Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Samantha Baker ( )
Date: September 15, 2012 01:41AM

Did any of you have to ask permission to go to the doctor while on your mission?

We had to ask the MP's wife. What I do not remember is if we had to ask to go even if we had our own insurance. I remember asking once and being told no, that I couldn't go, but I also remember going without having asked/gotten permission. I had my own insurance during my mission so maybe the difference was the companion I was with??? I don't know, most of my mission is fuzzy to me.

What screams louder than cult if you have to ask permission to see a doctor? I think maybe I'm more mad that I let them treat me like a child.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: September 15, 2012 01:55AM

One of my apostate brothers was on his mission, and got an ear infection. Church tries to save money by sending them to a member who is technically a doctor, but has been retired for years. Guy screws up the prescriptions because he is not really familiar with all the new drugs. Instead of a pain killer and an antibiotic, my brother gets two different forms of pain killer. Feels wonderful until the day his cochlea ruptures. He spends a couple days unable to move from a spot on the floor until his mentally ill companion picks up the courage to call the mission president for permission to call an ambulance.

My brother was close to going home, and was scheduled to start attending the Air Force Academy. Needless to say, that didn't end up happening as the Air Force has no use for deaf cadets.

Date: September 15, 2012 07:46AM

Awful. Why do we turn off our brains and stop thinking for ourselves? I guess that is the cult brainwashing @ work. So sorry about your brother. So needless.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 15, 2012 08:36AM

Posted by: gus2144 ( )
Date: September 15, 2012 08:56AM

Lucky for me I'm 19 and told the bishop I'm not going on a mission. I've read too many stories where they guilt you from getting sick.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 15, 2012 08:58AM

Date: September 15, 2012 09:10AM

Good for you! You get to keep thinking and acting for yourself!

Date: September 15, 2012 09:27AM

Posted by: Darksparks ( )
Date: September 15, 2012 09:29AM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 15, 2012 09:23AM

One day at work, I was discussing with a colleague whether or not I should see my physician for something that was bothering me (I'm not one of those people who goes at the drop of a hat.) She looked at me and asked, "Do you have a medical degree?" "No." "Don't you think you should see someone who does?" I took her point.

The MP's wife does not have a medical degree. The MP in most cases does not have a medical degree. Missionaries should be able to freely see someone who does (and as FCD points out, a *current* license to practice medicine as well.)

Denying missionaries competent medical care is one of the greatest abuses of Mormon missions. I believe that parents of missionaries who are currently serving should instruct their son or daughter to call the parent if they are ever denied prompt service from a fully licensed professional.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2012 11:14AM by summer.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: September 15, 2012 09:31AM

I was told again and again in my mission that I should feel very lucky, because the Church pays for all of our health insurance.

(Ireland has socialized health care.)

Posted by: mindlight ( )
Date: September 15, 2012 11:11AM

Damn, FCD - I didn't know that about your brother.
These stories really get to me

*Spits but still pissed

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: September 15, 2012 11:12AM

For me/us, is wasn't so much permission to go to a doctor, but the fact we would be down in proselyting hours when we called in our numbers at the end of the week.

It was all about the numbers.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 15, 2012 03:04PM

Some whose medical situation became serious or critical b/c of being Denied Permission would be a HUGE setback for ChurchCo; I doubt if they would do that to a child of Royalty.

Can you imagine being the parent in that circumstance?

Posted by: irreverentingeorgia ( )
Date: September 16, 2012 07:41AM

I had to ask....more importanlty I got Strep and even though I was 22 because I was female I was told by the TBM Dr. that I was to call my district leader who was some 19 year old from a one horse town with one street light permission to rest a day! I called and he said " I have to pray about it " MISSIONS ARE STUPID!

The fact that I even looked to others to give me permission to be sick speaks loudly about how mind controlled a missionary is!

I get infuriated every time I think about my mission ...riding a bike, in a dress in Detroit winters . 19 year olds boys being assigned to dominate and all the 21-23 year old women submitting .

Don't even get me started on apartment checks! Some Elder doing the white glove test and then deciding that our oven wasn't clean enough so we did not get P-day. Same Elder the next time wanting to know why we didn't have his favorite hot chocolate waiting for him and when I rolled my eyes ...his response " Be very careful "Sister _________" or you will have your zone leader angry with you "

If i saw that tool today I would have to slap him :)

Posted by: Anonforthisone ( )
Date: September 16, 2012 07:53AM

YES, too much walking screwed up my knee. It was swollen and every step was unbelievable. I asked and was sent (with my own insurance) to a local doctor (foreign mission) who described that I needed a brace and to stop walking for 6 or so weeks or I would do permanent damage to it (he was not a church associated doctor).

He wrote this on a prescription pad. My mission president who reminds me so much of romney right now that I could scream--told me that the lord was testing me. Asked me, didn't I have enough faith in God to believe that I was to go on with my mission. No rest for me.

That was over 20 years ago and I have permanent damage to my knee and a handicapped placard to prove it.

THANK YOU TSCC for helping me through my most extreme period of brainwashing...NEVER AGAIN!!

Posted by: Darksparks ( )
Date: September 16, 2012 12:44PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2012 12:48PM by darksparks.

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: September 16, 2012 01:11PM

Untreated strep results can result in rheumatic fever, which is potentially severely damaging to the heart. My Uncle died at age 28 in 1963 from this situation which he had as a child. So do not let anyone tell you "It is just a sore throat".

Posted by: Schaffner ( )
Date: September 16, 2012 05:01PM

Luckily for one elder, my mission president wasn't so strict. I was in the Frankfurt, Germany mission in the '70s and was in the town of Mannheim. They had a big fair there called the Bundesgartenschau, the Federal Garden Show. Our president and his wife wanted to see it, so they said everyone in the zone could come with us on a certian date, and anyone else in the mission can ask permission to go. We had a great time! There was a big kids play area that had some giant balls (about 10 ft. high) held down by cargo nets. You could climb and them and bounce on them. One elder bounced off and hit his head on the ground! Right in front of the mission president. An ambulance was called and he was whisked off to the nearby hospital. He had to spend several weeks in bed, so the relief society president said he could come stay with her family in a nearby village. Since I was a greenie still learning my discussions it was decided I would go with him and spend my time studying, and our senior companions would work together. So, I got to sit in the garden every day and had got to know good German food while the other Elder got better!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.