Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 10:34AM

This is one of my newest pet peeves- when someone says they're a Christian. What does that mean anyway? I don't think they even know! If I were to ask "which means...?" I think I'd get a blank look.

Once someone finds out I'm an exmo, this phrase usually follows. It's getting sooooo bad that it annoys the hell out of me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2012 10:35AM by heather.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 10:35AM

Simple. It means "I'm better than you."

Posted by: ragingphoenix ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 10:36AM

Take it at it's simplest form.

Christians believe that a guy named Jesus was supernatural.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 10:48AM

You'e making a remark about something you AREN'T anymore, and they're responding about something they ARE.

In some contexts that can be a conversation-stopping non sequitur.

My experience has been that when someone says that, about 50% of the time they are merely marking the conversation or identifying their own convictions. The other 50% of the time, the statement is accompanied by a gleam in the eye and an eagerness in the tone that spells "Danger! Evangelistic Preaching Moment Approaching!" in that instance, I head for the hills.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 11:01AM

xyz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You'e making a remark about something you AREN'T
> anymore, and they're responding about something
> they ARE.
>

Or, they are about to use their Christianity as justification for passing laws that take other people's rights away.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 11:56AM

Posted by: GrtCommission ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 10:23AM

Christianity isn't about rules and regulations to follow. It is about a relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 10:50AM

but that relationship is all in your mind! But that is where all of our reality is... isn't it?

just sayin!

Date: August 22, 2012 11:02AM

Truth conforms to reality.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 10:58AM

"I'm a christian", means they are a member of one of the 34,000 denominations (conservative estimate) which makes up that religion
it means they share a common religion with the WBC phelps family, lots of people who believe he earth is 6,000 years old. most of the US prison population, and any number of genocidal and/or paedophile pastors and priests.
It means they are willing to suspend disbelief in a number of physically impossible acts performed 2000 years ago.

and it probably means that every time they find some lost keys, or their sports team wins, they give thanks to a 2000 yr old zombie

Posted by: Jim Huston ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 11:01AM

say - I'm sorry. You can get better.

I've never had anyone that wanted to discuss it further.

Posted by: yours_truly ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 11:02AM

Many christians claim they're not religious, probably because 'religion' has some negative-sounding stigma to it that classifies them together with non-christians like hindus or muslims.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 11:04AM

And not be bound by what the Christian religious institutions say.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 12:07PM

Christianity is not a "religion", it's the TRUTH.
None of them think they are religious. They are better than everyone else because they know the TRUTH.

Posted by: anoninnv ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 11:06AM

Almost all of the ones of met who specifically use the word "Christian" rather than an actual denomination seem to mean "I'm engaging in Pascal's Wager. I actually know very little about what I believe as far as my religious beliefs are concerned."

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 01:49PM

No, it's more likely to mean they are a member of a church that does not belong to a traditional denominination like Methodist, Lutheran, Presbyterian, Assemblies of God, etc. There are many independent Christian churches from small congregations that meet in homes to mega-churches like Willow Creek and Lakewood (Joel Osteen's church).

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 01:54PM

it's the old "I'm better than you, neener neener neener" argument.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 02:04PM

I guess I've been traveling in the wrong circles - I can't remember the last time a self-advertising Christian invaded my space. (It might actually have been the Moonies - are they xtian?)

But there are these vacant-headed young men from another sect who appear at my door at infrequent intervals wanting to talk about magic books and strange prophets. Sometimes they are invited in; sometimes they are ejected from the premises.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 01:07AM

We rented a basement sweet to a guy who proclaimed his Christianity early on. It pinned my bull$hit meter. I didn't like him from day 1. He turned out to be a lying, cheating, manipulative piece of $hit who stiffed us for 2 months rent and then disappeared. We have plenty more like him around Lethbridge who wear their religious views like a badge, and will act superior to anyone they perceive isn't "saved" by their definition. Not much like the Jesus Christ they claim to worship. I feel about the same way towards them.

Ron Burr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2012 01:08AM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 01:13AM

Whenever someone says that to me, I picture a dog lifting it's leg and marking its territory. Same thing.

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 11:04AM

Perfect!

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 10:34AM

I always respond with the question, "Which kind?" I then point out that there are tens of thousands of Christian churches precisely because no one can agree with what it means to be a Christian, so how should I know what it means when you tell me you are one.

Date: August 22, 2012 10:39AM

I can give my opinion if you would like. :)

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 10:44AM

1. Christian is what TSCC thinks it is.
2. When one uses the term Christian in the context of posting on this board (in a positive light) one is indicating that they believe in Christ without TSCC and its doctrines.
3. I, for one, think it a shame that because of the falseness of TSCC, that when one loses their belief that they also lose their belief in God. That is part of the diabolical nature of mormonism. Some of the converts actually had pre-existing belief in God which, due to their eventual recognition of the falsity of mormonism, is also lost.
4. I think that if posters are limited in giving a testimony of Christ, so to should the reverse. Attacks on Christians (non-LDS) should not be made except to some specific belief of a poster when replying to that specific belief, not a matter of painting people with some broad brush.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 10:48AM

Seriously, how can you complain about christians getting short shrift on RfM when they dominate EVERY OTHER ASPECT of American culture? You gotta have EVERYTHING?

Basically, you're just pitching a hissy fit because you can't get everything you want, the way you want it.

Date: August 22, 2012 10:53AM

I agree with rhgc. Freedom to talk and discuss Mormon related issues without demonizing or attacking one's faith or lack of it is an acceptable mannerism.

Date: August 22, 2012 10:54AM

This is a privately owned message board. Whether you want to believe it or not, the 1st Amendment does NOT apply here.

You follow the rules, or you get zotted. Clear?

Date: August 22, 2012 10:58AM

Roger that helamonster

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 11:06AM

1. Oh how silly of me, throwing a "hissy fit" is it?
2. I have not claimed any "constitutional right". I only stated what I think is fair in the free discussion of opinion. Part of the problem of TSCC is that we, all of us including you, can have no such discourse in the mormon church.
3. BTW, which "Christian" group controls our government? I would submit, no group does. I have been in many groups where Christians, of any sort, are few and far between.

Date: August 22, 2012 11:13AM

1) Yes. Hissy fit. Nothing more, nothing less. Own it, deal with it.

2) How does "fairness" differ from righrts in this case? Again, privately-owned message board, the owners can restrict conversation all they want, in any way they want. If that means only left-handed Chiense atheists can use the board, that's their right, and if you don't like it, then pound sand, DON'T lobby to try to change it, it just makes you look like an ass.

3) Again, you are seriously deluded. Only in small areas of this nation is it even possible for non-believers, or alternative believers like muslims, buddhists and sikhs, to be elected to office. And forget about a President unless he's christian. If that isn't effective control of our government, then what is?

Seriously, all you hypocristians (hypocrite + christian) can do is whinge about how persecuted you are. Cry me a freakin' river...

Posted by: Mordecai ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 11:12AM

helamonster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is a privately owned message board. Whether
> you want to believe it or not, the 1st Amendment
> does NOT apply here.
>
> You follow the rules, or you get zotted. Clear?

So, according to you the rules state that we cannot have a decent discussion about some of the claims made on this board? Does it mean, that I as an ex-mormon who also continues to believe cannot come to this board and make my contribution? The original poster wrote something about christianity and I as a christian cannot respond back because my answer is considered preaching.

Look at some of the post in this thread and tell me why I should not make comments in response to them. I have a right to respond as an ex mormon who also happens to have faith.

There are more roads to recovery from Mormonism than you would think, not every one chooses to become an atheist. There is a place for people such as myself and there is a place for people such as yourself and this board provides an avenue and opportunity for discussion.

Date: August 22, 2012 11:16AM

Of course, YOU would probably reagrd me as one, since my belief would be too "fuzzy and unfocused" to be regarded as belief in an deity that you would recognize.

Second, *I* am not interpreting the rules. Ask Eric or Susan I/S. I'm simply echoing what I see them doing and enforcing. And again, since this is (emphasizing again for the slower witted among us) a *PRIVATELY OWNED MESSAGE BOARD*, you don't have any "rights" here. Period. Neither to I, come to think.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.