Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 05:14PM

I couldn't believe how awful looking this room is. I swear they have moved the furniture and rug from an older temple.

The room looks so dated and ugly. I wonder if it is used stuff from the demolished "Inn at temple Square" or the "Joseph Smith building". I know the church is fond of the victorian era but gag!

http://news.hjnews.com/news/article_7d82224a-e683-11e1-9854-0019bb2963f4.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 05:18PM

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 05:18PM

It's definitely dated and ugly, but it's also HUGE compared to most of the others I've seen out here in the mission field.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 05:19PM

They just got worshiping God and worshiping Gaudy confused.

It's a simple mistake anyone could make really...

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 05:21PM

What they need is a really good gay interior decorator.

BTW, I looked at it, and wasn't moved one way or another. It just looked like a furnished room to me. But then again, I will be the first to admit that I have absolutely no fashion sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2012 05:22PM by forbiddencokedrinker.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 05:24PM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 05:31PM

LDS "can't" do Modern in their buildings; that would be Blasphemy!

with the gaudy furninshings & decor... NO ONE would want to loiter in ANY of the rooms of a Temple, None.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2012 05:32PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: Jeff ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 05:49PM

Looks to me like the waiting room in a French bordello, circa 1890. Or possibly Rush Limbaugh's sitting room.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 05:56PM

I realize that they were trying to strive for an elegant effect, but it looks depressing to me. Shouldn't a bride's room be cheerful looking?

Just once, I wish the Mormon church would spring for a really top-notch decorator.

Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 06:40PM

I always have to jump in and defend the designers when these threads pop up, since I work with so many that are really good.

They really do try to present nicer ideas, but those get shot down every time.

They have to work within a catalog of approved furniture, paintings, flowers, carpets, etc. so there's not much they can do.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 08:53PM

foggy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They have to work within a catalog of approved furniture, paintings, flowers, carpets, etc. so there's not much they can do.

Right, I forgot about that. It's like they're decorating Mariotts. Everything cookie-cutter. Knock 'em out ASAP.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 08:03PM

If I had to guess, some body has a wife that would really like to be an interior decorator. They let her pick out all the furnishings for the brides room.

When I lived back east there was a couple on a mission there. Her job was to shop at antique stores day in and day out. She then decorated the historical sites. She was not an antique expert, or a decorator. However, she had always wanted to do that, so the church gave her a blank check and told her to start shopping.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 08:55PM

And then there are senior missionaries who spend two years working 12 hour days, putting new roofs on the barns in the church's ranches in Brazil...

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 08:07PM

wait until you see the celestial room!

http://www.dubaihotel.ws/luxury/burj-al-arab-luxury-suite.jpg

J.K., LOL!

Posted by: RfMMichael ( )
Date: August 16, 2012 10:01PM

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 08:10PM

Her living room was a fraction of that size, of course, but the colors and style are dead ringers.

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 09:45PM

Long ago I walked into the office where my wife worked, and saw her boss watching new carpet being installed.

I said "I hope that's the carpet pad, because it's butt ugly."

He said "Your wife picked it."

I said "Really nice carpet."

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 09:52PM

It reminds me of that weird hotel suite at the end of "2001, A Space Oddysey." Some alien's idea of human lodging.

Posted by: diableavecargent ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 09:53PM

I think the consideratons are when acrhitecting these things:

1- Could Brother Joesph bang a teen in this room?

2- Could Brother Brigham bang a wife in this room?

Then it is good enough for the Awlrighty Mighty then.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 09:57PM

Why the orange chairs?

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 10:17PM

They match the orange print on the sofas!

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 10:19PM

Orange velvet chairs, and silver leafed tables. They are a trend in the decorating world. For the moment anyway.

Date: August 15, 2012 10:18PM

I'm having equilibrium issues just looking at the picture... the pattern on the walls plus the spoke-ish lines on the carpet make me feel like it's moving and tilting in some weird way.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 10:31PM

eerie.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 11:04PM

And they have to share it with other brides getting married on the same day! GAG!

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 11:07PM

Foggy - they even control the carpeting, wall colors, all that stuff? BEWARE is what I take out of that.
I didn't expect it to be red but, please, does it all have to shades of beige? GAG!
NO FULL LENGTH MIRROR IN THE BRIDE'S ROOM? Really? I guess the brides don't want to see the awful get up they have to wear for the endowments.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2012 11:09PM by enoughenoch19.

Date: August 15, 2012 11:16PM

Isn't that a full-length mirror in the center of the far wall?

Date: August 16, 2012 12:26PM

They have an approved catalog of pretty much everything that goes into their buildings.

It is so sad to see the new designers come in all excited to work on temples and such. After just one project they all get the same terrified look in their eyes when a new one comes in...

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 11:17PM

Maybe they do this so their wedding night won't be such a disappointment, comparatively?

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: August 16, 2012 04:49PM

I once bought those exact same white wash french chairs many years ago at Costco. Not kidding.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: August 16, 2012 11:47PM

I wish we could post pictures.

The worst so-called "Bride's Room" I have ever seen is the **NEWLY REMODELED** Mexico City temple.

Ooh. Just found a link to it.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/TV34gwxqFpYJgldOGBEqnQ

My god, but it is heinous.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 17, 2012 12:32AM

Who's the decorator? The set designer of the Lawrence Welk Show?

Date: August 17, 2012 10:33AM

Last night it hit me why they don't switch up the style of the rooms.

Something in the temple has to stay unchanged through the years...

Posted by: hope ( )
Date: August 17, 2012 10:45AM

As a new convert, I toured the newly opened one in Atlanta and they spare no expense - albeit gawdy. They crushed the former chandelier into pieces and incorporated those into the stain-glassed window edges. $$$. Also the 'tour guide' just stated the name of the room and said nothing else, which struck me, again, as odd. If the temple is such a spiritual place why can't more be said as to the history or significance of the rooms. The only thing I can think of is - controversy. I walked away from that tour wondering what the big deal was but thought it was just me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2012 10:46AM by hope.

Posted by: cl2 (not logged in) ( )
Date: August 17, 2012 11:00AM

I am from Brigham City--so I run over there often from Cache Valley. I kept wondering what they were going to do about parking--I about had an accident taking a double take at what they did to the front lawn and trees in front of the beautiful tabernacle. The temple is a monstrosity on a piece of land that is far too small for it.

Oh--and I did note that they got it wrong in the article--they said the temple was across the street--no, the tabernacle was across the street. I've also been told that Packer owned the land and donated it. Obviously not (per the article).

Posted by: swirlything ( )
Date: August 17, 2012 12:03PM

Oh how I enjoyed vying for mirror-time when I had to share the brides' dressing room with 5 other women getting married that morning. They sure know how to make you feel special on your wedding day... NOT.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.