Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: September 29, 2010 05:47PM

I was reading at FAIR this article:
http://en.fairmormon.org/Joseph_Smith_and_money_digging

which has this bit in it:

"Joseph and his family viewed folk magic and the use of seer stones as not falling under this (Deut. 18:10) Biblical condemnation."

I wondered, has there ever been a so-called mormon revelation or prophetic utterance condemning occultism?

I can't think of any.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: September 29, 2010 05:57PM

What about the thing with face cards?

Posted by: brett ( )
Date: September 29, 2010 06:07PM

There's not alot said about it. My guess would be that it's due to JS being involved in occult activity (seer stones etc), and that the temple ceremony could easily be described as occult in nature.

I think if the church started openly condeming it, there would be alot of fingers pointing back at them.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: September 29, 2010 07:51PM

Mormon Doctrine and Doctines of Salvation both denounce such things and any type of practice associated with it.
DoS also claims that JS did not use seerstones.

Real Mormon History website has a pretty good rundown on the denounciation of occult pracvtices as well as pictures of seerstones, the Smith family magic parchments, Wilford Woodruffs numerology paper, and a handkechief that was said to have been blessed and consecrated for healing.

Essentially, while occultism was widespread among the early saints it was put down vigorously in the early 1900's and soon disappeared except among those who would be labelled as wicked or weirdos.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: September 29, 2010 08:34PM

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: September 30, 2010 01:25PM

Thanks for the refs JOD. And thanks to the rest for thoughts.

My idea here is obvious: If everyone, including the morgbots, now admit that JS was into the occult, and if TSCC condemns these, then, I have the following questions:

1) how can they justify JS's actions?
2) how come the Lard didn't condemn it and reveal a higher law to JS?
3) why did you deny that JS was involved in it for so long if it's supposedly so prevalent back then?

A couple of excuses I have heard:

1) Don't judge Brother Joe for his occultism and polygamy and bank frauds and.... He lived in an era of simpler times and we shouldn't compare him to our present-day standards
-- But nearly every conference these same brethren tell us that society is growing more and more wicked, heading toward end-of-days cataclysmic burnings. Which is it? They shouldn't be judged by our higher standards, or we're more wicked? Talking out of both sides of the mouth is not an explanation.

2) If Brother Joe and family hadn't been a money digger, his folks may not have been guided to upstate NY where he needed to be to get the plates.
-- I see, so the Lard works in mysterious occult ways. Good thinking.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: September 29, 2010 08:02PM

How about Harry Potter? Or Dungeons and Dragons? I've never heard anyone speak out on this (not that I care -- I think both are pretty cool) ... instead I hear my SP preach against wearing blue shirts on Sunday. Real important stuff, you know?

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: September 29, 2010 08:25PM

The Church has a Prophet (seer and revelator), and patriarchal blessings.

Temple rituals for control in the afterlife.

The Church is steeped in occultism dressed up as sacred religious practices.

They condemn occult practices, but have their own versions of it. To me it’s like say: the difference between them saying they practice white magic verses and others who aren’t of their ilk/religion practice black magic.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 29, 2010 10:28PM

It is satanic and evil. Unless it is Joe Smith doing it, then it is revelation.

Posted by: php ( )
Date: September 30, 2010 02:53PM

The BoM speaks of avoiding secret combinations and secret oaths. This was most likely a reference to the anti-masonry propaganda during Joseph's Smith's time, which was obviously embraced later in history haha (temple ceremony).

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: September 30, 2010 03:34PM

Well if everything other than the church is evil yeah they are against it just like they are against everything thats not mormon.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.