Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ducky333 ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 06:18PM

I met a lovely yw yesterday. She's a college student of 20 with Native American ancestry from a large town in southern Utah. The subject of religion came up. She stated adamantly that she will never go back to the church; I asked her if she'd mind sharing why.

She said she has a very small tattoo of a flower on her leg. She also has a tiny stud through her nose, emblem of her Pacific Northwest Indian tribe. She does not wear the eponymous nose ring but, instead, sports a small, shiny stud.

The last time she went to church, she wore a short skirt with sandals or flip flops. The bishop called her in to his office before church ended. He told her that the ward wanted to pay for her to have her tattoo removed by laser treatments. She said she stood there stunned and didn't know what to say to him. She did ask why the ward would want to do such a thing. He said that "certain families" felt the tattoo should be removed.

I thought, wow, what a weasel-like approach. Takes him out of the equation altogether to make it look like others had approached him on the subject (and perhaps they had; shame on all parties involved). She said, as if in answer to my thought, she didn't know if what he said was true or not with respect to these "families," but in her gut she felt that he was demanding it of her as bishop.

Which was pretty much proven upon his next words to her. He asked her, right then and there, to remove her nose stud. In his presence, as some freakish show of obedience. She told him why she wore it, but he was resolute, implacable. She said she then turned her back, walked out of his office and never looked back. Her mother was furious at the bishop as well. She and her family are now thinking of going to the local Catholic church.

I thought about this a lot yesterday. Isn't it amazing what bishops like him think are appropriate uses of his mantle as bishop? Furthermore, what does this say about appropriate uses of ward funds or donations by families? How did that accomplish the three-fold mission of the church in any way? It proved nothing but that he was a control freak and that more humanitarian uses for those funds weren't as important as her on-the-spot obedience to his authority. The whole story reeks of cultish control. I'm glad the girl had the guts to stand up to the bully.

Btw, sorry if the topic was misleading, but I thought it was appropriate since, in her words, he was asking her to remove something she considered a beautiful and artistic expression of self on her own body.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 06:24PM

That is so crazy! My son married a girl with tattoos; he was a newly returned missionary. All I told him (and I was TBM at the time) was that he needed to love her, everything about her, tattoos, ear gauges, and all. I told him that he'd better adore her and not expect her to change, and not to allow others to tell her to change either. The church is so darn concerned about outward appearance that they can't see for a second the soul within.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 06:35PM

You should write headlines for the news ;)

I have often been struck with how fixated some bishops are with physical appearance and dress. I've never seen anything quite that bad, but I sat in ward council / bishopric meetings with 2 different bishops who seemed to think one of the most important things for your spirituality is what you wore to church.

Date: September 18, 2012 08:18PM

I have written for newspapers before. And I have a bit of a dirty mind as well. LOL sorry.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 08:23PM

Yeah maybe I should say tabloids - I thought it was great!

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 06:58PM

ducky333 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have written for newspapers before. And I have
> a bit of a dirty mind as well. LOL sorry.

I still write for newspapers. And do I ever {ahem!} over write a headline? Too bloody right I do! ;o))

However, I think your choice of words made a very good point.

Date: September 20, 2012 04:05AM

Thank you. Are you from GB?

Posted by: Dallin A. Chokes ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 06:58PM

Shoot--your headline got me to read the WHOLE DANG POST. I'm upset about the way the girl was treated and at the presumptuousness of the bishop, but I'm more disappointed that the title was misleading. :)

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 07:33PM

You must have a dirty mind. I knew exactly what she meant. ;o)

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 07:13PM

That is too bad that he is so clueless and insensitive but hey, it is making them think about things, which is never bad.

I had a bishop instruct me once to approach a member who was visiting from another area, a woman in her mid-30s, who wore summer dresses, somewhat lower-cut and sleeveless. She was very well endowed, so to speak, with a passel of kids hanging off her, literally. The bishop didn't know her and I certainly didn't. He wanted me to tell her as a "concerned sister" that "sisters of the gospel don't walk around showing that much flesh". Hahahahahahahahaha. Even as a compliant new member I knew enough to realize that there are some boundaries in place, sometimes, somewhere, for a reason.

I didn't say anything to the woman. She only attended a couple of meetings and we never saw her again.

What kind of church thinks its members and leaders have a right to comment on how others dress, and expect them to change? Oh wait. The Mormon Church. Maybe that was all she could afford to wear. Maybe there wasn't "so much flesh" on view before she had so many kids. Maybe she liked that type of clothing or the way she looked in it.

She wasn't the only woman who made the bishop's face turn red. One of the investigators at one time was in her early 20s, only just leaving a life of prostitution, and she still wore revealing clothing (i.e., transparent) without a bra. While she didn't show as much naked flesh as Woman 1, she certainly had a strong effect on the missionaries, who wouldn't meet with her unless I could be there too as a chaperone. I did feel sorry for the 21 yr old guys who had to conduct a "discussion" with a very attractive same-age female who was so obviously sans the requisite underclothing. Still, I never said anything to her about her choices. She already felt judged enough, as she stated on more than one occasion. As with so many, she did get baptized, but only attended one meeting afterwards and then was never seen again. (She freely admitted that she was still having sex with her bf but yet the bishop/SP and missionaries still went ahead with the baptism. So who's the hypocrite in the crowd? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm???)

Posted by: diableavecargent ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 07:48PM

The bishop and mercenaries probably knew that the girl in story number two was just having "spiritual" sex with the bf.... The kind that JS was taking part in..... So it's all cool.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 07:41PM

It's unbelievable how some "leaders" treat people--especially women--based on their clothing or tiny unique features of their appearance. What happened to "the Lord looketh on the heart?"

In the ward I was about eight years ago, there was a very faithful woman who had started attending our ward after she turned 31 and "aged out" of the local singles ward. She and I got to be friendly, but most of the other TBMs would barely speak to her. You see, she had small tattoo on her collar bone that had deep significance to her, which she explained to all the nosy hags who made remarks about it. She was barred from holding a calling and the bishop told her he didn't think she deserved a temple recommend. After about a year of this treatment, she went inactive. I tried to keep in touch but she wasn't interested...can't say I blame her.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2012 07:49PM by stbleaving.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 08:16PM

In my experience, offering to deflower girls is a good way to get pepper sprayed. I think she should have pepper sprayed that bishop.

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 05:50PM

I think the bishop deserved a 'bear spray'...

('bear spray' is pepper spray designed to stop grizzly bears...)

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 08:27PM

Your post should have read "Bishop offers to pay to deflower a young woman"

Date: September 18, 2012 08:40PM

I thought about it--Bishop offers to deflower young woman--but didn't want to go that far. Might call even more attention from lurkers looking to cause trouble; I don't know if they look at sublines or everything posted, so I went a bit more removed.

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 01:37AM

Smart thinking. We don't want to get too carried away.

Posted by: chiefluma ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 11:51PM

Interesting post. How rude for the Bishop even saying that to her.

Posted by: notamo ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 02:28AM

The post says the bishop offered ward money to pay for the removal of the tattoo. I don't know how much that would've cost but the ward of my husband's ex wife (she a devout TBM) paid for half of her part of a custody evaluation (overall cost $44k - the ward paid $11k). My husband's lawyer who is a TBM was furious that his tithing money might possibly be paying for her to get custody of their child she was abusing.

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 02:33AM

Having a lay clergy who follow their own opinions and treat them as gospel does as much damage to their membership as all the good info online. Well, maybe not as much damage, but certainly more than if they haid trained, professional clergy.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 02:39AM

I agree with the problem of lay clergy. What's worse is that members cannot simply go to a ward with a bishop they like. And members who've never had a problem with their bishops can't imagine some of them being really jerks or abusing their power.

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 02:44AM

yep, it's just insane. It's so hit-or-miss, and the rules are made up, contorted, or ignored accordingly. I'd suggest that LDS, Inc. get a clue, but that would require more PAID positions.

Date: September 19, 2012 05:53PM

If they had paid clergy (a 'bishop' in the Catholic Church has, at least, a master's in divinity) they wouldn't have as much money to pay the rent-a-cops at the Jesus Mall to eject people who don't meet the dress code...

Although it might add consistency, it would also increase culpability. They are interested in either consistency or culpability.

Posted by: Neal A. Maxwell ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 09:25AM

What a tragedy for such a beautiful young woman to throw away her salvation over something as minor as a nose stud!

Date: September 19, 2012 05:47PM

Bet he's glad she didn't have the tattoo removed at the church's expense...

It was just that much more he could give to the Jesus Mall...

Posted by: Chicken'n'backpacks ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 07:12PM

I'm a tattoo's are cool until they get outta control kinda guy, but I must say that nose studs/rings turn me off; I've seen too many beautiful girls (and some guys), that don't need piercings (or even make-up) stick a diamond in their nose or cheek. I'll bet the girl is a very attractive young lady, and why ruin it with what to me often looks like a zit....?

Oh, and stick it to the bish'.....

Posted by: albertasaurus ( )
Date: February 15, 2013 08:14AM

Not me, i love nose piercings. I have no idea why but all it takes is one teeny little stud in a pretty girls nose and all of a sudden i get all weak kneed

Posted by: Sally ( )
Date: September 20, 2012 04:23AM

Btw...don't give us this garbage about being sorry for misleading us on the topic of your post. You were rationalizing...you know...lying for the Lard...just like all good mor(m)ons are taught to do...must be engrained in your character....now, all you need to figure out which Lard you worship.

peace out...sal

Date: September 20, 2012 05:42AM

Of course I'm not sorry. I thought it was funny. Mouthiness and verbosity are both deeply ingrained in me. Learned them at my mama's knee.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2012 05:57AM by ducky333.

Posted by: nathan ( )
Date: February 15, 2013 03:44AM

The bishop deserves hot pepper on his pe....

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: February 15, 2013 07:44AM

Personal happiness/contentedness is inversely correlated with the desire to exercise control over others.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: February 15, 2013 07:53AM

"But Bishop, isn't the bigger problem that these people are staring at my legs? Perverts."

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: February 15, 2013 09:21AM

She should take the money and run. Keep the tattoo, keep the money. Don't ever go back.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: February 15, 2013 09:34AM

(sulus) with their white shirts and ties, but not allow a woman of Native American ancestry to wear a small token of her traditional jewelry, huh? Huh?! HUH???!!!

http://www.laxmagazine.com/college_men/club/2011-12/news/113011_byus_matheson_finds_maturity_during_fiji_mission

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.