Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rosemary ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 12:53AM

Since all my mom and I can really talk about is my kids and her calling (I actually ask. It's not like she's preaching; I guess I see it as her hobby.), I got to hear about her last weekend's activity.

Get this: the young women got together at my mom's house for two straight days and READ THE ENTIRE BOOK OF MORMON OUT LOUD.

Oh em gee, the boredom. Can you imagine? At that age, too! Ooooh, oooh, and imagine what church was like on Sunday, with all the young women weeping on each others shoulders about how uplifting and spiritual it was!

Just had to share. I would like to now bear you my testimony that I know the gospel is a crock full of wasted life. I want to tell you brothers and sisters how deeply joyful I am to not have to while away my brief life reading unstimulating, uncomforting, morally conflicting drivel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: maria ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 12:56AM

WOW. I wonder how many of those girls contemplated suicide?

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 01:03AM

Tampon art: http://www.tamponcrafts.com/turkey.html

and just because Regretsy is a good time: http://www.regretsy.com/

Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 05:32PM

I need to thank you so much for the Regretsy link. It has made a long day of waiting for files to open or save much more entertaining.

I have also decided that Raptor Jesus and Helen Killer would make the awesomest most entertaining babies ever.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 01:19AM

Well, something has to prepare them to think making angels from toilet paper cores is fun.

Anagrammy

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 01:22AM

that sounds HORRIBLE

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 10:24AM

the really great thing about this activity is that it did not meet LDS inc official standards for decency and morality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ktfQ8b_-rs

Date: August 20, 2012 01:31AM

You guys are too funny!

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 01:51AM

Sounds amazingly boring.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 01:52AM

How long does it take to read the whole BOM? Did they sleep? Did they eat? I'm thinking 20hrs(10 a day) is not long enough.

Date: August 20, 2012 02:01AM

They did sleep and did eat. I imagine that with one person reading aloud they could get meal prep going and everything, although I will have to ask. I have no idea how long it would actually take to read the Book of Mormon. Never could get past 2 Nephi! (Not because I'm not an avid reader. Earned my degree in lit and everything......I've had the willpower to make it through many, many dull books, but none were as bad as the Book of Mormon!)

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 11:30AM

Its been done in 24 hours plenty of times. It depends on how fast you read, of course, but I'd imagine that 20 hours is doable.

Posted by: icedlatte ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 01:58AM

Either your mom is in my little sister's ward, or more than one ward actually chose to do this as an activity! She did a very similar activity a week or so ago.

Well, I guess when the YW are barely given any money for their activities, they have to come up with as many free ones as possible.

Date: August 20, 2012 02:13AM

That sucks. Mormons are generally good peeps and deserve to not scrape the bottom of the barrel funding-wise.

When my mom tells me about having to have a rummage sale to raise funds for camp I almost bite my tongue in half not screaming, "How can they afford a mall but they cannot afford camp for girls who buy their job interview clothes at the f***ing Goodwill!?"

I hate those old men. Hate them.

Posted by: icedlatte ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 10:51AM

In my sister's ward, they make the girls pay their own way for girls camp and barely have any money for anything else throughout the year. They don't even allow them to hold fundraisers.

Meanwhile, the YM in that ward in the past few years have bought kayaks, rock climbing equipment and rented a sailboat for a week.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 03:02AM

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

I'm sure it was a MANDATORY, church-wide YW activity. While one girl is reading, the others could have been dusting, mopping, making beds, folding laundry, washing windows, making the meals, painting the fence, weeding the yard, doing yoga stretches, exercising, swimming, planning a FUN activity, etc. If I were YW leader, I would teach the girls how to multi-task, to keep from being bored and depressed. I would have them take a comedy break every hour.

Even when I was TBM, I never would have held a group of girls captive in my house for two days. My house is for happiness, love, fun, and a peaceful refuge from tyranny. I would have had to fumigate to get rid of all the bad juju.

Don't the Mormons understand that reading the BOM yet another time, and another, and another doesn't do any good? It is the same old BS. No magical new insights. Obviously the cult is hoping to make use of teen-age group hysteria. That only works for Justin Beiber.

Posted by: SoCal Apostate ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 12:24PM

forestpal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A mind is a terrible thing to waste.
>

The official, Priesthood-Corrolated quote is "A mind is a terrible thing to waste on a woman. Now git back inna kitchen and make me a sammich."

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 09:17AM

Um. Really? They don't have that thing as a book on tape or DVD?

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 11:16AM

What's sad is that I can picture a number of those girls, smug as if they had canary feathers on their lips, boasting about what they did. So PROUD to be such a GOOD Mormon. Not like that slacker YW who spent the weekend studying for her AP exam or something. (sarcasm there)

Posted by: justrob ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 11:27AM

I *LOVE* that you ended with your anti-mony.
I like bearing my antimony in the same vernacular as the Mormon testimony. It's so beautifully poetic.

Thanks for making me smile!

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 11:30AM

because people are MUCH more likely to have a witness of the "spirit" when they have low blood sugar.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 11:37AM

Barf!

I suppose if you skip all of the "and it came to pass" or substituted another word, like "cheese" that it would go alot faster.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 12:40PM

When I was a teenager, my mother would have forced me to go and do this activity. It would have been mind numbing and boring for my ADD self. I'm sure I wouldn't have made it through without a lot of yawning, fidgeting, sketching(if they didn't take my pencil away) and anything else I could do to break up the monotony.

This is something the old people should do if they want to. Forcing the young kids to do this is stupid.

The one good thing that may come from it, is the girls won't ever feel a need to read the book again. They already did it. Maybe it will encourage some to leave the church earlier than they would have otherwise.

Posted by: Testosterone Ted ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 07:22PM

They musty have read the Reader's Digest condensed version, you know the one with all the "And it came to pass" taken out.

Posted by: jenn ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 02:37PM

Its best to do all at once. Less chance that someone will ask questions.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 04:50PM

? were they required to STAND while it was their turn to read?

THAT would make it a deal-breaker!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.