Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: taketheredpill ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 05:40PM

I was downtown at Temple Square reflecting on my life as a TBM a while ago. I noticed the pentagrams on the 3 pillars on either end of the SLC temple have up-right pentagrams, where as the rest of the building has the upside-down pentagrams (on all the walls and above the main doors).

I know it's originally from Freemasonry, but does anyone know why the difference of the up-right vs. upside down pentagrams?

I kept thinking why the difference, and what was going through BY mind at the time.

THOUGHTS

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 05:48PM

They've already been challenged and explained this here:

http://www.spellsandmagic.com/pentagrams.html

"Now there is also the upside-down Pentagram. It represents Satan or the world of matter ruling over God. Deciding when the inverted star actually came to be known as a symbol of evil can be confusing. There is no general consensus among historians and even Wiccans and witches are not in full agreement. Some say this happened around the time of the Inquisition, while others say it could have been as late as the 19th century. Normally it is only worn by Satanists or devil worshipers, but the Mormans have used this symbol inverted for quite some time and Mormon apologists have quickly come to their church's defense by insisting that pentagrams have historically been a positive symbol and only recently have become a symbol of evil, therefore concluding that any comparison to the Nauvoo pentagrams is nothing more than sensationalism. The Freemasons also use this symbol inverted in their ranks. Now I know they they do worship the "Light Bearer" (Lucifer) but they worship him for the light. So you see someone can take any symbol and change the meaning of it to suit their own needs and this is fine."

So it is Masonic?

All righty then....

Briggy

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 07:49PM

I am knowledgeable in these things; but I thought Wiccans and Satanists are unrelated?

Posted by: taketheredpill ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 05:53PM

I guess my real question is why the 3 pillars on the SLC Temple have the upright pentagrams, but the walls have the upside down pentagrams?

Posted by: slatheredtwice ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 06:01PM

My approach may be overly simplistic. However, I think its a lot simpler than trying to figure out intention. Catholic cathedrals have all kinds of figures carved into the stone. I would guess that Joseph felt the Nauvoo temple should have carving like but not the same as those on cathedrals. He had a Jupiter stone and was familiar with the zodiac and masonic symbols, so why not use those.

When I first saw the San Diego temple, I recognized at once that the design had been stolen from a cathedral in Spain. What was / is the meaning? I think it is a just matter that it looks striking. Lots of temples just have flat walls. No mysterious symbols there. If the sun and moon stones and so on are important to a temple, they would be on all of them and not just a few.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: July 15, 2016 01:19PM

I try to desensitize myself to it.

Posted by: mostcorrectedbook ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 06:03PM

Haha. This was initially one of my main concerns. But it doesn't matter if it breeds satanism or not.
What's more important is that the ordinances are Masonic, not the revealed gospel.
You can also face-plant TSCC that they are hypocritical about refusing the sign of the Cross (Jesus), while they boast pentagrams and all astrological symbols on their most holy buildings.

Another thing to note is that "The Nail" represents Satan because he loves the pain that was inflicted on Jesus.

Yeah, the temple (Masonic) ordinances really blow you away. They never tell you this in the prep class. You are peer-pressured to follow through everything on your first day. Also forced to bend your mind that these are spiritual (good kind).

Edit, added comment:
You can see my fresh exit experience (<3 days) at
http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,641687
I refuse to wear any Masonic symbols.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2012 06:07PM by mostcorrectedbook.

Posted by: Jim Huston ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 06:17PM

The pentagrams, sun stones, moon stones, beehive and most other ornamentation came directly from Freemasonry. This includes the three pillars which stand for wisdom, strength and beauty.

Upright Pentagram
"By the early Christians it was used to represent the five wounds, the stigmata of the Consolator Mundi, by the Rosicrucians, the five elements and the five senses. Our (Freemason's) five-pointed star is in all probability derived from it and is hermetic in origin. Bro. Oliver connects it with the star of manifestation, and builds up a Johannite theory of Christian Masonry upon it. But as according to the old hermetic teachers the Star of Hermes, the great Teacher, was to brighten up the seekers after Light along the misty pathway of this earthly life, to illuminate the darkness of the shadows of death with the radiant gleams of an eternal existence and everlasting truth, there seems to be a great analogy between hermetic and masonic use and teaching. The Pentalpha is also a masons' mark, and is found, I believe, in all countries where masons marks do abound, and also in all ages, more or less."

Inverted Pentagram
Not as much has been written about this, but it is a Masonic symbol signifying the Five Points of Fellowship or the brotherhood of the lodge. The Five Points of Fellowship was featured in the Mormon Temple ceremony until 1990. The inverted pentagram has also been the symbol for the Eastern Star, which is the Masonic women's organization, since its formation in 1950.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2012 06:19PM by Jim Huston.

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 07:21PM

Before new agers and rebellious teens co-opted it, the pentagram was the symbol of the Pythagoreans.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 08:08PM

Didn't the pentagram only recently become a satanic symbol? The way it usually works is something is used innocently by one group, then the Christos decide it is evil, and must be secretly used as part of devil worship.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 08:51PM

I don't think it's so much about Satanism as it is about intent. The upside-down pentagram is currently most associated with Satanism. The Mormon temple still has them on their temple walls. I don't care what else it means nor do I care what it meant in the 1850s. What I care about is that the temple doesn't have a cross on it, which is on most Christian bibles but it does have a pentagram, which is most Satanic bibles. Why the heck does it stay on the temple? Why don't they remove it? They give facelifts to temples, tear down ugly churches for new, cookie cutter ones, spend a fortune fixing the walls of the genealogy library and recently spent a ton of money diverting City Creek into the mall. They have the money to remove these pentacles from temple square and they just don't. Do they not care? Do they think we are stupid and won't look closely? Are they justifying it? Doesn't it bother them to have that identifier of Satanism? It should bother them. If I was looking for an old historical house to live in and restore and it had pentacles on the fireplace I'd either leave, running, wondering what the house was all about. Or they'd be the first thing I removed in my restoration of the house. They wouldn't still be there years later, especially if I had endless money to spend on myself. So what exactly is the intent?

However, if that's the sort of thing that fascinates you:

http://vigilantcitizen.com/sinistersites/sinister-sites-temple-square-utah/

The site is a bit conspiracy-theorist for me but the information is accurate (I checked the examples at temple square once to verify) if the conclusions are occasionally a bit out there.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 09:50PM

I only saw the pentagrams that went up up down down left right left right b a select start. Those pentagrams are more lively.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 10:20PM

I think some of the buildings in SLC bearing these symbols have been built in relatively recent years and since the occult connection has been made know. If I had a swastika on my house, no matter how innocently it might have been applied, modern connections would compel me to remove it and I certainly wouldn't add more.

Posted by: pansygilliams ( )
Date: July 14, 2016 02:56AM

Thanks to all for their replies. Your replies gave me lot of informatins.

http://www.lovesamrat.com/love-spell-spiritual-healing.html

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 14, 2016 04:08AM

Why the sudden interest in the hood ornament of that truck that just ran you over?

Posted by: elderpopejoy ( )
Date: July 14, 2016 10:30PM

Babyloncansuckit asks:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why the sudden interest in the hood ornament of
> that truck that just ran you over?

Cuz... when that thing on the hood is a popular symbol on buildings of a Masonic-made cult disguised as a church, I take sudden interest and suspect the truck had a rebungnified MorMason behind the wheel.

May the Worshipful Lodgemen of Brigham Young all end up smoking turds in Hell.

Posted by: fool ( )
Date: July 15, 2016 02:32PM

As a twooooo Christian I take this to mean that Joseph Smith and Brigham Young worshipped Satan.

Posted by: fatheredbyparents ( )
Date: July 15, 2016 07:46PM

I thought it was all about muslim astronomy and tracking the position of venus. Has that been debunked?

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: July 16, 2016 06:17AM

Please remember, everybody: THERE IS NO SATAN. HENCE THERE IS NO ACTUAL SATANISM. IT IS ALL MADE UP. THERE ARE NO ESTABLISHED RULES, AND THE ONLY CRITERION AMONG THOSE WHO CHOOSE THE SYMBOLS IS "THIS LOOKS REALLY COOL!!!"

The situation with Freemasonry is similar. Freemasonry is a total hodge-podge. DeWitt Clinton organized construction of the Erie Canal. He succeeded. He then tried organizing Freemasonry in his home state of New York. He failed. Every lodge of Masons is free to use and invent whatever symbols and rites it wants, subject only to the approval of its members. And, as with Satanism, the main criterion is "This looks really cool!"

I'll turn off the caps now. According to Cracked.c@m, the fount of all important knowledge, Satanism's venerable history dates back to the farthest reaches of time- namely, 1966.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2016 06:51AM by slskipper.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.