Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: September 05, 2012 10:40PM

My son is playing soccer and has some mormon kids on his team, who he is good friends with. He said 2 of them, that he hopes they stay for the whole practice. I asked why they aren't.

He said that they stay for ~30min then leave for "other" activities...church related..

Really??? You put your kid on a soccer team but them they also HAVE to go to church activities in the middle of the fvckin' week?? this after 3hrs of church on Sun and FHE.

Just venting..Thx

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: September 05, 2012 10:55PM

In a high school team that would not be allowed. Those kids shouldn't get to have it both ways. I am willing to bet that if there is ever a game on Sunday those kids won't be there.

Those kids should get a certain number of absences per season. Then when they exceed those they get to sit out of the next game. An absence is any practice that isn't completely attended.

Posted by: notsurewhattothink ( )
Date: September 05, 2012 10:57PM

I remember not attending Sunday games in High School, and at the time it was worth it "for the Lord" but now I am slightly mad about it. My parents always reassured me that it was "the right thing to do, the Lord is happy."

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: September 06, 2012 07:15AM

This is rec league soccer so there will be no Sun games.

What getsa me is just how much of the child rearing mormon parents abdicate to the church with this kind of stuff.

I know of no other religion where it is felt that you HAVE to be there every Sun to hear what was said..

With all that, Sun church, mormon Boy Scouts, FHE...you put your kid on a rec league soccer team but then they HAVE to be at the church activities in the middle of the week too??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2012 07:15AM by nonmo.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: September 06, 2012 08:43AM

Pointless. Those kids won't ever get to be very good at soccer, so why is mom even bothering to take them? Sounds like she's just trying to run them ragged because a tired dog is a good dog. Yes, I know kids aren't dogs, but sometimes the "parenting" philosophies overlap a little.

Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: September 06, 2012 08:51AM

My 12yo daughter is a level 8 gymnast. She is supposed to be at the gym every day straight from school until 7:30. But on Wednesdays she has to leave an hour early for YW. Now that might not seem like a big deal, but in gymnasts every minute counts. So she leaves the gym to go learn how to iron and bake cookies?

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: September 06, 2012 02:30PM

This herer and also seminary...2 examples where the church is filling in where P A R E N T S should be doing this...

For all familes not just yours...Don't push off the family domestic stuff to the church...pass this along to your kids.

Also religious education..If EVERY Sunday isn't enough..then PARENTS...educate your kids....don't push this off on the church where as your kids have to go in early on Weds or whatever.

For christs sakes mormons...be P A R E N T S to your kids.

Quit pushing this off on the church.
It's YOUR job... not theirs

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.