Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: toasty ( )
Date: August 17, 2012 11:12PM

When this mugshot came through I recognized this guy from some dealings with the church. Dr. Timothy Bothell goes around and trains mission presidents, at least when he's not alledgedly abusing kids that is...he portrayed himself as a pillar of the community, a father of three, a scholar.

Here's his mugshot from yesterday.

http://bustedutah.com/city/2012/08/17/bothell-timothy-william-arrested-08162012-thursday-in-davis-county-ut/

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/tim-bothell/6/8a7/a57

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: August 17, 2012 11:19PM

By their fruits shall Ye know them........

Posted by: mike ( )
Date: August 17, 2012 11:23PM

The gift of discernment seems to go Missing In Action so often.

Wonder why that is.

Sick POS.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 17, 2012 11:25PM

Wow - he looks so stereotypically Mormon. And they want us to trust our kids to guys who look the part, in bishop interviews, simply because they want us to believe they are called of God. Shows you just can't tell what is going on behind the image.

Date: August 18, 2012 02:40AM

This is why so many get away with it.
Who would _ever_ believe such an
upstanding, honest pillar of the Mormon/any religious/athletic/university community
would do something so horrible?

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: August 17, 2012 11:48PM

You can see his Mormon smile through his shirt. Where do Mormons find all those translucent shirts anyhow? The magic underwear will be interesting in the slammer. My guess, like Joseph Smith, they will be gone shortly. Ditch the Gs, Elder.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 12:20AM

You have to wear issued undies while in either prison or jail. Many jails dye theirs pink so the accused don't steal them when they leave. This is done because a lot of people have hung themselves with the elastic straps from their own underwear, so corrections underwear is elastic strap free.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: August 17, 2012 11:55PM

Any details on who he abused? Was it someone in his ward? His own kids? I knew this guy. Never would have expected this of him. I am actually saddened to think he could do something like this. Have the charges been proven?

Posted by: diableavecargent ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 12:11AM

Mug shot has been viewed 221 times.....

Helemon:
There is also a write this inmate link next to his picture. I guess you could ask him. That's a fun feature.

Date: August 18, 2012 10:43AM

yeah but they charge you for the service

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 12:54AM

Not that I don't get some kind of sick satisfaction out of stories like this--especially when it's true. Love to see the holier-than-thou knocked down where they belong.

But I've seen lives destroyed, especially when people are accused of sex abuse, and especially with a child. Even if they are found innocent or something went wrong procedurally so they get off. They spend the rest of their lives always having people wonder. These are the cases where it suits me better to give them the benefit of the doubt and consider them innocent until proven guilty. When and if that's the case, yeah we can burn the bastard.

Posted by: nancy rigdon ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 08:09AM

I agree with your point, but the article says he admitted it.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 08:42AM

Just saw the links below here where it links to the story and his partial confession. It makes me less touchy about the fact that he's being considered guilty on a bulletin board if he admits to it. And "accidentally" exposing himself?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2012 08:46AM by NormaRae.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 10:00AM

Innocent until proven guilty is an important principle, but it is also for the Justice System. We as non-involved individuals have the right to look over the evidence, and reach our own conclusion. It is wise to hold off from judgement until we have a healthy amount of facts, but we don't need the opinion of the jury to hold our own. OJ Simpson anyone?

That said, I am waiting until more details come out, to make my own conclusion, because I wasn't there. However, if a church big shot got himself arrested in Utah, then something funny is going on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2012 10:01AM by forbiddencokedrinker.

Posted by: SLDrone ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 01:53AM

I know this family. They are great people and active in giving to the community. (and I don't just mean at Church) I'm a fairly jaded person but I have to say I am absolutely shocked and heart sick to hear this news. I've known Tim Bothell and his family through community involvement and I've always had the highest regard for him. My heart goes out to all his victims, including his own family, his wonderful wife and fantastic children, who must now face the consequences of his actions. Who knows what lurks in the hearts of men?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2012 01:59AM by SLDrone.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 07:58AM

It really is a shock when we find out things like this about people we admire. It is saddening. Sexual abuse seems to be the shadow side of MOrmonism.

Date: August 18, 2012 03:11AM

...twelve times to a 13 year old.

Date: August 18, 2012 10:38AM

I thought garments were meant to prevent that.

Date: August 18, 2012 03:57AM

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/54719907-78/church-bothell-child-female.html.csp

The cult is already distancing itself from the perv. They are calling him a "former employee" and not a fired employee as a result of his arrest. He was arrested on Thursday and fired on Friday. They are also saying that his "former and current positions" do not "play any part in the case". Not so fast Trotter, you effing spinmeister, as an ecclesiastical authority the crime is more severe with the minors. Bothell was in the Centerville Stake High Council.

The selfish acts of one man can cause so much pain for so many people. What the hell was he thinking when all the news about Sandusky and Penn State was coming out?

Posted by: Ponti ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 08:09AM

Per the article, "In 2009, Bothell co-authored a magazine article in Meridian, an LDS published magazine on "raising children to feel and recognize the spirit."

Yeah, he's teaching them to feel something all right, and it ain't the spirit. Sick bastard. Is it just me but does he have an uncanny resemblance to Warren Jeffs?

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 08:56AM

Posted by: Not logged in (but ususally Duffy) ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 09:26AM

Yes! That's the first thing I thought when I saw the mug shot.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 10:10AM

It's disengenuous of the SLTrib journalist to call him a "former employee" of the church. The man was a church employee when he was arrested, and then he was *subsequently* fired.

It will be interesting to see if these events happened during the course of his official church duties. It will be hard for the LDS church to spin that.

Date: August 18, 2012 10:51AM

Which makes you wonder if there were incidents before this. Why did this begin just 9 months ago. Do we know if this was with a young child or teenager? I am assuming it was a young child.

Date: August 18, 2012 01:46PM

The girls were 11 and 13. Pretty sick for a grown man to be exposing himself to children so young and having them handle his privates.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 08:16AM

Date: August 18, 2012 08:21AM

Besides the individual harm, what bothers me is these sorts of incidents are characterized only as individual failings by the church. They don't seem to prompt a reevaluation of the church's teachings and attitudes toward sexuality and its history of polygamy. Mormonism, I believe, stunts the development of sexuality in such a way that makes incidents like these more likely rather than less.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2012 08:22AM by robertb.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 08:49AM

It's going to escape somewhere.

Date: August 18, 2012 09:17AM

Yep. And if you are part of a family/church/culture that tries to arrest your sexual development at age 12, guess what? Stupid cult.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 09:32AM

Yep, plus it's a cult that conditions kids to go in a room alone with guys just like him, where they ask chastity questions.

It's a cult that conditioned us all to say 'yes' to every request from guys like him. It's a cult that teaches obedience and compliance at every level, but especially with children.

Posted by: lilygeorge ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 02:59PM

Why do I get the feeling that if this happened only a generation or so back some general authority might suggest that these little girls did something to tempt him and it was all their fault somehow.

Date: August 18, 2012 03:53PM

I think its interesting how the morg pr rep said ex-employee.

Ex -employee after how many parents complained?

He was an employee WHILE he was
"accidentally" exposing himself
repeatedly to young children.

Can someone explain to me how a person
"accidentally" exposes himself 8 times?

Or how he "accidentally" "caused" children to fondle his penis?

I'm so tired of the spin by ld$inc.

I'm guessing that the only reason this pedophile
turned himself in
is because the families involved have threatened to sue cojcolds.

And tscc doesn't want their golden boy, mittler's,
presidential campaign damaged.

Like I said, by their fruits shall Ye know them.....
Keeping it classy: LD$INC.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.