Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 12:02AM

The answer to that question is one of the stupidest, most nonsensical things the church says.

According to the Church Handbook, when one spouse leaves the church, by resignation or excommunication, all that member's blessing and sealings are cancelled. However, the sealing of the "innocent" spouse is not cancelled.

So apparently when Jack is out of the church, he is no longer sealed to his wife Jill. But Jill is still sealed to Jack.

Only a Mormon could wrap his mind around that!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 12:54AM

Can the sealing only go one way?

Date: September 10, 2012 12:54AM

And what if the spouse never actually leaves the church, just becomes inactive?

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 01:05AM

I ran into this problem.

Even though I was remarried to an endowed TBM I was denied the ability to break a sealing that had ocured 40 years ago. and be sealed to my husband of 20 years.

I had been sealed to a guy that I married when I was 18. I divorced him when I was 20 ( he's been inactive for 40 years). We had no children. Apparently the church thought it was better for me to be sealed to that lying, cheating, thieving loser than my current devoted spouse of 20 years.

I was mad as hell. It all worked out to be the best thing for me and my family though. Me, DH, and my children have all resigned from the insanity known as mormonism. We are all doing our best to bring as many people out of the church as we can.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2012 01:06AM by Mia.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 01:34AM

The same thing happened to me, Mia. My temple ex beat me, and almost killed me, and I divorced him after 14 months of hell. A few years later, my old boyfriend at BYU and I wanted to get married in the temple, but we could not, because the battering thug was mad at me, and would not return the church's letter. The church needed HIS opinion of whether I had been "worthy," meaning if I had not cheated, had worn my garments, had attended meetings, etc. I tried for almost 30 years to get my cancellation of sealing, and the various bishops and stake presidents would say, "sure," but then get back with me later and say, "No."

Moreover, the church leaders told me that I even though we were divorced, that I was still sealed to the wife-beater. Huh? I was the one who wanted nothing to do with the thug, yet the church was doing me a favor by honoring my sealing. I asked, "Why in a zillion eternities would I ever want to be sealed to this monster?" The answer was, that my children, by my second husband several years later, were also be sealed to the wife-beater, and therefore--here's the blessing in all this--halleluja--my children were sealed to me for all eternity! (Just not to their father.) The stake presidency told me this, and they were all beaming with holy love.

"Sister Forestpal, you and your children are a "Forever Family!" What's a few batterings here and there for eternity, and rapings and pregnancies for eternity, and being a polygamous wife of a repulsive creep, if you can see your children?

I don't know why I was so stupid to keep trying to go back to that cult--it was over for me in that first sealing.

A woman can get married in the temple only once, so if her husband "falls away", it is tough luck. A man, like my ex, can get married in the temple as many times as he wants. He needs to get a civil divorce from one wife, before marrying another, but there is no temple divorce. My ex has accumulated three temple wives in this manner, although I'm sure his other divorces were due to extreme physical cruelty as well. Dallin Oaks, Howard Hunter, Russel Nelson, are among the GA's who have more than one temple wife, because their first wives died.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 01:42AM

Rainwriter, don't worry. Mormons will not let you go, unless you write a formal letter of resignation, and declare yourself free of the cult. They will keep you on their records until you are 104 years old. In fact, if you resign, they will baptize you back in after you die.

Since the Mormons teach a lot of anti-Christian doctrine (such as, when they say that unconditional love in Anti-Christ, and that Christ's Atonement alone will not save us), blaspheme against God (for example,saying that men will become Gods, too, and that polygamy is the way to salvation) and they worship false prophets, I would think your husband would be the one who would have to do a lot of difficult repenting after death.

Please don't worry. Just live you life as a good, happy human being. My close relative was in the First Presidency, and he told us that no one had ever died and gone to heaven, and returned to tell us the details. He said that we JUST DON'T KNOW. Mormonism is too focused on the hereafter, and he uses people's fear of Judgment Day to extort money (tithing) out of them.

Date: September 10, 2012 01:16AM

I'm asking because this is a worry of muy husband, if we'll still be sealed if I don't believe in the church. We will, yes, according to the church? It's just that I'd have to do a lot of difficult repenting after death first?

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 01:55AM

it doesn't really matter since Mormonism is totaly false.

Date: September 10, 2012 10:51AM

But not to my husband, so it'd be nice to tell him what the church says.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 01:56AM

If I'm (and you're as well) wrong about the church not being true, I don't believe God is such an angry God that he would separate families. If he's there, he wants us to be happy. As long as we try our best to play nice with others, we will be ok. That's what I think. As far as the church thinks, if you don't remove your name from the records, your sealing is intact.

I know how he feels, when I was staying and DH was leaving, this was a concern of mine that kept me up nights.

Posted by: feelinglight ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 10:57AM

I agree w/twojedis...My God is not an angry God. He loves us and wants happiness for us...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.