Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: americangirl406 ( )
Date: August 02, 2012 05:21PM

Since the church changed its stance on blacks, could it change its stance on gays? And IF This happened, do you think they would advertise themselves as the only religion tolerant of gays, thereby gaining more members?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: August 02, 2012 05:28PM

I don't think that's likely. But they're very happy for the world to think they've softened their position against gays (e.g., "allowing" TBMs to march in Gay Pride Parades). And that could very well lead to more people joining the church.

As for the doctrine itself, it may change, but I don't see any evidence of that as yet.

Posted by: Xyandro ( )
Date: August 02, 2012 05:35PM

The world forced the position change as they became open known as racist. They'll eventually be forced to change again, and will claim it was "revelation" again.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: August 02, 2012 05:39PM

there will always be some percentage of 100% dumb LGBTs who will fall for it, but most know our own history pretty well...and there are plenty of religions in America that are gay-friendly. The Mormons will have to go a long way to even pretend they are.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: August 02, 2012 05:41PM

It will happen, but not until they are forced to. They will eventually have no choice or people will leave even faster than they are now, which would be a loss of revenue.

Once the government finally gets a clue and stops legislating discrimination, churches will start to fall in line and most people will start acting like they never had anti-gay views. The Mormon church will hold out for some time after that. Likely until they are publicly embarrassed by sports teams and other groups boycotting BYU for the church's policies.

At some point they will simply have no choice.

There is some hope that the PR departments that are running the public face of the church will realize this sooner than it took for the church to realize that they were way behind the times with it's racist policies in the 60's and 70's, but I'm not holding my breath... It will be at least a few years after gay marriage is legal. And when they do, just like with African Americans, they will have always "loved them" and never discriminated against them, it will just be a clarification of policy. And it won't be a revelation, it will be a declaration.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2012 05:42PM by Finally Free!.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: August 02, 2012 05:41PM

I'd estimate that will happen somewhere in the next 75-200 years.

Posted by: neveragain82 ( )
Date: August 02, 2012 06:00PM

I predict the church wont exsist in 200 years

Posted by: americangirl406 ( )
Date: August 02, 2012 06:12PM

I really really hope your right

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: August 02, 2012 05:46PM

When the church finally has to have the 'revelation' and cave to the decency of society it will be very interesting to see how strong the testimonies really are of those who gave tens of thousands of dollars to defeat Prop8.

First God wants you to defend the church against gays at all costs and then suddenly after you do that, you are the one with egg on your face and the church is backing up so fast it looks like Michael Jackson doing the moon walk.

How many TBM PropH8 donors are going to be standing slack jawed saying WTF? (What the Fudge)

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: August 02, 2012 06:02PM

I hope someone has a video camera on Pam & Rick Patterson and their five sons' house in Folsom CA when all that good news comes down.

"He drives a 10-year-old Honda Civic to his job at Intel. She is a stay-at home mom who makes most of the family meals and bakes her own bread. The couple, who have five sons between the ages of 3 and 12, live in a comfortable but modest three-bedroom home in Folsom."

These are the fools who emptied their savings account of $50,000 and sent it in to the Yes on 8 campaign.

"Sorry you can't go to college boys, them gays wanted to marry and the Lard commanded us!"

Posted by: romy ( )
Date: August 02, 2012 05:56PM

I think they will do whatever keeps people joining and paying tithing and with the bad PR and the social climate changing to more accepting overall they will eventually be forced to.

I really look forward to that day because I think it will make for an easier childhood on those stuck in tssc with TBM parents and I think it would be enough of a doctrinal shift to make lots of members that are still programmed to be bigoted stop and think and possibly really consider if tssc is all that they thought it was. I can see a major change in doctrine like this waking up my own family.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 02, 2012 06:02PM

Eventually the church will be forced to change.

Children are now growing up in two-parent gay households, and their peers are starting to accept this as normal. Laws allowing gay marriage are starting to become more prevalent. At some point, the Supreme Court will likely become involved. It may be slow, but it will happen.

Posted by: nolongerin ( )
Date: August 02, 2012 08:06PM

ELCA Lutherans.
Methodists.
Congregationalists.
United Church.
Unitarians.
Episcopalians.

I'm sure there are others.

So no, I don't think TSCC would have a leg to stand on if it advertised itself as the only church tolerant of gays.

Even now, it is trying to "normalize" and appear mainstream, even as mainstream Christianity is seeking new directions to meet the needs of the SBNR (Spiritual But Not Religious).

So if they claimed to be normal, they would likely find themselves out of sync with the mainstream, once again, in a very few years.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: August 02, 2012 09:21PM

The empire is vast with many resources. We have only our pens. Think about it, if we are victorious, our progress will be asymmetrical too. That is, our victories will look small when compared to the church's wealth-building and mall construction.

We won the racist Cain-curse issue. We are winning in the ManGod dispute (Hinckley surrendered on this point). Our exposure of the temples and the magic underwear is causing huge problems.

Dragons devour, and knights poke and chip away.

Posted by: abo ( )
Date: August 02, 2012 09:24PM

they already are the first religion to allow men to be sealed to other men. They would just be bringing back an old doctrine that allowed same sex sealings.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.