Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nomomomo ( )
Date: December 19, 2010 12:49PM

We have alot of stuff to donate, well, a fair amount. I think mens clothes and shoes mostly, lots of Christmas deco, good stuff.

So, I have always gone to DI because of sheer convenience. Since I left the church I have still justified it because I figured that people who really need clothes and such would get it for free from the welfare system.

Whenever I donate, I make a throw away pile, and a DI pile, I don't give junk. I would rather give it to people directly but I have always been told that it would go to shelters, etc, since the church helps local agenicies too.

But reading here lately, I wonder. Do they indeed help local pepole here? Do they give this stuff for free? I dont' get receipts either, now that I don't tithe I can't itemize anyway,and it is a donation.

so, I want to help someone for real. I give books and DVDs to the new boxes up for needy children instead of DI. I would rather help homeless or women in shelters, but I have no idea of where to go. When I ask others round here they say they all get help from DI. Is this true?

It would be nice to find somewhere who would take donations on Sunday too!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ultratbmmegalord ( )
Date: December 19, 2010 12:53PM

Posted by: Lillium ( )
Date: December 19, 2010 02:02PM

I used to donate to Salvation Army until I discovered that they are a fundamentalist religion that thinks god hates gays. They used to have a really hateful statement about that on their website. I see it's been updated in the last few years to state their views more kindly, but they still think being gay is a sin against god. To be clear, SA doesn't discriminate when they give, but they don't allow gays to work there and gays are not welcome in their church.

Now I give to a local women's shelter (Boise) that has a thrift shop. They're not affiliated with any religion, nor do they require their clients to attend a religious ceremony like the local homeless shelter does.

Posted by: badkid ( )
Date: December 19, 2010 01:16PM

Savers thrift stores do not donate items directly to the needy but return some of their proceeds to Big Bros./ Big Sisters and other charities they are in partnership with. You can check out their website for more info.

Posted by: frederika ( )
Date: May 19, 2015 10:40PM

Savers is a for profit company that partners with local charities and splits the proceeds 50/50. So after they take their cut and the charity covers their expenses, very little actually does good in the community. Salvation army, goodwill and Vincent's are much better bets.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: May 21, 2015 12:48PM

Posted by: SisterSue ( )
Date: December 19, 2010 02:18PM

I refuse to donate to the DI any more. They're all about the profit. Some of their prices are outrageous. I take all my items to Savers. You can also look for Big Brothers/Sisters donation boxes in various parking lots. Another idea is the Methodist church. They collect items and have rummage sales. They help youth groups or homeless stay in their churches. I feel better knowing that I don't directly or indirectly help the Morg.

Date: December 19, 2010 02:47PM

I don't even think we have salvation army, maybe in SLC. Good will I don't think either.

I always wondered about savers. they are a bit farther away, but if I plan my trips....I just want someone to get stuff they need and not have to pay for it, whether being charged for it or paying tithing to get it.

Posted by: neverevermo ( )
Date: December 19, 2010 02:56PM

in slc the junior league takes new toiletries and women's business/work clothes to help women get back on their feet.

The YWCA takes things.

I think the Utah Pride center is affiliated with Your Thrift Alternative around 300 south 300 east.

Posted by: kjl ( )
Date: December 19, 2010 03:27PM

The Ronald McDonald house or local homeless shelter are good options if items are in decent condition and needed.

Posted by: kjl ( )
Date: December 19, 2010 03:28PM

You may need to drive a litte..up to Salt Lake though for that. Salvation army is a much better choice than the DI too.

Posted by: possiblypagan ( )
Date: December 19, 2010 11:35PM

Most of you probably know someone with MS (Multiple Sclerosis), a disabling, FRUSTRATING disease. Please donate to Friends of MS. Here are some drop-off locations in Utah County. See http://friendsofms.com for more info.

Provo - Kid To Kid - 2250 North University Parkway
Lindon - Kid To Kid - 155 South Main Street
Spanish Fork - Splish Splash - 300 South Main Street
Spanish Fork - My Sisters Closet - 230 North Main Street
Spanish Fork - Little Acorn - 3600 East Highway 6
Springville - Wandering Wardrobe - 511 South Main Street

They will also pick up your clothing and household items when they're in your area.

Thanks! ~Someone with MS

Date: December 20, 2010 12:45AM

Thanks, these places are known to me and convenient, and indeed for a good cause. They call here occasionally, actually got into a fender bender with their truck last december.

Maybe I should just save up a load, though i was trying to get rid of my ex's stuff and kind of clean out if you know what I mean.

I can go to the kid-to-kid in Lindon, perfect.

Thanks for the info, I had forgotten about friends of ms

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: December 20, 2010 12:40AM

Posted by: piscespirate ( )
Date: December 20, 2010 12:50AM

They are VERY VERY picky on what they will sell. Which I'm grateful for when DD's outgrown her outfits yet again, I don't know where we'd be without them. If they don't deem it nice enough to resell they donate it to Utah foster care.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: December 20, 2010 12:54AM

I donate to the Goodwill or the children's home in my area. If I have time I'll seek out a church or somewhere that just gives away stuff for free to donate to instead of the Goodwill.

Our ward was asking people to bring items to donate to the DI to the ward Christmas party. The YM/YW were going to drop off the stuff as an activity.

I just rolled my eyes. No real heartfelt service or charity. Not even for Christmas.

Posted by: bumfoods ( )
Date: December 20, 2010 01:22AM

Once at DI I saw a Wal-Mart toaster that sells for $7 new at Wal-Mart on sale for $10 at DI in bad shape. WTF?

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: December 20, 2010 08:02AM

In Provo, there's the Food Care and Coalition. I can't remember if they are located on 400 or 300 west and Center. They love being able to distribute clothes to the needy. I don't know about other items, though.

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: December 20, 2010 11:02AM

The auxiliary of our local hospital runs a thrift store in town. I usually donate to them. All of the profits help the hospital, not a church that already extorts 10% of its members' incomes.

Goodwill recently opened a donation center on a church parking lot in our town. Maybe will bring things there as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2010 11:03AM by PtLoma.

Posted by: possiblypagan ( )
Date: December 21, 2010 01:27AM

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 20, 2012 04:46PM

there is a new Goodwill store at 4545 S. 900 E. in Salt Lake..it used to be an upscale furniture store.

Also, Habitat for Humanity is always in need of gently used furniture and housewares. They will come get items from your place.

The battered women's shelter in Provo needs clothing and baby clothes, diapers, baby furniture etc. I donated a crib to them years ago and we had to meet in a place that I was told never to divulge due to safety of the women who were there. That tugged at my heartstrings very much.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 20, 2012 04:59PM

too bad the costs of Overhead have to be paid by someone.

I hadn't heard of 'kid to kid' before; does GWill publish its financials? Another Reason why 'charities' & religions should be REQUIRED to, IMHO.

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: November 20, 2012 05:57PM

If you have AmVets where you are, they will pick up furniture, household goods and clothing for free. Benefits American Veterans.

Check to see if you can schedule a pickup; you don't need to be home to have them stop by on the day they are routinely in your area, just leave the stuff on your porch:

http://www.amvetspickup.org/pickup.php

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 12:02PM

bookratt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you have AmVets where you are, they will pick
> up furniture, household goods and clothing for
> free. Benefits American Veterans.
>
> Check to see if you can schedule a pickup; you
> don't need to be home to have them stop by on the
> day they are routinely in your area, just leave
> the stuff on your porch:
>
> http://www.amvetspickup.org/pickup.php

I believe AM Vets is a for profit company. You give them free stuff and they sell it for profit.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: November 16, 2014 09:22PM

Take it to the homeless shelter, toys to the children's cancer ward at a hospital.

Posted by: always Christian never mormon ( )
Date: May 19, 2015 11:49AM

There's a women's shelter in Kaysville that's pretty private. They don't want the men to find the women and children that go there for shelter. But they will accept a lot of women's clothing , children's clothing and toys and toiletries. Always need good clothing(they want they're residents to feel at home and well cared for so everything should be like new or new. It's a bit of a challenge to get through the doors as you need to Buzz in and give your explanation as to why you're there as well as sign a donation form and see if your items are acceptable. But All worth the while. Lots of abused women there... They try to help them prepare to live on their own and get jobs etc.
Also, sadly I've learned that the Catholic Community Services of Utah are run by the mormons...however, having gone many years ago for need of food etc.they do give everything free to Lots of homeless and low income!! A very good place to donate at!!

Posted by: FormerCatholic ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 11:32AM

Catholic Community Svcs are not run by the Mormons. It's a Catholic church run organization. ;)

Posted by: bornagainpagan ( )
Date: May 19, 2015 12:08PM

It's not in Utah County, but the Assistance League of SLC is a really great charity. It's on 3300 south and about 2000 east. They have a thrift store, and the money they make goes to purchase brand new clothes and COATS for disadvantaged elementary school aged kids. It's my charity of choice for all household donations.

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: May 19, 2015 12:19PM

You can give stuff away in the free category on the KSL classifieds. That's what I do when I have something that wouldn't sell for much but I don't want to throw it away.

Posted by: ElderCarrion ( )
Date: May 19, 2015 12:23PM

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2508327-155/investigation-utah-prison-inmate-allegedly-mailed

Just thought I'd pass this along. Just in case you were thinking of it.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: May 19, 2015 12:32PM

Check out a few Christian churches (Non-LDS) in your area and ask about their program for the poor and homeless.

Most have a program that collects and give to those who are needy ir-regardless of their religious belief.

Posted by: beanhead ( )
Date: May 19, 2015 07:13PM

In my area, we had Thrift World which was "nonprofit" because it donated a whopping 3% of profits to disabled veterans. What a joke.

Unfortunately I think most secondhand stores give very little to the needy... they are "nonprofit" and "charitable"?... yeah right.

I volunteered at one thrift store in my area, lets call it Nickels for Improvement (not the real name). It was very poorly run- I've seen garage sales generate better and faster profit.

They had loads of good stuff in storage- but they wouldn't put it on the floor until it was priced. So the items were just getting moldy in storage... and all the overpriced crap on the sales floor was getting moldy on the racks... still don't understand why they didn't just make everything $1 and call it a day.

Just put your stuff in a trashcan saves a lot of headache.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.