Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 30, 2012 12:46PM

Is anyone else bothered by this idea?

If I see my friends and coworkers being harshly or unfairly treated, I try to help. The same would be true of a church or any organization.

If the leadership is bad and if people are being harmed, I'd want to correct the situation or walk away. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable paying them 10% of my income and giving them free services if they were breaking up families, mistreating single members and infertile couples, harming children's esteem, and if they had a history of bigotry toward minorities, females, and gays.

Yet, so often I hear people say they haven't had the bad experiences that others share, so they don't feel a need to leave the mormon church.

Is that attitude rather self centered and uncaring? Or do these people think that the disguntled exmos they meet and read about deserve what they get for some reason? Or is there something I'm missing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: partymxman ( )
Date: July 30, 2012 03:08PM

The thing is about all religions is that, you get truly, genuine, kind people and you get jerks. The kind people, I believe would be kind no matter what religion they were in.

It seems to be what most people do is judge the church by the people. I had to look at intention. I highly disagree with all the mistreatment. I don't believe that is being Christ-like no matter what religion, but like I said, you'll get that any where you go.

Ultimately looking at what the church is all about and based on is the way to decide if it's for you. If it promotes out-casting, judging others, treating others different because of what ever the differences, then it's obviously not Christ-like. I personally don't like those hurtful things.

Date: July 30, 2012 04:09PM

I don't get mistreatment wherever I go. Sounds like you hang out in a sleezy lowlife side of town.

Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: July 30, 2012 05:20PM

partymxman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It seems to be what most people do is judge the
> church by the people.

But right now the church is making a big push to have non-members do exactly that, judge them by their people. (But they are hand-picking exciting and very non-traditional mormons to put out there to make it look good and inviting.)

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: July 30, 2012 05:21PM

The people who say they are staying because they haven't encountered any bad treatment are telling the truth. You think Donny and Marie have ever had bad treatment? Of course not--they've never been in need, never been not able to pay tithing. They get a pass on the rules, such as garments, weddings, even get to visit their son at the MTC at Christmas.

Of course they have no complaints. Neither did I until I became a divorcee and had doubts and asked embarrassing questions. As long as I was an asset and lived in Orem on the hill, I was fine.

Because I didn't know other people were suffering any institutional harm. Only maybe harm from a cruel member here and there-- like one of my neighbors who wouldn't let her child play with mine because my oldest son (long gone) smoked when he (infrequently) came to visit.

You only realize there is institutional harm when you need help. In my case, I asked for help and found I could not get it until they had, on a week day, checked me out with the COB (the church CIA) to make sure they weren't wasting precious time helping the child of an apostate or non-tithe-payer. What a wake-up call.

We here on RfM hear the same thing from all over the world, so we know it's institutionalized indifference. We know that the church saying all things temporal are spiritual and they care equally about the temporal welfare of their needy members, we know that's just PR to suck people in.

Because of this board, we know the church will not help you if your child has leukemia, if you were a stake president and now need dentures, if you need a job/food/rent unless you are "worthy." And they decide what worthiness means.

Not very Christlike is right.

Anagrammy

Date: July 30, 2012 09:34PM

Are you saying that unless mormons personally experience the pain, they live in denial that it's happening all around them?

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: July 30, 2012 10:48PM

Exactly, Cheryl.

"There is beauty all around

when there's love at home...

Joy and beauty there abound

when there's love at home..."

If there is depression and denial all around,

why it's because there's no love at home.

You can be sure it's your fault, homie,

and I will be turning this visiting teaching

report so somebody can assign somebody

to care.

Anagrammy

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: July 30, 2012 09:37PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2012 10:03PM by MJ.

Date: July 30, 2012 09:49PM

So they look the other way?

Date: July 30, 2012 09:53PM

But it is more than just look the other way.

It's "us against them"
It's "peer pressure"
It's "the in vs. the outs"
"the haves vs haven nots"
group think....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2012 09:59PM by MJ.

Date: July 30, 2012 09:56PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2012 09:57PM by MJ.

Posted by: veni vidi vamoose ( )
Date: July 30, 2012 09:58PM

When they know better, they do better.

If your fear is controlled by another. than you are controlled by another.

Once you are no longer controlled by another, you know better and you do better.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2012 10:22PM by veni vidi vamoose.

Date: July 30, 2012 10:01PM

Do people that fear gays or gay marriage actually "know better"? I think not. Actually I find fear is driven most often by ignorance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2012 10:02PM by MJ.

Posted by: veni vidi vamoose ( )
Date: July 30, 2012 10:18PM

LDS, Inc. breeds ignorance and fear. Fear is that they know NO better.

Date: July 30, 2012 10:11PM

History if full of organizations that have found scapegoats to blame all the world's problems on. People are taught to hate and fear these scapegoats. The members must rally together, protect each other, and fight the scapegoats or <insert nasty repercussion here>

Old time Christianity vs. non-believers
Nazis vs. Jews
KKK vs. Blacks
<insert name of family values organization here> vs gays
Mormons vs the rest of the world.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: July 30, 2012 10:24PM

I was consistently treated poorly by the LDS church. after all my male parent was a convert, so even though I was BIC, I was still a second class member of God's great latter day restoration! And never mind that the first five LDS prophets were converts.

after so many years of this. I finally came to the realization that even if there was a celestial Kingdumb, I certainly had no interest in being there.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.