Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 12:41AM

It didn't suck.

I sat with a friend I hadn't seen in a decade and we just giggled through the entire thing.

The people that I spoke with seemed geninely happy to see me. I wore jeans, sneakers (nice ones) and a casual shirt. I wore earrings as per usual. I didn't bother shaving (my god, on a sunday, I'm usually reading this board at 9 a.m. and still in my jamjams).

The body of jesus was whole wheat and it didn't smell all that fresh when it passed under my nose, but the funeral dirge didn't depress me this time.

I could barely hear the first speaker over the cacophony. Kids crying, fussing, being "shushed" etc. Fine by me.

The second speaker was dry, but what else was I expecting?

At one point I leaned to my friend and said "as God as my witness, I've heard this speech before and I mean verbatim, word for word." She replied "he's quoting scripture!" LMAO!

Two people came up to me immediately after the so-called "sacrament meeting" and asked if I was staying for the rest of the meetings. I looked both in the eye and said (and I quote) "oh, hell no! I didn't do all three hours when I was a mormon!". Right there in the chapel, just a cussin up a storm. I dropped "god", "damn", "hell" & "sh!t" bombs. I have a filthy mouth on a good day. I decided I'm not going to change anything now. If they don't like me, they are free to talk to somebody else.

Here was a fun note: I saw an old friend there and somehow we started talking about mormonism. Within a couple of seconds we realized that we were both exmos! We had a fun chat. She said she has come to this board and others as well. It was really fun to connect on a new level.

There were a lot of people that I have no need for. A couple that made my skin crawl off. No biggie though.

After the meeting was over I sprinted to get a coffee.

The luncheon was where I was bored to death. Tons of people I have nothing in common with making small talk - and me without a xanax. I put up with it for 3 hours and then went out for a bootie call. I came back to help clean up a couple of hours later.

You know, if a typical sunday was like it was today, I might not have hated it as much as I used to. No headache today!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2012 12:44AM by Levi.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gus2144 ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 12:45AM

Did they do like a sprint towards you, or did you hang around?

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 12:49AM

A lot of them made a bee-line towards me when they saw me. I felt like they were genuinely happy to see me - and I was genuinely happy to see a bunch of them too.

This was the ward that I grew up in, so there is history. On the other hand, this is the ward I grew up in, so there is history.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 12:46AM

How ironic is it to coincidentally meet up with an old LDS ex-mormon friend at church???

Posted by: gus2144 ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 09:51AM

I just don't like that they asked you if you were gonna stay. How long did they take to ask the question? But in their brainwashed mind, to live in the church is the only way to live.

Posted by: azexmo ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 12:47AM

"At one point I leaned to my friend and said "as God as my witness, I've heard this speech before and I mean verbatim, word for word." She replied "he's quoting scripture!" LMAO!"

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

Posted by: turnonthelights ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 04:27AM

Why did you go? Don't even give them the time of day or they will end up at your door once a week thinking there is still a chance :)

Posted by: BI ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 04:52AM

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,631096

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you enjoyed yourself.

Posted by: sistertwister ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 10:10AM

I really enjoyed your play-by-play description of returning to church yesterday. Love it!

If I had to go back to Church and sit through one meeting (and that's all I could stomach) I would need aides.

Hearing Aides or earplugs to block out the mind-numbing, stuffy, wordy, slow, obtuse, dim, dumb, muffled, dense, softened, verbose, muted, long-winded, weary, dreary, weariful, ho-hum, thudding, deadening, irksome, leaden, windy, sluggish talks.

Yea, this could work!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2012 10:11AM by sistertwister.

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 10:21AM

Well I'm glad you had a good time. Church is boring or insulting, I'll grant you that.

I don't think I would have sworn in the church. Just me.

Posted by: sistertwister ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 10:35AM

TBM alert!

Outside of church people do use cuss words and even inside the church they use them.

So, you would say it's not proper etiquette to swear in a Ward/Stake building?

Yes?

But, it's okay to lie, steal and cheat members of all their human dignity and perpetuate a complete sham of a religion?

WTH(heck)!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.