Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koriwhoremonger ( )
Date: August 05, 2012 09:08PM

Today I'm totally embarrassed to be living in Utah. It seems like there is a never ending stream of ignorance and bigotry on parade. Well today I finally had enough. My in-laws were down for dinner celebrating my daughters visit to the Oracle. Yep, the Stake Patriarch laid his hands on her head and read her fortune. I don't know what the sooth sayer said because I didn't go but I hope her horoscope is a good one.

During the meal Grampa asked(identity hidden so he/she won't get fired from that chicken place) how great the crowds were on support the bigots day here in Utah County. Grampa seemed to think it was some kind of miracle that so many fine members of the church would make such a spontaneous demonstration of ...what? Hatred? ...no...he claimed it was a show of solidarity....

I was sitting there, biting my tongue as the anger roiled. My youngest son asked: “What was that day?” I didn't hesitate and in an overly sweet tone I replied: “It was Hate the Homosexual Day”. After a moment of awkward silence the conversation started up again on a completely different subject. I didn't change any-body's mind but at least I prevented bigotry from being celebrated around my dinner table.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: August 05, 2012 09:43PM

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: August 05, 2012 09:46PM

I have to occasionally be forced to TBM activity in my home when my parents visit.

I hate it, yet feel a little better than them because I show them enough respect to let them have their thing in my house.

They would not show me the same respect in their house.

The difference? My beliefs can withstand scrutiny and I welcome questions.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: August 05, 2012 09:47PM

I don't tolerate hate speech in my house PERIOD. It took a couple of years to come to an agreement with my FIL. I respected him a lot for it.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: August 06, 2012 12:55PM

LOL! Great response!

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: August 06, 2012 01:11PM

Wow! I like your style.

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: August 06, 2012 01:36PM

I'm sure it was related to this incident and our discussion about bigotry after her parents left. Anyway, she says I'm angry at everybody and everything.

She may be right.

I am angry. I'm not gay. At least not gay enough to join the union but why shouldn't I be angry? Equal rights are worth fighting for. Even if it isn't my rights that are being violated this time, they could be next time. When any one of us is suppressed we are all suppressed. Some of us are just too thick to realize that.

Now I'm worried because maybe the stress of living as an exmo in Utah county is taking a toll on me.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: August 06, 2012 01:48PM

Anger?!?

Shame on Gramps for assuming everyone in the room thought the same way he and his cult think.

I see no reason why you should have to sit in your own house and politely let someone rant on about their bigotry. Especially if you happen to completely disagree.

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: August 06, 2012 01:49PM

Word. That was a zinger, too.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: August 06, 2012 02:14PM

Stunted Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Even if it
> isn't my rights that are being violated this time,
> they could be next time. When any one of us is
> suppressed we are all suppressed. Some of us are
> just too thick to realize that.

First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

--Martin Niemoeller (1892-1984), on the failure of German intellectuals to speak out against the rise of Nazism.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: August 07, 2012 02:40AM

If it's good enough for God then it's good enough for us, right? This would definitely be what you might consider a "righteous" anger.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: August 06, 2012 01:50PM

Start comparing their view of gays to their view of blacks back in the sixties. They hate it when you do that.

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: August 06, 2012 01:57PM

All you have to do is repeat back what they say or write and substitute "colored" or "negro" for "gay" and "Homosexual". It instantly reveals how hollow their arguments are and the best they can do is stutter and bluster and claim "it isn't the same thing".

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: August 06, 2012 01:57PM

Many years ago my mom and dad had a little bitty advertising agency...they 'fired' a wealthy customer because they got hearily sick of his bigoted talk. Guy can't carry on a conversation without puttin someone down. It was makin em sick to hafta listen to it... Later on mom goes, "Customer is always right MY @$$!!

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: August 07, 2012 02:18AM

this week, as well.

I wasn't there, but she said they got all upset and offended because they felt their beliefs were being attacked.

Well maybe they shouldn't have brought it up, if they didn't want to have to defend their point of view.

It always amazes me when people take a strong position on a controversial issue, and then get upset when people disagree.

And what's with the bad manners of bringing up politics and religion at a social event where people are supposed to get along?

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: August 07, 2012 10:34AM

Some day, people will show the pictures of those on the wrong side of history, just like they now show the pictures of George Wallace and Bull Connor.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.