Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nick Humphrey ( )
Date: August 23, 2012 08:18AM

http://funforlesstours.com/tour/cat/20/book-of-mormon-land

The impressive ruins of Teotihuacan

Ruins of Palenque – considered by most to be the best ruins in Central America

Boat ride on the Mayan Nile – considered by many to be the river Sidon

Ruins of Yaxchilan – possible candidate for the area of Zerahemla

Ruins of Tikal – possibly the most impressive ruins in Central America

Ruins of Kaminaijuyu – possible candidate for the city of Nephi

Lake Atitlan – possible candidate for the Waters of Mormon

the video is funny:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=zB7KbOrFZLI

"we're here to answer the question 'are these the lands of the book of mormon?'"

well, are they?

"ruins that date back thousands of years"

evidence that the book of mormon is true.

"lands of the olmec, maya and perhaps the book of mormon"

perhaps or are you just waiting til everybody is on the trip and then you'll pleasantly surprised them with the news that 'yes! these are the lands of the book of mormon!'? i can hardly wait to go on this trip and find out! =)

"mesoamerica and the book of mormon: is this the place?"

that's the title of Dr. Lund's book. well, is it the place? stop keeping me in suspense! =)

"imagine walking the streets of zarahemla or sailing the waters of mormon"

yes, you have to *imagine* that these ancient ruins are from the book of mormon stories.

"we have to have evidences of gold and silver and copper--all mentioned in the book of mormon. we need to find evidences of cartography that's consistent with the internal message of the book of mormon. these are the kinds of things we do on our 'fun for less' tour--identifying those things that represent the lands of the book of mormon."

lots of carefully chosen words here =) yes, this is exactly how science works, by finding evidence that supports your theory =) i wonder if he just forgot to mention that they also need to try to find evidences of things that are NOT consistent with "the internal message of the book of mormon".

i wonder if the tour mentions anything about DNA research concerning Native Americans?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: August 23, 2012 09:00AM

I love how the Utah papers claim he had no idea he was breaking Israeli law. Half an archeologists job involves getting licenses and working with local authorities in order to insure your work is legal. He knew damn well that you can't take precious artifacts, and move them across several countries in your suitcase.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: February 10, 2014 05:24PM

Posted by: Indiana Jones ( )
Date: February 10, 2014 10:53PM

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: February 11, 2014 10:18AM

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: August 23, 2012 08:56AM

How can he give tours around a place that hasn't yet been found?

Oh wait...he keeps antigues that haven't been paid for...so I guess reality isn't a reality isn't a priority for him...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2012 08:58AM by Stumbling.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: August 23, 2012 08:57AM

There's a rabbit hole on my property. Maybe I can charge people to see possible locations for Alices Wonderland...

Posted by: yours_truly ( )
Date: August 23, 2012 08:59AM

Any symbols from the israelites' Exodus found? Any remnants of synagogues?

Date: August 23, 2012 08:59AM

I think they've found Jerusalem recently...

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: August 23, 2012 09:01AM

Well, at least the prison, where he stayed for stealing ancient artifacts.

Date: August 23, 2012 09:02AM

He was only following Nephi's example...

Posted by: yours_truly ( )
Date: August 23, 2012 09:17AM

So there should be at least something to remind them of their inheritance, as religious people of Israel origin. As opposed to all those goddamn darkskinnned people.

Posted by: Anon2 ( )
Date: February 11, 2014 12:36AM

yours_truly, Whoa! Lighten up, man. Seriously.

Date: February 11, 2014 12:30AM

The Exodus has been dated to have occurred approximately 1446 BCE. http://biblehub.com/timeline/exodus/1.htm

The oldest known synagogs date to about 4th or 3rd century BCE. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldest_synagogues_in_the_world

So, yes it would be a complete waste of time searching for remnants of non-existent Jewish structures. If you're thinking of the Moses/Joshua era tabernacle, it was designed to be disassembled and reassembled to keep up with their forty year sojourn. So even if there really was such a mobile structure, it's highly unlikely anything would be left of it.

But setting religious cosmology aside, unlike the Book of Mormon, the Bible at least cites dozens of villages, cities, populations and countries that can actually be identified in modern times. Whereas the Bible is based upon actual ancient folklore spanning centuries, the Book of Mormon is fiction created by 19th century hicks with very poor editing skills aimed at selling books for profit. (I won't go into an argument here that the Bible was brought into being as a means of social control. Just pointing out the Bible is at least semi-historical.)

Posted by: Nick Humphrey ( )
Date: August 24, 2012 02:57AM

Posted by: The other Sofia ( )
Date: February 10, 2014 04:21PM

I looked this up because a nice, retired couple of TBM are leaving for Lund's tour to Central and South America this week. This fraud really makes me mad. These people don't have money to throw away on a scam. He has to know he is lying to these people and ripping off what little retirement money they have.

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: February 10, 2014 04:41PM

Yea....my in laws have now done 2 of his tours, and are soon to do third.... It's ridiculous. We even sent them the stuff on his 'issues' over in Jerusalem and they just turned a blind eye. Mormons see what they want and nothing else. Plus, I'm pretty sure they just like being surrounded by a bunch of other Mormons on their vacays- it's 'safe' that way...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2014 04:42PM by dogeatdog.

Posted by: The other Sofia ( )
Date: February 10, 2014 04:46PM

Yeah, I know it would do no good to tell these particular friends about his issues, both the ones in Israel and his slippery facts. They don't want to be confused by facts. There are some people who just do not want to be dis-illusioned. You can only be there for people who are open to learning. That's why conmen like Lund who take advantage of people piss me off. He does know better

Posted by: nevermo1 ( )
Date: February 10, 2014 05:29PM

Stumbling,lol!

Date: February 10, 2014 05:32PM

...during their off-seasons. They could have Bigfoot Search tours in the Pacific Northwest, UFO tours in Roswell, Loch Ness tours in Scotland, etc. If you're gonna make money taking people to search for things that don't exist, you might as well diversify and maximize your profits.

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: February 10, 2014 09:20PM

Rod Meldrum is busy doing BofM "evidence tours" in the US:

http://www.legacytoursandtravel.com/9289457_69741.htm

Here's a combination one that (embarrassingly) features Zelph's Mound and quotes from JS about the Midwest being "the plains of the Nephites." BofM city Zarahemla is supposedly not far from Nauvoo and Montrose:

http://www.legacytoursandtravel.com/8910122_69741.htm

For even more fun, hop on over to Bountiful Travel, where they offer Western Carribean Cruises that explore the BofM land Bountiful:
http://bountifultravel.com/book-of-mormon-tours/

So how, exactly, do TBMs reconcile that Lund is doing BofM tours in South America, Hadlock is doing them in the Western Carribean, and Meldrum is doing them in the Midwestern US (besides the fact that the BofM is fantasy anyway)?

Date: February 10, 2014 09:48PM

There was lots of discussion here about Meldrum etc. a few years ago. You might find it interesting:

http://www.exmormon.org/mormon/mormon534.htm

Date: February 11, 2014 12:47AM

He could also add Lord of the Rings historical tours when interest in all things Moron-I slow down. In France there is a region of Rohan. Rohan (Breton: Roc’han) is a commune in the Morbihan department in Brittany in north-western France. It is the home to the House of Rohan, members of which included viscounts, dukes and princes and has had a prominent role in French history. The commune's coat of arms is identical to that of the family. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohan,_Morbihan

So, this proves the Lord of the Rings to be a true book.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: February 11, 2014 02:05PM

Hmmm good question! I really do wonder if any of them even realize...

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: February 10, 2014 09:37PM

LOL

Mormons may not find the truth very useful, as stated so eloquently by BKP, but they certainly find the words "possible" and "perhaps" to be very useful indeed.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 10, 2014 10:51PM

exquisite; an RfM Classic!

Posted by: noncompete ( )
Date: February 10, 2014 10:36PM

Does anybody know if this guy taught at the USU LDS Institute back in the 80's? Just curious, there was a "Brother" Lund that taught there when I was in school. A great teacher. One day I went over to the house of a friend of a girl I was dating, it was about 9:00 am and Brother Lund was there (not his house) seeing the friend's divorced mother who had been in one of his wards and was going through some hard times. Not sure anything was up, ;), at the time I was pretty naive, but it sure seemed fishy. Of course, Brother Lund wouldn't do anything innappropriate. I've often wondered about that situation and as I've grown more skeptical, I've assumed the worse. That next year, Brother Lund wasn't teaching at the USU LDS Institute.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 11, 2014 12:50AM

same Lund that was a teach @ Seattle Institute?

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: February 11, 2014 10:30AM

With God all things are "possible"!

Posted by: Mahonri1 ( )
Date: February 11, 2014 11:18AM

Bet he doesn't read Doctrine and Covenants and the 'borders of the land of the lamanites' stuff God personally revealed to Joseph Smith.

Or doesn't pay attention to Joseph Smith saying during Zions Camp - at one location - that it was the site of the City of Manti, the Southern most city of the Nephite Civilization.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.