Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 10:51AM

This is not a political topic, I'm merely trying to figure out what will happen after the election. Usually once a candidate loses the general election, they're all but forgotten by Wednesday morning. You're an after thought and all focus is on the president-elect.

So... If Romney loses, I'm trying to figure out if all the current hype about mormonism will be a thing of the past. People will forget about it and the religion will cease to be under the microscope. Mormonthink.com would see it's current 1.1 million monthly hits reduced to 100k hits a month?

If Romney on the other hand wins, could this be good for the "anti-mormon" cause for 4 more years? Especially if he turns out to be a jerk off of a president?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 10:53AM

Isn't the question "If Romney wins does that mean God helped him, but if Romney loses God didn't help him?"

Posted by: jah ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 01:01PM

If he wins it was the will of God. If he loses, it was the work of the adversary.

Posted by: mondaymorning ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 11:37AM

More like if Romney loses, how fast will he be called into the seventy or quorum?

Date: September 10, 2012 12:20PM

Probably not until after his 2016 run at least.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 01:05PM

Losing nominees have no second life in politics. Even Al Gore, who won the popular vote, couldn't come back in 2004 for a rematch.

Republicans will want nothing to do with Romney in 2016 if he loses this year. See John McCain, John Kerry, Bob Dole, Michael Dukakis, Walter Mondale, etc.

Posted by: Swiper ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 03:38PM

axeldc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Losing nominees have no second life in politics.
> Even Al Gore, who won the popular vote, couldn't
> come back in 2004 for a rematch.

*cough* Nixon *cough*

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 04:15PM

And it was 44 years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2012 04:16PM by axeldc.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 01:50PM

No

Romney will never be made a GA. He has too much of a public record.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 12:04PM

I've been wondering about the same question.

I've concluded that either a Romney win or a Romney defeat, Mormonism is destined to fall back off the media radar.

No one but fanatics worries too much about Obama's Reverend Wright, just as no one but fanatics worries too much about the Bush's freemasonry, skull & bones and the going-ons at the Bohemian Grove.

As weird as mormonism is, there's weirder. And as significant as mormonism is to RfM, there are far more significant things for the citizenry to think about and talk about.

Posted by: Sperco ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 05:15PM

I think there is a difference between Obama's Reverend Wright and Mormonism.

People don't have representatives from Reverend Wright knocking on their door trying to convert them. Reverend Wright also doesn't do internet ads and TV commercials. This makes it a lot easier to not think about Reverend Wright unless you are a fanatic

I think that if Romney wins and as long as we still have missionaries bothering people and TV commercials, we will have more than just fanatics thinking about mormonism and how crazy it is.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 08:03PM

I've had several people ask me about mormonism re. Romney. People care.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 12:19PM

He will probably lose and Mormonism will fall back into oblivion, where it belongs.
I can see it relegated to being a quaint oddity from centuries gone by, like the Amish or the Quakers.

It's possible that Romney will eventually be called as a GA but it would depend on how much enthusiasm he really brings to the table.

Even so, what does it mean to be a GA nowadays. Not much.
The web and DNA results have taken the fire out of Mormonism.

Once people wise up and stop paying 10% of their gross income for a fraud, it will be curtains for the cult.

Date: September 10, 2012 12:22PM

TSM can stand at the pulpit in general conference and say, the whole thing is a fraud, JS was a fake and you're wasting your money when paying tithing.

That will not be enough to convince TBM's that the church is not true.

Posted by: HopiBon! ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 12:56PM

Romney will not take a GA or 12 position for two reasons.

1) Any Mormon who might run in the future (remember, Mormons think they'll continue to grow and eventually take over) would be hurt if Mitt loses after claiming that he wasn't running to "pastor in chief" to go be labeled one of the 12 apostles.

2) Mitt Romney would never take anything but the top job. CEO, Governor or President. I know he ran for the Senate, but that was before he developed his God complex "rescuing" the SLC Olympics.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 01:38PM

Have you seen the guy? He's a fake, condescending, prick of a man who thinks he's above the rules. How will he not be a jerk-off of a POTUS?

Posted by: Claire Ferguson ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 01:42PM

And he pissed us Brits off with his comments about the Olympics!

Date: September 10, 2012 02:17PM

I wanted to stay away from the personal side and politics, but I can totally see how some foreigner coming along and telling you how to run things and critiquing would be quite offensive. Just like how when Hillary Clinton came to Canada and read us the riot act for announcing our intentions to leave Afghanistan.

Moral of the story, don't butt into other countries issues when it's not your issue.

This so called "god complex" he got from SLC 2002 makes him think he's the all knowing wise one when it comes to other peoples olympics.

Piss off! is all I have to say

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 01:58PM

The "Book of Mormon" musical gets the silver medal.

If Mittens loses, what ever salient Mormon moment trails it is too far off to forecast. Mittens' career compounded by his age will be over. I predict a continued slow decline for LDS, Inc. which will accelerate as people continue to distance themselves from organized religion. It will last as long as the money holds out, which they have A LOT of, so I don't predict its demise any time soon.

To lessen the numbers of lost sheeple, LDS, Inc. needs to reinvent itself. Someone at the top has to figure out that they need to distance themselves from the "One True Church" doctrine. If they don't, it will be the rope they hang themselves with.

If Mittens wins, it could prolong the "Mormon Moment" and could turn it more towards respectability. We are less likely to mock a seated president than a presidential candidate. However, criticism will never entirely go away in regards to Mittens' Moism.

Posted by: grubbygert ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 02:38PM

i agree with almost everything...

"We are less likely to mock a seated president"

um, i don't know how the last few years have been where you live but...

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 05:08PM

grubbygert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i agree with almost everything...
>
> "We are less likely to mock a seated president"
>
> um, i don't know how the last few years have been
> where you live but...

I think we are less likely to mock or criticize a seated president's religion than when s/he is a candidate. Of course, someone always will criticize but less so in the mainstream media (whatever that is these days). The office always gets at least a modicum of respect and more so when we are united by a common enemy (like the 9/11 terrorists, etc.).

In short, if Mittens gets elected I think we're going to hear less negative talk about his religion than we are now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2012 05:08PM by mrtranquility.

Posted by: just a thought ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 02:00PM

Romney is already 65 years old. If he loses again, I doubt he will run again at 69. But anything is possible.

Romney was offered a job to run the hedge fund Tiger Management after he dropped out of the 2008 race. His salary would have been $30 million per year plus a share of the profits. He probably would have been a billionaire now instead of a multi-millionaire. I suspect he'd accept a job like that the second time around.

As to what the average mormon would think, I just heard some of the craziest nonsense I've ever heard in my life out of the mouths of a couple of twenty year old college girls. Something about tracking down gun owners and confiscated weapons if Obama wins again this time round.

Bottomline, people will interpret a Romney loss or a win emotionally, and the source of these emotions will be their own biases and fears.

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 02:13PM

Ted Nugent, Hank Jr. that whacko from Lubbock.

lots of people are pretty comfortable mocking a sitting president.

I don't mind so long as it's a Democratic President.

Posted by: Nancy Rigdon ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 03:46PM

If he does lose, mormonism falls back in the shadows.

If TSCC is going to be exposed, it needs to be NOW.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 05:26PM

Then for 2-3 years mormons won't be in the news other than the occasional mention of Warren Jeffs, polgamists, and the normal LDS denial that those people are Mormons.

After 2-3 years candidates will start lining up, and JH, Jr. will hope to move to the front like Mitt did. The best thing JH, Jr. could do would be to say he is an exmormon, but embraces his mormon culutural heritage. Even if he lost UT (which I doubt he would), he would gain on the national scene.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 05:30PM

Actually, a 2016 election with Huntsman on the ballot could be interesting if he declared he is an ex-Mormon. Utahns would have to hold their noses and vote R, or vote for a dreaded D.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 05:34PM

Huntsman is way too liberal to have any chance on the republican ticket. That's why so many of us here like him so well...

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 05:30PM

Would be great to see him and Wes Clark on a ticket.

Posted by: sistertwister ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 07:22PM

I want to see Mitt Romney win the election -(don't laugh)

Can you imagine the scrutiny the LDS church would be under once he got into office?!!

This might be the beginning of the end once the rest of the world starts to question business practices and finances of the Morg. There would be so many unanswered questions and embarrassment on the part of the GA's. Frankly, I want to see them dance and face the music.

If Mitt Romney becomes Mr. President, this could be the big can of worms we have all been waiting for.

*Stay Tuned*

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 07:51PM

If Romney wins, how soon do you think it'll be that he gets called to clean the bathrooms?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.