Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: September 14, 2012 07:34PM

I remember the September 6 because I am a writer and I identified with them, thinking, "That could have been me.". I was reading in Wiki today that Maxine Hanks was rebaptised in Feb of 2012. Does anyone here know her story? Why would she choose to be rebaptised almost 10 years later? Just curious...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: September 14, 2012 07:53PM

We had a robust discussion on the reasoning and wisdom of it all. Suffice to say, we continue to have differing opinions but remain close friends and in occassional contact.

Maxine figured (correctly) that word would eventually leak out into the public realm regarding her re-baptism and therefore asked me not to talk on RfM about her plans to rejoin or about her eventual baptism, to which I agreed.

Maxine also asked that I not go on this site and detail her reasons for rejoining, since trolls here have hammered her, mercilessly and falsely, regarding her past and her present situation, and therefore she didn't want to subject herself to that kind of foul treatment again. I agreed to that, as well.

I still, however, affectionately call her "Elvira of Palymra." :)

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2012 08:57PM by steve benson.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: September 14, 2012 07:55PM

Bravo Steve.

Date: September 14, 2012 08:00PM

I respect your loyalty, Steve, but her rejoining the Morg seems like a betrayal of all she stood for. The last thing I want is to cause her or anyone else anymore pain, but I think it would be helpful for me to understand where she's coming from.

Date: September 14, 2012 08:01PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2012 08:02PM by steve benson.

Date: September 14, 2012 08:03PM

Will do. I am pretty new here so it was probably before my time. Please accept my apologies for not googling before posting.

Date: September 14, 2012 08:04PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2012 08:04PM by steve benson.

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: September 14, 2012 08:47PM

This is an interesting quote from the Tribune article:

"Nobody asked me to disavow my book or stop writing," Hanks said. "All they asked me about was my relationship to Jesus Christ."

Hanks’ rebaptism suggests a difference in LDS leadership from then to now, said Dan Wotherspoon, Sunstone’s editor from 2001 to 2008. In the past, many Mormon officials had a sense, he said, that the church must protect its members from "wolves among them."

In May 1993, apostle Boyd K. Packer said the church’s three greatest threats came from feminists, gays and intellectuals.

Today, LDS leaders seem more inclined to recognize, said Wotherspoon, now host of the "Mormon Matters" podcast, "that Zion is made up of people of all types."
----------------------------------------------------

This is quite interesting. It suggests that the church is becoming more open-minded. Maybe in some places. She must be in Joanna Brooks' ward, along with these guys:
http://mormon.org/me/1gpp
http://mormon.org/me/1tjc
http://mormon.org/me/93XQ/Anna

In every ward or branch I have experience with, life would be impossible for gays or feminists. The remaining members of my family are living very unauthentic, unhappy, faking-it lives. Maybe they should move to the High-Profile Big-Tent ward.

I just can't shake the feeling that the sword of Damocles is hanging over the members. After November, they will start to shorten the reins.

Date: September 14, 2012 09:06PM

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: September 29, 2012 07:15PM

Not to change the subject, but under the story on the first link, a lady was asked what happened after we die, (Lady, worms eat us and we turn into those dust bunnies under beds.)

"HE CAME TO ME WHEN I WAS IN THE TEMPLE and told me that he was happy where he was at in heaven and to not grieve for him. It must be the happiest place ever because he left a baby son and a wife of 18 months behind here on earth,--for him to say that he was happy."

Ghost stories. Call the mishies, this proves the church is true...

Why does the morg let bat shit crazy people like this post on their websites?

Date: September 29, 2012 09:15PM

Posted by: mootman ( )
Date: September 14, 2012 08:53PM

I remember listening to Margaret Toscano describe how painful it is to be excluded from family things. I can totally identify with feeling like you might be able to fit in so you can be close to your peeps again. I don't begrudge a nice lady wanting to re-connect or something like that

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: September 14, 2012 09:27PM

Steve's respect for Maxine's decision regarding the church is honorable. However, when she told him she thought Santa was wonderful for the development of children, he waxed her bottom and hung demeaning doodles around her neighborhood.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2012 09:27PM by thingsithink.

Date: September 14, 2012 09:30PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2012 10:16PM by steve benson.

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: September 14, 2012 09:34PM

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: September 29, 2012 05:21PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2012 05:22PM by matt.

Posted by: hellonwheels ( )
Date: September 29, 2012 06:18PM

I am in the middle of Sonia Johnson and Sept 6. I held my daughter when she she was "blessed". Those poor old boys didn't know what to do with me---so they did nothing. My husband (nevermo) stood in the circle. I am sure they thought he was an Elder.

Posted by: sophia ( )
Date: September 29, 2012 09:49PM

This was just posted. I just now started listening, so I don't know if she talks about her return to the church.

http://feministmormonhousewivespodcast.org/?p=237

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.