05:34PM

I hear 'first wives' and I think polygamy..

Posted by: Strykary ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 05:40PM

Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 10:30PM

Me too!

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: July 29, 2012 01:35AM

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 05:41PM

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 06:11PM

It would be interesting to know how happy the wives of these arbiters of morality really are.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 05:48PM

What a strange thing to say. If my husband said that I would ask him if #2 was in the wings. Is there something I should know?

Either than or the wife almost dumped him because he was having problems keeping his pants on. But lucky him, she forgave him and spared him from wife #2.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 06:04PM

I wonder if my two twice-married TBM sisters and thrice-married TBM sister-in-law will boycott Chick-Fil-A now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2012 06:07PM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 06:17PM

As opposed to not being married to their second and third wives?

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 06:22PM

Great point.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 06:26PM

Posted by: Samantha Baker ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 06:50PM

"Well, isn't that special?"

Ugh.

Posted by: ducky333 ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 10:30PM

Samantha Baker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Well, isn't that special?"
>
>
> Ugh.

LOL! Church Lady. I love Dana Carvey.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: July 31, 2012 12:31PM

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 07:25PM

The article mentions CFA's famed "second mile" service. The Second Mile... now why does that sound so familiar? Some Pennsylvania charity or something?

Posted by: schlock ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 08:17PM

So this CFA top dog is saying that nobody that works for CFA is divorced? Or that nobody in middle and upper management at CFA is divorced? Or that nobody in upper management at CFA is divorced? Or that nobody has cheated on their spouse that is in middle or upper management at CFA?

Come on . . . this doesn't pass the smell test.

50% of marriages end up in divorce. And the stats for marital infidelity run between 25% - 75%, depending on the poll / pollster.

What a pompous assertion to make - - - the old windbag is blowing wind methinks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2012 08:17PM by schlock.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 06:56PM

Maybe it's like in the movie, "The Firm". You divorce? You're fired.

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 08:55PM

They were (ex)terminated.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 09:58PM

Sounds like he takes his Bible seriously.

The Bible makes a much bigger deal about divorce being wrong than it does homosexuality. There's nothing funnier than a divorced Christian b!tching about gays based on the Bible (talk about cherry picking).

This guy comes off as so pompous bragging about how righteous he is and how much better he is about following the Bible than everyone else.

I don't think he associates his "first wife" comment with polygamy, but more as a "I'm better than other Christians" attitude.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 09:19AM

other women they fuck.

:::shrugs:::

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 06:53PM

I wonder how their wives feel about being called "first wives" ?

Posted by: inmoland ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 10:20PM

I once read a quote that was something to the effect of, "Show me a marriage that's lasted 50 years, and I'll show you a woman who's made of concrete".

Something tells me that might just apply to Mrs. Cathy.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: July 29, 2012 01:37AM

It took him three tries to find a woman who would put up with him and his crazy family.

Posted by: jbug ( )
Date: July 29, 2012 12:59PM

That guy should have kept his mouth shut about divorced people and Gays. Divorce is often totally necessary and being Gay is NOT a choice. He is making Christians look bad...many of us do NOT agree with that idiot.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: July 31, 2012 01:59PM

One of the few things I ever heard at General Conference with which I had some agreement was the statement that divorce is seldom necessary. My reservation is that it is essentially never necessary. One mormon I knew considered it sufficient to divorce if one's spouse started smoking! Another was if the husband didn't fully honor his priesthood. A great problem of TSCC is the concept of worthiness. The teachings of Christ are ignored.

Posted by: K8M ( )
Date: July 31, 2012 12:13PM

I so agree with jbug above me. I hate that people assume I support Dan Cathy simply because I'm a Christian. He is a self-righteous bigot who is lucky he could find even one woman to marry him.
My husband is not married to his first wife (because, she is in fact, GAY -- bet that would make Dan Cathy's head spin.) But regardless, God blesses us and our family unit in unimaginable ways. Most importantly, God gave MY family unit loving, non judgemental hearts. I wish Cathy had the same kind of heart.
These supporters eating at Chick-fil-A tomorrow are just as guilty as the Pharisees in the Bible who think they will be rewarded for their righteous attitudes.
Remember: "Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven." Matthew 6:1

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: July 31, 2012 01:52PM

While the exact choice of words may be misinterpreted, the clear intent was:
1. To affirm marriage as meant to be indissoluable and permanent.
2. Affirm what Christ said about marriage.
3. To give Christ, not himself, the glory for his successful marriage. To hold him as a braggart is to clearly misunderstand what he said.
4. While there was a time when to say "first marriage" would imply other marriages, even polygamy, today where 80% of marriages are failing, it is to distinguish the marriages from today's commonplace mores.
5. To suggest that CFA has no-one with marriage problems past or present would be absurd given the vast number of employees. If that were the case, people would be flocking to work for the company because it would appear a cure-all for divorce.

I do not appreciate the deprecation of sentiments which are in agreement with the Bible.

Date: July 31, 2012 02:39PM

Pardon my Anglo-Saxon here, but tough $#!t. The bible is not the Constitution of the United States, nor is it an Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.

And may I point out that Mr. Cathy, in opening his yap in public such as he did, is a perfect example of the kind of hypocrite his own man-god condemned right here:
"And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward." (Matthew 6:5)

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: July 31, 2012 02:21PM

You think he wears panties? I could see it. Explains a lot.

Date: July 31, 2012 02:41PM

Posted by: asia ( )
Date: July 31, 2012 05:59PM

You guys are funny and obviously dont attend church, no better yet , if you attend church just go for the ritual of it and not because you truly believe in Jesus Christ as Lord as Mr. Kathy does. Do me a favor and research what is considered a first wife in the church and get back to me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.