Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: August 05, 2012 05:53PM

I read somewhere they used to teach that Jesus had at least 3 wives?

Can anyone confirm this with a reference?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 05, 2012 06:26PM

No. Those teachings are part of the meat and they are only shared via oral tradition.

Called folklore by GA's whenever they are mentioned.

Which is one of the reasons the old GA's books aren't advertised any more as their revelations are aged into folklore.

Anagrammy

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: August 05, 2012 06:41PM

"Evening Meeting. Prayer By E Stephenson. Joseph F Smith spoke One hour & 25 M. He spoke upon the Marriage in Cana at Galilee. He thought Jesus was the Bridgegroom and Mary & Martha the brides. He also refered to Luke 10 ch. 38 to 42 verse, Also John 11 ch. 2 & 5 vers John 12 Ch 3d vers, John 20 8 to 18. Joseph Smith spoke upon these passages to show that Mary & Martha manifested much Closer relationship than Merely A Believer which looks Consistet. He did not think that Jesus who decended throug Poligamous families from Abraham down & who fulfilled all the Law even baptism by immersion would have lived and died without being married." Wilford Woodruff's Journal 8:187, July 22, 1883 (misspellings included in original)
-------------------

"I discover that some of the Eastern papers represent me as a great blasphemer, because I said, in my lecture on Marriage, at our last Conference, that Jesus Christ was married at Cana of Galilee, that Mary, Martha, and others were his wives, and that he begat children." Journal of Discourses 2:210, Orson Hyde, March 18, 1855
----------------

"It will be borne in mind that once on a time, there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee; and on a careful reading of that transaction, it will be discovered that no less a person than Jesus Christ was married on that occasion. If he was never married, his intimacy with Mary and Martha, and the other Mary also whom Jesus loved, must have been highly unbecoming and improper to say the best of it." Journal of Discourses 4:259, Orson Hyde
--------------------

"We have now clearly shown that God, the Father had a plurality of wives, one or more being in eternity, by whom He begat our spirits as well as the spirit of Jesus His First Born... We have also proved most clearly that the Son followed the example of his Father, and became the great Bridegroom to whom kings' daughters and many honorable Wives to be married." The Seer, p. 172, Orson Pratt
----------

When Joseph Fielding Smith was asked if this meant that Christ had children, Joseph Fielding Smith wrote, "Yes! But do not preach it! The Lord advised us not to cast pearls before swine!" (Letter to J. Ricks Smith, dated March 17, 1963)

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 06, 2012 01:33AM

Posted by: idleswell ( )
Date: August 05, 2012 08:26PM

The best either side (Mormons or not) can state is that early Church leaders speculated that Jesus was a polygamist.

Some LDS leaders speculated that the wedding Jesus attended may have been his own because of his role organizing events. Another speculation is that Jesus appeared to Mary Magdalene first because she was his wife.

There is evidence in Scripture that Jesus was married: the title Rabai is reserved for married men. Nevertheless, who was Jesue married to? Mary, Martha, Mary Magdalene or all of the above?

So depending on who your favorite polygamist was you can find LDS teachings that Jesus was a polygamist. And the Scriptures are just vague enough that they may have been correct!

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 05, 2012 10:51PM

Actually, Jews at that time didn't practice polygamy so it isvery unlikely that Jesus had multiple wives. He could have been married though.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: August 05, 2012 10:49PM

Of course Jesus was a polygamist. If regular men can't get in to the CK without a multitude of wives why should Jesus be the exception.

Or so I was taught in SS and seminary. I don't know if the teachers got these lessons from the manual or if they just made it all up. In the end it's all made up anyway.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 06, 2012 02:18AM

Question -- when Mormons do ordinances for the dead in their temples, do they ever marry women off to Jesus? And if not, why not?

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: August 06, 2012 02:23AM

And I believe they've also posthumously sealed him to the Marys and Martha as well. :)

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: August 06, 2012 02:20AM

I have never heard anything official, but I have heard "We don't know if Jesus was married, but it seems probable that it was. It wouldn't even be unreasonable to assume that he might have even been a polygamous, even though we don't know for sure. Mary Magdalene is probably the best candidate for his first wife.

Date: August 06, 2012 02:24AM

Come to think of it, when Catholic women become Nuns, don't they have a ceremony where they marry Jesus? In that sense, wouldn't he be a polygamist by their faith? Of course they probably don't imagine him having sex with him, and everyone staying good virgins for all eternity, just something weird that popped into my head.

Date: August 06, 2012 02:27AM

No, Catholics call nuns the brides of Christ only in a metaphorical sense. The church is also known as the bride of Christ. Same metaphor.The OT has Israel as the bride and God as the bridegroom. None of these are meant to be literal.

Date: August 06, 2012 02:46AM

So what you are saying is that my plan to disguise myself as Jesus in order to get some hot nun action, will probably not work?

Of course, then again, there are probably some pretty naive nuns out there, and I really do get turned on by a good paddling.

Date: August 06, 2012 02:48AM

Well, you could try, but a lot of the nuns are really old.

Date: August 06, 2012 02:53AM

I was going to say that just makes them GILFs, but if they really are virgins, then there probably is not much chance that they are grannies.

Besides, my plan would probably work better with the younger less experienced nuns.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2012 02:54AM by forbiddencokedrinker.

Date: August 06, 2012 02:59AM

Good luck finding someone that young, naive and stupid.LOL

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: August 06, 2012 04:19AM

forbiddencokedrinker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So what you are saying is that my plan to disguise
> myself as Jesus in order to get some hot nun
> action, will probably not work?
>
> Of course, then again, there are probably some
> pretty naive nuns out there, and I really do get
> turned on by a good paddling.

It's o.k. to hook up with a nun now and then; just don't get into the habit.
:)

Posted by: SCMD ( )
Date: August 06, 2012 11:19AM

Uggghhh

Lostmypassword Wrote:

>
> It's o.k. to hook up with a nun now and then; just
> don't get into the habit.
> :)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 06, 2012 10:08AM

And FBC, those nuns would be after *you* with the paddle. lol

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: August 06, 2012 10:49PM

I've noticed this in our Parish. The priest wears a gold band, too. I can't remember which hand, though. I think I was told as a little girl that the rings meant the nuns were "married to Christ." (Not sure exactly WHO the Priest is supposed to be married to?)

My 17-year-detour into Mormonism has left me fuzzy on some of the fringy Catholic doctrines.

Anyway, I can say with certainty that, despite all the rings and commitments to Christ, the nuns are still expected to remain eternal virgins.

So, basically, what you'd end up with in Heaven is a group of former nuns & priests mixing it up eternally with Jesus Christ. A group of virgin, polygamous, polyandryous spouses (did I get that right?)

Date: August 06, 2012 10:26AM

"The Scripture says that He, the Lord, came walking in the Temple, with "HIS TRAIN; I do not know who they were, unless his wives and children;" (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 13. page 309)

There you have it- The Prophet has spoken....as a man...again.

Date: August 06, 2012 11:29AM

It never dawned on him that they couldn't have been referring to his apostles, or the thousands of people who were always trailing the guy who could magically make feast and liked to feed them?

Date: August 06, 2012 12:56PM

Easier to justify Polygamy if you leave that part out, don'cha know? Precepts of men, mingled with scripture...

Posted by: Chicken'n'Backpacks ( )
Date: August 06, 2012 01:50PM

Doesn't anyone remember that Jesus was an avid model railroader? Much like rock star Rod Stewart, he took his train with him everywhere he performed.

Sheesh! Some basic research....

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 06, 2012 10:40AM

They get their doctrine from early church teachings and it hasn't changed much since.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: August 06, 2012 11:36AM

Statement by Brigham Young, second prophet of the LDS church:

"The Scripture says that He, the Lord, came walking in the Temple, with "HIS TRAIN; I do not know who they were, unless his wives and children;" (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 13. page 309)

The Mormon Apostle Orson Pratt:

"…it will be seen that the GREAT MESSIAH who was the founder of the Christian religion, WAS A POLYGAMIST, . . .the MESSIAH chose. . .by marrying honorable wives himself, show to all future generations that HE approbated the plurality of wives under the Christian dispensation, as well as under the dispensation in which His polygamist ancestors lived. . . .We have now clearly shown that God the Father had a plurality of wives. . ." (The Seer, page 172)

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: August 06, 2012 10:04PM

upsidedown Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Statement by Brigham Young, second prophet of the
> LDS church:
>
> "The Scripture says that He, the Lord, came
> walking in the Temple, with "HIS TRAIN; I do not
> know who they were, unless his wives and
> children;" (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 13. page
> 309)

as some one else pointed out, by the NT story there were lots of ppl that followed Jesus around. this is a classical example of selective IGNORANCE also known as MORmON *PROOF*

>
> The Mormon Apostle Orson Pratt:
>
> "…it will be seen that the GREAT MESSIAH who was
> the founder of the Christian religion, WAS A
> POLYGAMIST, . . .the MESSIAH chose. . .by marrying
> honorable wives himself, show to all future
> generations that HE approbated the plurality of
> wives under the Christian dispensation, as well as
> under the dispensation in which His polygamist
> ancestors lived. . . .We have now clearly shown
> that God the Father had a plurality of wives. . ."
> (The Seer, page 172)

WHY is it that PRatt's version of Jesus seems so bombastic, narcissistic, self consumed, you know, like Joe Smith.
Funny thing, then later on, Joe tried to get Pratt's wife too.
That put a real damper on Pratt's ebullience on the topic of LDS plural wife collecting.

and the thing about Jesus "founder of the Christian religion" that becomes most clear is that no body really cared about what Jewish sheep herders and carpenters were doing, until the Roman Empire came along and told them to at the threat of their losing their lives that some Jewish messiah was now their new official God. Even more funny is that the Jews still don't care about or accept that Jewish carpenter as their messiah. The real founder of the Christian religion was the Roman Empire.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: August 06, 2012 12:59PM

But they were also trying to downplay those sorts of things then.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 06, 2012 01:09PM

Yes, and since JC was sexually active with his wives, the GAs have been Jesus' descendants.

More agrandizement for Mormon leaders

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2012 01:11PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: snowowl ( )
Date: August 06, 2012 07:27PM

"When our father Adam came into the garden of Eden, he came into it with a celestial body, and brought Eve, one of his wives with him." Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, vol. 1, p. 50

Some of the Mormon people believed "that Joseph Smith the Prophet taught that Adam had two wives." Journal of Discourses, vol. 26, p. 115

"Celsus was a heathen philosopher; and what does he say upon the subject of Christ and his Apostles.... He says, "The grand reason why the Gentiles and philosophers of his school persecuted Jesus Christ, was, because he had so many wives; there were Elizabeth, and Mary, and a host of others that followed him. . . .

The grand reason of the burst of public sentiment in anathemas upon Christ and his disciples, causing his crucifixion, was evidently based on polygamy.... A belief in the doctrine of a plurality of wives caused the persecution of Jesus, and his followers. We might almost think they were 'Mormons'." Jedediah M. Grant, second counselor to Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, vol. 1, pp. 345-46

"It will be borne in mind that once on a time, there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee; ... no less a person than Jesus Christ was married on that occasion. If he was never married, his intimacy with Mary and Martha, and the other Mary also whom Jesus loved, must have been highly unbecoming and improper to say the least of it.
I will venture to say that if Jesus Christ were now to pass through the most pious countries in Christendom with a train of women, such as used to follow him, ... he would be mobbed, tarred, and feathered, and rode not on an ass, but on a rail....
At this doctrine the long-faced hypocrite and the sanctimonious bigot will probably cry, blasphemy! . . . Object not, therefore, too strongly against the marriage of Christ ..." Apostle Orson Hyde, Journal of Discourses, vol. 4, pp. 259-60.

"I discover that some of the Eastern papers represent me as a great blasphemer, because I said, in my lecture on Marriage, at our last Conference, that Jesus Christ was married at Cana of Galilee, that Mary, Martha, and others were his wives, and that he begat children.
All that I have to say in reply to that charge is this—they worship a Savior that is too pure and holy to fulfill the commands of his Father. I worship one that is just pure and holy enough "to fulfill all righteousness;" not only the righteous law of baptism, but the still more righteous and important law "to multiply and replenish the earth." Apostle Orson Hyde, Journal of Discourses, vol. 2, p. 210

"The Scripture says that He, the LORD, came walking in the Temple, with His train; I do not know who they were, unless His wives and children ..." Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, vol. 13, p. 309.

". . . it will be seen that the great Messiah who was the founder of the Christian religion, was a polygamist, ... the Messiah chose to ... by marrying many honorable wives himself, show to all future generations that he approbated the plurality of wives under the Christian dispensation....
We have now clearly shown that God the Father had a plurality of wives, one or more being in eternity, by whom He begat our spirits as well as the spirit of Jesus His first Born, and another being upon the earth by whom He begat the tabernacle of Jesus, as his only begotten in this world. We have also proved most clearly that the Son followed the example of his Father, and became the great Bridegroom to whom kings' daughters and many honorable wives were to be married. We have also proved that both God the Father and our Lord Jesus Christ inherit their wives in eternity as well as in time; ... it would be so shocking to the modesty of the very pious ladies of Christendom to see Abraham and his wives, Jacob and his wives, Jesus and his honorable wives, all eating occasionally at the same table, ... If you do not want your morals corrupted, and your delicate ears shocked and your pious modesty put to the blush by the society of polygamists and their wives, do not venture near the New Earth; for polygamists will be honored there, and will be among the chief rulers in that Kingdom." Apostle Orson Pratt, The Seer, p. 172

"If none but Gods will be permitted to multiply immortal children, it follows that each God must have one or more wives." Apostle Orson Pratt, The Seer, p. 158

"One of the wives of Brigham Young—Mrs. Augusta Cobb Young ... requested of her Prophet husband a favor of a most extraordinary description. She had forsaken her lawful husband and family ... to join the Saints, ... when the lady of whom I speak asked him to place her at the head of his household, he refused: ... finding that she could not be Brigham's "queen," and having been taught by the highest Mormon authorities that our Savior had, and has, many wives, she requested to be "sealed" to him! Brigham Young told her (for what reason I do not know) that it really was out of his power to do that, but that he would do "the next best thing" for her—he would "seal" her to Joseph Smith. So she was sealed to Joseph Smith, ... in the resurrection she will leave him [Young] and go over to the original Prophet." Author: Fanny Stenhouse, Tell It All, p. 255 See also: Stanley S. Ivins, Joseph Smith and Polygamy, p. 46

"Now, briefly, the reason that the Lord, through the Prophet Joseph, introduced the doctrine of plural marriage, and the reason that the Church ... has never and will never relinquish the doctrine of plural marriage, is simply this: The major purpose of the Church is to help man attain the great eternal destiny suggested in that couplet ...plural marriage is the patriarchal order of marriage lived by God and others who reign in the Celestial Kingdom. As well might the Church relinquish its claim to the Priesthood as the doctrine of plural marriage." John J. Stewart, Brigham Young and His Wives, (1961), p. 41

"Plural marriage was a common practice among God's chosen people.... Mary, Martha, Mary Magdalene and many other women were beloved of Jesus. For a person to say that he believes the Bible but does not believe the doctrine of plural marriage is something akin to saying that he accepts the Constitution but not the Bill of Rights." John J. Stewart, Brigham Young and His Wives, (1961), p. 26

From: The Changing World of Mormonism, chapter 9, part 2 http://www.utlm.org/onlinebooks/changech9b.htm#247

Posted by: Jim Huston ( )
Date: August 06, 2012 07:34PM

Jesus’s wives and children
Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, vol. 13, p. 309
The Scripture says that He, the Lord, came walking in the Temple, with His train; I do not know who they were, unless His wives and children;

Jesus is married
Orson Hyde, Journal of Discourses, vol. 4, p. 259
It will be borne in mind that once on a time, there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee; and on a careful reading of that transaction, it will be discovered that no less a person than Jesus on that occasion. If he was never married, his intimacy with Mary and Martha, and the other Mary also whom Jesus loved, must have been highly unbecoming and improper to say the best of it.

Jesus was a polygamist
Orson Hyde, Journal of Discourses, vol. 2, p. 210
I discover that some of the Eastern papers represent me as a great blasphemer, because I said, in my lecture on Marriage, at our last Conference, that Jesus Christ was married at Cana of Galilee, that Mary, Martha, and others were his wives, and that he begat children.

Jesus’ persecution was due to Polygamy
Jedediah M. Grant, Journal of Discourses, vol. 1, p. 346
The grand reason why the Gentiles and philosophers of his school persecuted Jesus Christ, was, because he had so many wives; there were Elizabeth, and Mary, and a host of others that followed him.

Jesus married to Mary, Martha and “others”
Orson Hyde Journal of Discourses v2 p81
"How was it with Mary and Martha, and other women that followed him [Jesus]? In old times, and it is common in this day, the women, even as Sarah, called their husbands Lord; the word Lord is tantamount to husband in some languages, master, lord, husband, are about synonymous... When Mary of old came to the sepulchre on the first day of the week, instead of finding Jesus she saw two angels in white, 'And they say unto her, Woman, why weepest thou?' She said unto them,' Because they have taken away my Lord,' or husband, 'and I know not where they have laid him.' And when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not that it was Jesus. Jesus saith unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? She, supposing him to be the gardener, saith unto him, Sir, if thou have borne him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away. Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.' Is there not here manifested the affections of a wife. These words speak the kindred ties and sympathies that are common to that relation of husband and wife"

Jesus showed himself to his wives first when resurrected
Orson Pratt The Seer p 159
"One thing is certain, that there were several holy women that greatly loved Jesus -- such as Mary, and Martha her sister, and Mary Magdalene; and Jesus greatly loved them, and associated with them much; and when He arose from the dead, instead of showing Himself to His chosen witnesses, the Apostles, He appeared first to these women, or at least to one of them -- namely, Mary Magdalene. Now it would be natural for a husband in the resurrection to appear first to his own dear wives, and afterwards show himself to his other friends. If all the acts of Jesus were written, we no doubt should learn that these beloved women were His wives"

Jesus was from a polygamist line
Joseph F. Smith Journal of Wilford Woodruff v8 p 187
"Evening Meeting. Prayer By E Stephenson. Joseph F Smith spoke One hour & 25 M. He spoke upon the Marriage in Cana at Galilee. He thought Jesus was the Bridgegroom and Mary & Martha the brides. He also refered to Luke 10 ch. 38 to 42 verse, Also John 11 ch. 2 & 5 vers John 12 Ch 3d vers, John 20 8 to 18. Joseph Smith spoke upon these passages to show that Mary & Martha manifested much Closer relationship than Merely A Believer which looks Consistet. He did not think that Jesus who decended throug Poligamous families from Abraham down & who fulfilled all the Law even baptism by immersion would have lived and died without being married."

Jesus married at Cana
Heber C. Kimball Biography of Apostle Heber C. Kimball, p. 275
"Heber taught, as did a few other Mormons of his day, that Christ was married—indeed that Christ was married to both Mary and Martha and that the famous wedding of Cana was in reality Christ's own wedding. In his own mind Heber was not only a follower of Christ, but a literal descendant. In his last public sermon, two months before his death, he said, "You do not know who Heber C. Kimball is, or you would do better."If one can accept the possibility of Christ's marriage, then such a descent is possible.”

Jesus was a literal bridgroom
Orson Pratt, The Seer, Vol.1, No.11, p. 169-p.
"We are not informed at what time Jesus was to be married to this kin's daughter or to any of the rest of His wives. But from what John the Baptist says, He may have been married to some of them previous to that prophets martyrdom: The passage is as follows; 'He that hath the Bride is the Bridegroom: but the friend of the Bridegroom, which standeth and heareth Him, rejoiceth greatly because of the Bridegroom's voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled. He must increase, but I must decrease.' (John 3: 29, 30.) And again, 'Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber mourn, as long as the Bridegroom is with them? but the days will come, when the Bridegroom shall be taken from them, and then shall they fast.' (Mathew 9: 15.) John represents Jesus as already in the possession of the Bride; while the Saviour confirms what John says, by calling Himself 'the Bridegroom,' and the disciples 'the children of the Bridechamber,' but who the Bride was neither of them informs us. Whether Jesus had married any of His wives at that time or not, it is very evident that there will be a marriage of the Son of God at the time of His second coming: for Jesus said, 'The kingdom of heaven is like unto a certain king, which made a marriage for his son, and sent forth his servants to call them that were bidden to the wedding: and they would not come.'"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.