Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JF ( )
Date: December 22, 2010 10:42AM

Been disfellowshipped for 2 years, prior to that probation for 2 years - starting when I filed for divorce. Haven't taken the sacrament for 4 years. Active in the church with my 12 children.

I finally decided what the hell. I have no worthiness issues. So I took the sacrament.

I'm gonna get a call from my bishop, aren't I???

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: December 22, 2010 10:51AM

Why do you attend a church that treats you like a leper?

A bishop only has the power you give him. He has no magical powers of discernment. He has no authority to act for god. He has no greater understanding of right and wrong than you do. He is not qualified to counsel people about the difficult issues of life.

He is a lower-level manager for a multi-billion dollar corporation that makes its money off people like you. Nothing more. He job is to keep you in line so that you will continue to pay his corporation.

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: December 22, 2010 10:53AM

The bishop may call you if he's a power hungry moron. I have to agree with caedmon, the only powers Bishop's have are the ones we give them.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 22, 2010 11:02AM

And I took the sacrament. Why?

Answer: Why not?

It didn't hurt anyone and I wanted to pass as a TBM without disrupting the service for anyone.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: December 22, 2010 11:14AM

First off, it is between you and God.

Secondly, Bishops only know what they see or hear from members.
Unless he knows you personally, if he wants to know if you are supposed to be taking the sacrament, he'll ask his clerk to look it up.

And having been in the Bishopric and a EQPrez, I can tell you that revelation comes through reports in Ward Council and PEC meetings. Also by way of busybody tattle-tales.

Unless you tell the bishop, he will never know. However, to keep up the charade, if you surprise him with a confession he will say that he has noticed something was bothering you.

Date: December 22, 2010 11:23AM

He was looking right at me when I took the sacrament. He's a new bishop, and doesn't know me, so it may not have registered. But when he puts the pieces together, he will call me in, because the letter from the SP specifically says I should not take the sacrament.

Date: December 22, 2010 11:38AM

Or you could just say that you made your peace with Heavenly Father and felt impressed of the spirit to take sacrament and remember Jesus.

Posted by: piper ( )
Date: December 22, 2010 11:54AM

You beat me to it, Cheryl!

How horrible that you have to worry about the "Sacrament Police" and cannot even focus on worshipping in this
so-called "Christian" church. I have a hard time believing that Christ would have treated you that way. He forgave all kinds of people and a church professing to be (trying to be) "Christ-like" should practice what it preaches. This is far from the only inconsistency in this so-called church.

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: December 22, 2010 11:57AM

Not like they can stop you even if he does call you up!

Posted by: lv skeptic ( )
Date: December 22, 2010 12:20PM

If he is a new bishop, as you say, then he may not even know about the situation. Especially as you indicate in a later post that it was the SP that disfellowshipped you.

Many years ago, I was on probation with the bishop. After 6 months, I went to the bishop and TOLD him that it was time to take me off of probation. He gave me a funny look, and told me that he had totally forgotten about it, and then told me that he agreed that it was time.

In your case, if the SP was the one to disfellowship you, you need to go to the SP to get it released....two years is generally more than enough time.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 22, 2010 12:25PM

Date: December 22, 2010 12:46PM

If he sets up an appt, and I don't go, then I set myself up for further disciplinary action. I've been through this before. I had refused appointments with my previous bishop, and the SP called me and threatened me with excommunication if I didn't meet with my bishop.

Two years is not enough time for this SP regarding me. I have asked for the council to reconvene so I can baptize my son, and was told that my motive was wrong. Apparently that's not a pure enough motive to get back into full fellowship.

Posted by: Elle Bee ( )
Date: December 22, 2010 01:06PM

I don't know you or your story yet, but why do you *want* to get back into full fellowship after the way you've been treated? Do you believe the LDS Church is true?

Posted by: worldwatcher ( )
Date: December 22, 2010 01:14PM

I am so glad to be "ex" mormon....the thought of some MAN putting himself between my wish to "Take this in remembrance" and my allowing it to happen just to keep my family is so repugnant it makes me physically ill. There are many Christian churches who have open communion and there is no one judging the "worthiness" to partake of same...it's up to the conscience of the believer.

When one allows this kind of control over himself, it flies against everything that was said by Jesus...consider the fact that even HE would not be allowed to take the bread, not having been confirmed a member of the Corporation.

Date: December 22, 2010 01:18PM

I find nothing of value for me in attending church. But the youth programs are excellent, and I like the interaction and values that are taught to my children. In a practical sense, the church is a well-run organization which provides a good environment for children. That's why I stay, and that's why I put up with the bullshit from the SP.

Posted by: geneticerror ( )
Date: December 22, 2010 01:25PM

Are you serious? The church provides a good environment for children? Keep reading.

Date: December 22, 2010 01:36PM

The programs are awful. The teachers don't have background checks or proper training. The lessons are worthless at best and psychologically destructive at worst. They undermine self esteem and don't take seriously the developmental needs of children. Mormon churches do not invest in teaching tools or handson equipment or supplies that children need and enjoy. The poor kiddies are forced to sit in little chairs with their hands folded and listen to poorly written and badly prsented lessons that make kids feel unworthy and unloved by God.

The best reason in the world to get out of mormonism is for the sake of your vulnerable children. They're too little to fend for themselves. That's a parent's job.

Posted by: jayen ( )
Date: December 22, 2010 03:06PM

This is one of the best synopsis's of why we should get our children out of Mormonism that I have seen. Thank you Cheryl.

Posted by: readthissomewhere ( )
Date: December 22, 2010 04:08PM

There are lots, and lots, and lots, of other churches out there that have outstanding programs for kids without all the hooey.

Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: December 22, 2010 07:14PM

...the Lutherans, the Methodists, or any other mainstream denomination. Take your pick. Consider that the Mormon church sends approximately 95% of donated tithing money off to the sinkhole that is the COB. Most other churches probably keep about 80% for local use. That funds an awful lot in the way of youth programs. Other churches will in many (or most) cases also be happy to show you their budget -- something that the Mormon church will not do.

I woudn't want to keep my kids in a church that denies me the sacrament, especially for so long. I don't think it would be setting a good example to them of Jesus's love and forgiveness.

Send your kids to SM with your wife. As for you, go investigate other churches. Set a goal that you will attend the services of at least six other local denominations/congregations. Consider it an educational exercise. You don't know what's out there until you go and see. Talk to the church members and the ministers about their youth programs. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Posted by: Lillium ( )
Date: December 22, 2010 01:45PM

Can you tell me what probation and disfellowship involve? This is the first I've ever heard of probation.

I had heard of disfellowshipping before and it sounded like ostracization to me, but I've had several TBMs insist TSCC doesn't ever ostracize people.

There was a guy when I was a kid who the congregation was told not to socialize with, but I wasn't sure if he was disfellowshipped or what.

Posted by: anon for now ( )
Date: December 22, 2010 02:33PM

if you're running a church and you want to have a show of power. you only excommunicate those who want to be members.

Date: December 22, 2010 02:52PM

Disfellowshipment is exactly the opposite of what the SP says it is. The standard line is: "This is not punishment. We are giving you an opportunity to draw closer to Christ."

Draw closer to Christ? Are you kidding me? As a member, we are told to draw closer to Christ by taking the sacrament, serving in a calling, attending the temple, and participating in lessons. All of those are withdrawn when you are disfellowshipped.

Disfellowshipment is nothing more than a way for the church to distance itself from the member. It's all about "preserving the good name of the church", and nothing about helping the member.

Posted by: Elle Bee ( )
Date: December 22, 2010 02:59PM

I guess I'm still struggling to understand, and again I don't mean to be disrespectful, but if you only go to church for your kids and find nothing of value in attending, why take the sacrament? Are you a Christian who just doesn't believe in the Mormon church but wants to use the sacrament to draw closer to Christ? If so, that might make sense. BTW I'm not your bishop, and you can tell me to bug off if I'm being nosy. Most of my process is figuring out where others are coming from, but I realize that can be annoying.

Also, I agree that the LDS church is a lot more concerned with itself than its people. That's very sad. What is the real harm in allowing somebody to partake of bread and water in remembrance of Christ? That's about power and control and punishment, not "an opportunity to draw closer to Christ." Sigh.

Date: December 22, 2010 03:06PM

Same reason why I go to staff meetings at work that I get nothing out of.

Posted by: AlexisAnne ( )
Date: December 22, 2010 03:09PM

My immediater family is Catholic. Dad is exmo. Granparents try to force us all to be mo's.

My twin brother is kind of a dumbass and once took the sacrament not realizing it was against both our religion and grandparents' religion to take lDS communion. He took it while everyone stared at him, waiting for him to be struck by lightning. He swallowed the stuff, then announced in a whisper, "It just tastes like Wonder Bread to me."

It was one of the few times in his life my brother has ever gotten anything right. It is just plain old white bread.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: December 22, 2010 03:30PM

How often do you think those clueless teen-aged "priests" wash their hands? And how recently have those fingers been in their noses?

That's enough to end the sacrament service.

Posted by: ken ( )
Date: December 22, 2010 04:20PM

Oh MY Adult of God, you are so right. As a bishop I bought a ton of hand sanitizing wipes for the creepy PH holders to use before handling the bread and water. It was worse than bathing a cat, to get them to remember to use them. Sick!

Back on topic. Start learning why you'd be better off leaving the church (at least mentally)and being honest and authentic with yourself is a really good example to set for your kids.

Date: December 22, 2010 04:28PM

Ken, if the church was pure evil then your point holds. Do you quit your job if your boss is an asshole just to prove to yourself that you are "authentic"? Give me a break.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: December 22, 2010 06:26PM

No, you quit your job because the boss is an a$$hole, and the company is crooked, cooks its books, suppresses the poor economically for the gain of a few, suppresses the rights of young, minority and female workers, promotes products that are harmful to individuals and society, and whose business plan is founded on fear-mongering and deception, and continually conspires to cover up its collective crimes by any means possible.

Etc..

Posted by: luminouswatcher ( )
Date: December 22, 2010 06:56PM

Yes, you absolutely change jobs in that case. Do you have no respect for yourself, or your capabilities? Life is too short, and too long, to put up with such behaviors.

I get the impression you thought this place was only full of people who really believe in the church but were here because they wanted to sin, were too weak, or were offended. That it was just some place to bitch about the injustices of the system. If so, wrong impression. The church is a crock of excrement, and has no validity or relevance in any way, shape or form.

In my estimation mormonism is pure evil. Even within the Christian construct of the devil, the embodiment of all that is evil, it is possible for him to do good when is suits him. Since mormonism was founded on fraud and deception, and has continued to represent a false world view, that fully messes up decisions good people try to make, because they don't have a realistic basis to form rational judgments, it can never bring people to a truly good state.

If Jesus really does exist, what would his church look like? If the devil really did exist, what would his counterfeit church look like? For an answer I will leave you with a quote:

"The worst sinners, according to Jesus, are not the harlots and publicans, but the religious leaders with their insistence on proper dress and grooming, their careful observance of all the rules, their precious concern for status symbols, their strict legality, their pious patriotism... the haircut becomes the test of virtue in a world where Satan deceives and rules by appearances.”
-Hugh Nibley (mormon apologetic scholar)

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: December 22, 2010 07:05PM

Posted by: zoltan ( )
Date: December 23, 2010 02:40AM

It's got nothing to do with any one else if you take the sacrament.
What are they going to do?
Wrestle it out of your mouth, roll around on the ground with you, make a public spectacle.

Come on, come on, grow some balls and do your own thing.
They only control you as much as you let them.
Don't let them...after all isn't that why Jesus was born...not to let them.
And they certainly haven't the power to execute you like they did with him, nevertheless remember he was a rebel through and through.
Be one yourself, and maybe, just maybe the grip of control will lessen in the Mormon church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.