Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: September 07, 2012 03:46PM

Thanks everyone for helping to make the temple name list happen. After two months were at 397 submissions, which is a good chunk of my initial goal of 1000. Also, as of today the Oracle now goes all the way back to 1964, so check it out! For a long time the '74-'83 names were baffling me, but once I realized they might have gone by day of the week instead of day of the month, the alignment became statistically significant. Also, check out the year links at the bottom of the page.

www.fullerconsideration.com/templenameoracle.php

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anon today ( )
Date: September 07, 2012 04:30PM

Posted by: Samantha Baker ( )
Date: September 07, 2012 04:49PM

Date: September 07, 2012 04:59PM

Most likely because it's used as the substitute name when a woman's first name happens to be the same as the temple name of the day. They would have realized there's a problem when your name is Eve and you happen to go to the temple on Eve day.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: September 07, 2012 04:58PM

I know my name: Gideon

I just don't remember the day or date I went through...maybe a Saturday, winter of 79-80, but that's all I can come up with.

Sorry!

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: September 07, 2012 05:02PM

I guess I'm not as special I thought I was. I had heard of using the same name for a day but didn't know they were on a monthly rotation. I remember my name and I know I went toward the end of the month, so I thought it would have been 20 something, and puff there was my name. I know I have a copy of my membership somewhere I have to go check the exact day.

Thanks for collecting this, the more we know the better.

D

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: September 07, 2012 05:09PM

My hubby found his date in his journal and put it on the site but it didn't match a previous submission.

Date: September 07, 2012 05:18PM

Which name was it? There are little discrepancies and errors throughout the lists, so with the confidence of a journal entry I can be sure that his name is given presidence. If you want to tell me privately, my e-mail is kimballthenom@yahoo.com

Date: September 07, 2012 05:20PM

Silas, his date was late October 1987. I'm not at home so I can't check for sure. Mine lined up perfectly, Jan 10th, Eliza.

Date: September 07, 2012 05:30PM

Ah yes, October 25th. That one's a problem because we have two submissions for Mosiah for that day of the month, and one of those was in the same temple as your husband only 7 months later. If your husband can say for sure that it was the 25th, then Seattle must have been doing something funky there.

Date: September 07, 2012 05:46PM

Yes, he wrote in his journal on Oct 26th that he went the day before. Short of seeing his member record, I'd say it's accurate. I was at BYU at the time. I waited for him on his mission. I didn't put which temple mine was, for some reason, but it was Seattle as well.

Posted by: Confusedmormonite ( )
Date: September 07, 2012 06:00PM

I just sent you a question about wife's name but wanted to remain anonymous. Check your email.

Thanks for the lists. It is quite interesting.

Posted by: exmollymo ( )
Date: September 07, 2012 06:10PM

So I noticed Lazarus has been submitted several times for different dates. Why the discrepancy?

I ask because I looked on my TBM husband's ordinance summary sheet and he was endowed on the 26th, so I would presume his new name is Lazarus. Obviously I won't ask him.

I should scream his new name out next time we have sex. :)

Posted by: anonforthis ( )
Date: September 07, 2012 07:31PM

Wow...so I just checked the list, and sure enough, there was Huldah and Lazarus on the 26th of the month. Those were our names on 6/26/01 in the Washington, D.C. temple!

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: September 07, 2012 08:31PM

I found my Individual Ordinance Summary paper from before I resigned, so now I have the date. 25 May 2001.

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 01:39AM

Wouldn't it be fun and annoying to stand outside the temple and yell out the day's names for the people going in?

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 01:46AM

At first I thought mine was wrong. I got married in the DC temple on November 3, 1979, which date has Augusta listed as the temple name. My temple name is Agnes.

However, now that I think back, I'm pretty sure we went through for our endowments the day before. So on that day, the name was Deborah, which is my given name. Shouldn't I then be Eve?

Hmmm...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2012 01:51AM by DebbiePA.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 03:53AM

I've posted an announcement on my FB=page what today's names will be. Saturday is always a busy day at our McTemple so I'm guessing there will at least be some new endowments done today.

Posted by: icedlatte ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 11:50AM

Anybody ever hear of a male temple name from 1981/82 that is just really weird? My mom told me once that apparently my dad's name is really strange, he has no idea how to spell it and he's had to go to the temple office several times to look it up. Its been driving me crazy for years trying to guess what it is!

Posted by: Friendly_Visitor ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 12:54PM

I have provided bogus contact information, but wanted to add something I think you are missing.

I am still somewhat active, and I was married and sealed twice. ( My first marraige ended in divorce).

Your data is correct! However, when I was sealed the SECOND time, my wifes name was not based upon the day of our sealing (like normal), but the females name of when I got my new name when I took out my garments.

Most of your data is reported as when the man and woman get sealed initially. What about when the man gets sealed twice? Then the data changes!

Let me know if I have to explain more - I can email you if needed.

Date: September 08, 2012 08:22PM

It's not about when the couple is sealed, the new name is given when each individual takes out their endowment. The bride gives the new name to the groom in a short veil ceremony right before the marriage sealing. I gave my name to my hubby, but received the name 16 days earlier.

Posted by: canuck guy ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 07:10PM

I have added my info, too. And your data is correct for my name.

Posted by: jessica ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 08:15PM

Bumping up, adding mine and dh's info, but you've already got both correct.

Date: September 09, 2012 12:21PM

Thanks for all the new submissions! I've gotten a lot of new names for the '74 to '83 range, but unfortunately most of them don't line up with the day of the week system. I'm going to have to take some time to pore over the data and perhaps revise the lists. I'm pretty confident in the names before and after that range, but in-between it's pretty confusing. And thanks to twojedis the confusion may persist as late as 1987.

However, the confidence in the current list is very high.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 12:31PM

There are two Elizas stated on the date of my temple endowment: 1/10/86. They are both me. I forgot to include the SL Temple on my original submission and so I resubmitted. I didn't know the name would be uploaded twice.

Date: September 09, 2012 12:34PM

I deleted the old one. Thanks for pointing that out. Eliza for the 10th had already been confirmed by you and one other person, so I didn't bother to check if your second one was a duplicate.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 12:43PM

Thanks!

Date: September 14, 2012 01:02AM

Update on my hubby. I was looking for something else in our files and ran across our ordinance sheets for the entire family. His date was actually October 24th, not the 25th. He must have dated his journal wrong.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: September 14, 2012 11:34AM

Sometimes ordinance dates are entered incorrectly, especially back in the day when they were all done by pen and ink, like in my example below.

My baptism and confirmation dates were both on my eighth birthday. I remember it extremely clearly due to the circumstances. My ordinance sheet has my baptism date as six months later and my confirmation date a WEEK later. For years I tried to get it corrected (so did my parents before they were exed), I even had a baptismal certificate signed by my baptiser (Dad) and witnesses. But no dice. The original, incorrect record stands.

Date: September 14, 2012 05:33PM

Well Silas makes a lot more sense on the 24th. I couldn't find any way to reconcile it with the 25th, so I've already updated the submission and the list on the Oracle. Hopefully the ordinance sheet it right. If not I'd have to go back to the drawing board.

Date: September 14, 2012 05:46PM

Cool, we'll go with that. Let's chalk it up to him being upset that I was off at BYU with all the RM's while he was getting ready for his mission. ;o)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.