Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sharapata ( )
Date: September 17, 2012 03:46PM

Apparently being dirt poor really does make you unworthy for a temple!

http://ldschurchgrowth.blogspot.com/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 17, 2012 03:54PM

...(in my opinion, anyway) is that if the temple ordinances are essential to exaltation, then there should be temples wherever there are Mormons. They should make a special point of putting temples in places where members are stuck on an island.

Of course, I'd rather those members ditch Mormonism, but if they're going to stay, they should all be treated equally important to the church.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: September 17, 2012 03:59PM

If the temple ordinances WERE real and as important as they say they are, they would spend less on each building and build more of them.

There is no need (I've said this till I'm blue) for the big monster in Philly. For the same build cost, they could build 4-5 smaller less showy ones. There might be a need for one in Rome, but there will NEVER be a need for one as large as they are building. They only would need a mini McTemple that seats 30 there.

Posted by: jackamormon ( )
Date: September 17, 2012 04:01PM

and use the 7 billion dollars of revenue they generated from tithing this past year to help better living conditions in Haiti?

Oh, yeah, because that's something Jesus actually would do.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: September 17, 2012 08:50PM

They will be bringing in supplies for the children and will participate in improving the infrastructure by painting the buildings. I've told him he will do more Christ-like service during his two weeks in Haiti than if he ever served a two-year mission for the LDS church there.

;o)

Posted by: rise ( )
Date: September 17, 2012 04:03PM

Just goes to show what the church is all about

Posted by: diableavecargent ( )
Date: September 17, 2012 04:39PM

Now just sit back and wait for the delightsomeness to start showing ...

Wait for it........ Wait for it.........

Waaaaaaaiiiiiiiiittt for iiiiiitttt......

Any second now..... Aaaaaaany second now......

Posted by: Dallin A. Chokes ( )
Date: September 17, 2012 06:47PM

Easy answer: because there is poverty, no one can pay tithing. Because no one can pay tithing, no one is WORTHY of the blessings of the temple.

Ta-DA!

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: September 17, 2012 06:57PM

Posted by: Chicken'n'Backpacks ( )
Date: September 17, 2012 06:59PM

Jesus would be pissed.

Just thinkin' out loud...

Posted by: nomo moses ( )
Date: September 17, 2012 07:04PM

At least they have a temple on the same island (Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic) and travel is cheaper than from other islands in the temple district (Puerto Rico).

Posted by: jbug ( )
Date: September 17, 2012 08:15PM

My thought is that since the point of the Handshake Houses is to generate money for the cult, and the Haitians tend to be poor....what would be the point of the cult building a money-sucking Handshake house there??? There are other places where they could make a bigger prophet...uh, I mean PROFIT. That's what they really care about.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: September 17, 2012 08:38PM

It would be absolutely obscene for any group on earth to build a fancy-shmancy building like a temple in a place that needs--actually NEEDS--so much more.

Posted by: jbug ( )
Date: September 17, 2012 08:43PM

Adult of God, if the cult thought they could make a profit there, they would build the Handshake House. They don't give a rat's ass about the poor there or anywhere else.

Posted by: throwaway22 ( )
Date: September 17, 2012 09:06PM

I did the math last time and you could send just about every active member (5 million-ish) to a temple for their ordinances for the price of City Creek.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2012 09:07PM by throwaway22.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.