Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Darksparks ( )
Date: September 15, 2012 09:09AM

I went through the Logan temple in 1969. It was my first time. There was no movie. All the "action" was done by the local farmers in the area.

I had to make myself take it seriously when I saw these funny looking old men with sun burnt heads dressed in white and with green apron attire try their hand at acting.

Had I not been a farmer myself, with my own redneck farmer dad taking it all so seriously, I probably would have burst out laughing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NotNow ( )
Date: September 15, 2012 09:46AM

I first went through in 1960 (Salt Lake). I was in total shock because I had heard nothing but criticism about Catholics for having statues and other "graven images." But there I was, sitting in front of a statue-like actor and surrounded by "graven images" on the walls. I couldn't believe that the ridiculousness of the situation didn't seem to register with anyone but me.

In retrospect, I wish I had said I wasn't feeling well and then left.

I'm told a relative of mine cried for three days after a first temple experience.

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: September 15, 2012 09:55AM

SL Temple 1979(?). I've never had the desire to see 'the movie' and I never have. I thought that showing a film was sacrilegious. I thought: Why not do everything else with a movie, like the anointing, the chants, the handgrips, and the passwords? Now I know it's adults playing 'secret membership club' games.

Posted by: anonemouse ( )
Date: September 15, 2012 10:09AM

I went through the temple for the first time in my missionary training week in 1970.
My father was a nevermo and I had heard of garments but had never seen any. I bought some one piece garments without the zipper prior to to going to the temple.
My reaction was similar to "NotNow". The temple was everthing the church had told me it wasn't.
Then in total dismay and bewilderment I had to try to figure out how to put on one piece garments in a tiny changing booth on a 6 foot 200 pound frame.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: September 15, 2012 10:22AM

Idaho Falls temple 1952, then during the 50s also in Salt Lake, Logan, Manti and St. George.

After I had left the church in the late '50s I went to the open house at the Oakland temple in the early 60s, where for the first time I realized they were going to use films (because there was a huge movie screen and no murals in the endowment room). I laughed out loud, and thought, "This REALLY proves the church isn't true- their most sacred ceremony is to watch a movie!"

I think the church made a big mistake to change from "live" to film - when it was live, it was not quite so boring, because every time the officiators were different, the lights were always on, and it was much harder to be lulled to sleep. It seemed more like a religious ritual than watching a movie possibly could.

Can you imagine the outrage among the Catholics if every Catholic church had a film of the Mass, instead of a real priest?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 15, 2012 10:23AM

That was bizarre--to say the least. Monotone voices. I guess the movie was better (or not)--that movie. Oh my!!!

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: September 15, 2012 10:37AM

Got married in 1970 in Idaho Falls. Was on the front row because I was a bride going through for the first time. Besides the shock of what I was seeing and taking part in, the actors were so old! Trying to imagine Adam and Eve when the people playing those parts were close to 80, I just couldn't get my mind around it. It was so weird. I also was very upset that I didn't get to sit with my groom to be. It was a scary time and I wanted him with me.

One bride did back out that day and they came in and asked everyone in the so and so party to step out of the room. It seemed like kind of a big deal and was just another weird thing that happened.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.