Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: EXMO = EXCOUGAR? ( )
Date: September 16, 2012 09:10PM

If I become an EXMO can I still cheer for BYU without cheering for Mormonism?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: toto ( )
Date: September 16, 2012 09:12PM

After yesterday's game against the Utes, you still want to cheer for BYU? OK, go ahead. :o)

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: September 16, 2012 09:13PM

Yes, but why would you want to?Seriously, some ex Mos do cheer for BYU.

Posted by: 2moreyears ( )
Date: September 16, 2012 10:37PM

I go to BYU and I think we're superior to the Utes in academics, but not in sports. ;)

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: September 16, 2012 11:04PM

I couldn't disagree more. LOL

Posted by: templeendumbed ( )
Date: September 16, 2012 10:51PM

No, not possible, stop it now and you need to go confess this sin to a sportsbar bartender muy pronto because he has the proper authority to absolve you and counsel you out of this self abusing behavior.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: September 16, 2012 11:06PM

Cheer for whoever you want to.

Posted by: turnonthelights ( )
Date: September 16, 2012 11:21PM

No

Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: September 16, 2012 11:33PM

no, you may not. lol.

one the beauties of being an ex-mormon is to learn to think for yourself. if you are waiting for any of us to spoon feed you what you are supposed to believe then you might as well go back to mormonism.

free your mind.

Posted by: EXMO or MO ( )
Date: September 17, 2012 12:20AM

I am trying to think for myself. But just wanted to get your opinion on whether cheering for BYU is equivalent to cheering for mormondom. If i went with your suggestion to think for myself only, there would be no use for this board, but this board helps to let me know what others think too.

Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: September 17, 2012 02:22AM

i'm afraid you can't compare your cheerleading dilemmas vs real crises such as messages from people trying to find peace and solace after their wives chose the cult over them - for example.

i understand there's room for jokes, light weight conversations about whatever, but cheerleading advice?

you see the imbalance and you knew exactly what i meant on my first post.

i mean, so what if rooting for byu means rooting for mormonism. go for it. live *your* life in your *own* terms. make up your own rules as you go along. if people agree with your views, fine. if they don't, that's cool too. there are no prophets to follow here except yourself. i mean that. you have tremendous potential, be the light by being your own light.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: September 16, 2012 11:42PM

I still cheer for them except at times like yesterday, then I groan.

Date: September 16, 2012 11:49PM

Date: September 16, 2012 11:50PM

Aww, shucks!

Date: September 16, 2012 11:51PM

I can't help the way I was born. I'm actually the first one in a long line of Mormon hillbilly ancestors to go to college. I'm pretty proud of that degree. I dun finished kolig.

Date: September 16, 2012 11:55PM

I was the first girl in my family to go to college. I gots me a duhgree too.

Date: September 17, 2012 01:12AM

We shuld be kin!

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 12:55AM

twojedis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We shuld be kin!

If you're both from Utah, you probably are :-)

Posted by: Mujun ( )
Date: September 17, 2012 12:01AM

Boise State is gonna beat the crap out of them.

Thus spake Mujun.

Posted by: Anti-Brigham-Young-Cougarite ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 01:21PM

I completely agree Mujun, the Broncos are going open a fifty-five gallon can of whoop-ass on those itty bitty kitty's. Final score BSU 56 - BYU 6

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: September 17, 2012 12:39AM

Why not? If you went there, or if you grew up rooting for them, no reason to dislike them just because you're exmo.

T-Bone

Posted by: motherwhoknows ( )
Date: September 17, 2012 04:32AM

I went to BYU, and when I left, I stopped cheering for them. I had a good time there, skiing, going to parties, dances, having fun in the dorm, and I even liked some of the classes. I did not like the dress codes, rules, students cheating on tests, and ratting out each other. My dorm room was robbed, my car was broken into and robbed twice, my bicycle was stolen, my skis, some clothes, and jewelery were stolen (my own roommate was stealing from me), a mugger broke my wrist, I had an attempted date rape, and when I transferred out of there, I felt that I was leaving a war zone. I loved the other universities! I would never send my children to BYU.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: September 17, 2012 10:25PM

Dang, I never got robbed and my car was never broken in to. I went to the U for college, and a Midwestern school for law. My law school was near a big city with a lot of crime, too.

I guess we can't assume BYU is safe and crime-free just because the Mormon ideal is total honesty, obeying the law, and all that. Of course, I'm sure the BYU fans will tell you that a non-Mormon must have got on to campus and that this is an isolated incident.

To be fair, my sister attended BYU in the 80's, and they told the incoming freshman during orientation not to get complacent. Even at BYU, there have been rapes.

T-Bone

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: September 17, 2012 08:36AM

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: September 17, 2012 02:19PM

No, but praying for them does.

Apparently the Ute fans were more prayerful than the Coug fans this weekend.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: September 17, 2012 02:24PM

I do, and I hate what BYU stands for, but I had such a positive experience there that it's part of me. I also love football.

Posted by: BYUAlumnuts ( )
Date: September 17, 2012 05:43PM

BYU represents that poop heap of a religion.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: September 17, 2012 07:45PM

No you can only cheer for the Utes.

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 07:57AM

Especially if they are goodlooking...

Posted by: mondaymorning ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 10:28AM

Yes. The beauty of leaving TSCC is that you can do whatever you want and it's nobody's business but your own!

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 11:14AM

I'm a BYU football fan, and I think a lot of BYU alums who have left the church still cheer for BYU. I don't believe that athletic success in anyway reflects on religious beliefs.

I'm not about to give up my BA from BYU, so why should I give up my sports affiliation?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.