Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: September 30, 2010 09:11AM

I was raised in the church. I bought into everything they told me hook, line and sinker. This of course included the supposedly truly original doctrine of eternal marriage. We are the only church that teaches this, I was told ad nauseum.

Well dress me up and call me Tonya. Guess what? I discovered that Orthodox Christianity teaches - and has always taught - that the marriage convenant (performed by them, of course) continues on into the next life.

Yet another lie I was taught by the LDS Church. And I am truly dumbfounded as to how they always get away with it.

Do any of you know of other religions that have always taught doctrines that the LDS church considers original to itself?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: September 30, 2010 09:17AM

there are 34,000 denominations of christianity (conservative estimate..... some sources put the number higher)

so, whatever doctrine one believes - it is likely to be replicated in several other denoms

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2010 09:17AM by onceanelder.

Posted by: Erin ( )
Date: September 30, 2010 09:43AM

Yes but mormons are the only ones with the true authority to seal a marriage and family for ever and ever in the temple.

Cause mormon god cares more about where you are married and who performs the ceremony than the love a family has and the life built together.

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: October 01, 2010 08:48AM

Shamelessly self topping.

Posted by: Ex Aedibus ( )
Date: October 01, 2010 09:15AM

Actually, Emmanuel Swedenborg, the 18th century Swedish mystic whose writing may have influenced Joseph Smith's conceptions of the afterlife held that the marriage covenant lasts beyond death. Joseph Smith may have drawn his concept from the telestial, terrestrial, and celestial kingdoms from Swedenborg's writings which had something of a following in the 19th century. There are three denominations in America devoted to Swedenborg's teachings. The oldest, the Swedenborgian Church, owns the stunning Wayfarer's Chapel in Ranchos Palos Verdes, CA. The General Church of the New Jerusalem in Bryn Athyn, PA just outside Philadelphia is another. They own a marvelous Neo-Gothic edifice at their headquarters designed by Ralph Adams Cram. The third has the long name of The Lord's New Church Which Is Nova Hierosolyma is the smallest and also headquartered in the Philadelphia area.

Posted by: Puli ( )
Date: October 01, 2010 10:25AM

Doesn't the "until death" phrase of the ceremony come right after "forsaking all others" phrase? So a married person is supposed to forgo relations with all others until parted by the death of their spouse. It's actually no different than the LDS practice except NMormons have some after death nonsense that can cause a person (females in particular) to be considered less desirable if they are spoken for in the afterlife.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.