Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 06:03PM

(*Editor's note: The subject line has been amended to more accurately reflect the situation)

First, here is a prefatory comment by "MormonThink's" managing editor that he included with the initial news release:

" . . . [J]ust thought you'd like to know the news (below). We are beginning to talk with the press about this, but could really use a big press contact if anyone has one.

"Thanks!

"David."
_____

Now, the actual (and first version of) the news release:

"The LDS Church is taking punitive action against one of its members for something he wrote.

"Last week, on September 11, 13 and 15, David [last name deleted], the managing editor of MormonThink.com posted a series of articles on the political history of the LDS church, as it relates to Mitt Romney’s campaign and Romney’s stubbornness of keeping his tax forms secret as it’s tied with LDS historical policies. As managing editor, David is a life-long, fifth-generation Mormon in good standing.

"Then on September 16, his LDS Bishop, LDS Stake President and two Church executives brought David into [name of state deleted] Mormon Church offices at the [name of city deleted]-based congregation and interrogated him about his writings, telling him 'Cease and desist, Brother [last name deleted].'

"In a letter hastily typed, they scheduled an excommunication “for apostasy” on September 30 at 7:30am, to remove David from the LDS church.

"During the interrogation, LDS leaders chastised David for not publishing his full name and hiding his identity in order to avoid discipline. To the leaders, David insisted that, 'In my heart I believe I am championing truth as I know it as managing editor of MormonThink.'

"The next question from them was: 'Who are the other individuals you work with on MormonThink?'

"They denied that they are on--in their words--'a witch hunt' but they continued demanding that David answer, 'If people are truly interested in truth, as you say they are, then why would they hide their name or who they are?'

"David asked them why now, and how did they come up with his name so fast after posting the articles. They wouldn’t disclose this. He’s since heard that a Mormon apologist tied to the BYU affiliated FAIR alerted leaders in Salt Lake City, with David’s identity."
_____

Background:

David initially contacted me and asked if I could help get him in touch with major media on postings that were was planned for publication on MormonThink.com.

I replied that I would do what I could.

In an effort to acquire that media attention, I initially posted the above press release on RfM, which was soon thereafter seen by a major national news organization. I was contacted by a reporter for that news organization who has during the past year written stories on the Mormon Church and has profiled certain ex-Mormons. (The initial RfM posting was eventually taken down).

The reporter was very interested in this story, so I provided said reporter with David's contact information. Both the reporter and David have since directly confirmed to me that they are in contact with each other.

This is an important story for several reasons:

--Local Mormon Church leaders were informed of David's MormonThink posting by others, whom those leaders refused to identify.

--What was posted on MormonThink.org that led to excommunication plans dealt with Mormon Mitt Romney and Mormon Church political history. I was provided with links that MormonThink was scheduling to post. Here are two of those links (I have chosen not to post another link which was provided to me, given that it would specifically identify the individual who is the subject of the Mormon Church excommunication hearing):

Here are those postable links:

http://www.mormonthink.com/christian.htm

The next one has since been described to me by David as "[a]ctually the article that seemed to piss them off":

http://www.MormonThink.com/politics.htm

--The state in which this Mormon excommunication trial has been scheduled is a critical swing state for Romney's national presidential aspirations (the specific state is purposely not mentioned here in order to protect the identity of the targeted individual).

--Mormon Church headquarters in Salt Lake City, Utah, has been known to forego excommunication proceedings when preliminary plans for them have been publicly leaked.
_____

The repost of the news release in question has been properly authorized for this site.

Mission accomplished. Thank you to those involved.

***FURTHER UPDATE***

This revised and expanded press release was subsequently provided directly to me, via email from the managing editor at "MormonThink.com," with the following explanation. including additional information:

"Steve, here is the latest statement.

"Also note, Jamie has been approved to publish an article with 'Newsweek/Daily Beast.' We've also got request to talk with 'Salon' and Peggy Stack at [the] 'SL Trib.' Also a feeler went to the 'NY Times' from an associate of an editor there.

"I'm feeling overwhelmed at the moment, and can imagine it will get worse. Thanks for your help."

(David further advised me today in a separate communication that he has now been interviewed at some length by the "Newsweek/Daily Beast" reporter, which means national press coverage).

Below is the updated news release (with the added details appearing in the last two graphs):

"Last week, on September 11, 13 and 15, David [name deleted] the managing editor of MormonThink.com posted a series of articles on the political history of the LDS Church, as it relates to Mitt Romney’s campaign and his stubbornness of keeping his tax forms secret.

"As managing editor, David is a life-long, fifth-generation Mormon in good standing.

"Then on September 16, his LDS Bishop, LDS Stake President and two Church executives brought David into [name of state deleted] Mormon Church offices at the Orlando-based congregation and interrogated him about his writings, telling him 'Cease and desist, Brother [last name deleted'.' In a letter they scheduled an excommunication “for apostasy” on September 30 at 7:30am, to remove David from the LDS church.

"During the interrogation, LDS leaders questioned David for not publishing his full name and hiding his identity. To the leaders, David insisted that, 'In my heart I believe I am championing truth as I know it as managing editor of MormonThink.'

"The next question from them was: 'Who are the other individuals you work with on MormonThink?' They denied that they are on--in their word--'a witch hunt' but they continued demanding that David answer, 'If people are truly interested in truth, as you say they are, then why would they hide their name or who they are?'

"Many of us have seen the harm openly raising doubts can cause with family, friends and community in the Mormon culture. David asked them why now, and how did they come up with his name so fast after posting the articles. They would only say they were 'inspired.' He’s since heard that a Mormon apologist tied to the BYU affiliated FAIR alerted leaders in Salt Lake City, with David’s identity.

"The quick action is being kept quiet by the LDS Church. Despite the harm it may cause him with his family and friends, David has decided that the public should be aware of what is happening within the walls of the Mormon Church to those that dissent during this 'Mormon Moment.'"

Edited 37 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2012 11:26PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 06:31PM

So, Steve, I am confused. Is David going to go public with this? And if so, specifically, how can we support him?

Date: September 19, 2012 06:34PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2012 06:38PM by steve benson.

Posted by: CTRringturnsmyfingergreen ( )

I'm confused. What is the church pissed off about? I read through the link and don't see any opinions from David, simply references to scriptures and what appear to be true statements. It seems like pretty vanilla stuff.

Posted by: Madison40 ( )

Steve,

Please keep us posted. I am just appalled by what the LDS church is doing to Mormon Think. Reading Mormon Think helped me leave the church.

Posted by: SuperBigGulp ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 06:42PM

Wow...sucks to be David.

The MormonThink guys need to realize that they cannot win. They WILL lose. The church has control of its membership, not them. The employment-at-will rules apply just like any other company in America. Sounds like the church has sniffed out a secret little nonbelieving malitia. They will get fired (insert forced to resign or excommunicated), and rightly so.

At the end of the day, the church will go on just fine without them. But MormonThink is weakened because they cannot no longer play the "Trust in us, we're nonbiased active church members" card. They will become disgruntled exmos hosting another anti-mormon site, and a degree of credibility is lost. Dave's best option is to resign immediately. Better to resign from your job versus getting fired.

Hate to say it, but I support the church in this matter. Hey..I love MormonThink.com, but as far as their church membership goes, the MT guys represent a cancer to the LDS belief system and they need to quit or be booted. It's the church's rules to play by, no theirs.

Date: September 19, 2012 06:45PM

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2012 06:45PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 20, 2012 12:17AM

And I disagree that LDS Inc is right to do this. They have the right to do it. THat doesn't make it a good idea.

And Mittens is already got a reputation as uncaring and authoritarian. If a Mormon excommunication makes the news, it will help cement that image. Most people find the whole concept of excommunication sooo 15th century. LDS Inc and Mittens both have much to lose, and precious few feet left to shoot themselves in.

Posted by: SuperBigGulp ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 06:51PM

True Steve, but David knew what when he signed on the line which is dotted...

Date: September 19, 2012 06:52PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2012 06:52PM by steve benson.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 06:58PM

Am I the only one smoking crack?

It appears things are going as planned. Or am I not supposed to say that and nobody told me?

Date: September 19, 2012 06:59PM

Posted by: alx71ut ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 07:06PM

I wonder if someone started a website called MormonNonThinking and have it share all sorts of wonderful testimonies on why Mormons should NOT think. Then this site could be mocked by all the people in the world who think its silly that Mormons DON'T REALLY think. I'd suggest http://www.lds-mormon.com/follow.shtml as a good place for material to get started. BTW the original webmaster for lds-mormon.com got excommunicated by LDS inc. for having that website. He failed to attend his trial because he already had a previously scheduled family outing to a Major League baseball game. In absentia the Stake Presidency and High Council ex'ed his a**.

Posted by: justrob ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 07:08PM

Lemme know when/how to help.

I am a programmer, and am willing to volunteer my services if you need them, FYI.

Posted by: family first can't log in ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 07:34PM

I posted a link to this thread on my facebook sooooooooooo

bump

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 07:38PM

They should keep the site up and run it as former members after they are exe'd. Members who go there will still go there for information.
I bet there will be some highly disturbed members who visit the site that they were exe'd for providing information.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2012 07:39PM by suckafoo.

Posted by: Nancy Rigdon ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 07:41PM

Or, have other NOMs, active mormons with doubts, etc take over management of the site. That way they can still claim the site is managed by active mormons.

Whatever happens, the site MUST continue!

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 07:54PM

They are quoted as follows:

"The next question from them was: 'Who are the other individuals you work with on MormonThink?' They denied that they are on--in their word--'a witch hunt' but they continued demanding that David answer, 'If people are truly interested in truth, as you say they are, then why would they hide their name or who they are?'

The MormonThink guys are just following the example of the Prophet Joseph and his close associates, who used phony names in the early editions of the Doctrine and Covenants. Why? TO HIDE THEIR IDENTITY! (See, e.g., D&C 103:22)

I guess Joe and his pals (according to this reasoning) were not "truly interested in truth."

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 08:12PM

You rock, Steve!

Bless you, David. Hang in there.

"The truth will set you free."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2012 08:12PM by summer.

Posted by: nejulie ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 08:14PM

ready willing and able to help in a Spartacus sort of way.

I am Spartacus.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 08:17PM

Years ago, (It had to be after 1987 because thats when Morrison was made GA) one of the MORmON ASSpostHOLES and MORmON GA ALexander Morrison decided to have a press conference. They had it on LDS Inc property on temple Square, no less. They got the media there and then spouted off their very political views, that happened to run very much against mine, and many MORmON members for that matter. they concluded by saying that they were speaking as regular concerned people and not officially as leaders of the MORmON church. No body would have cared who these dumb asses were except for their position with LDS INC, which they used for publicity sake and then stated that they were speaking as regular ppl and not as church leaders. Well that sounds like double talk BS to me, but since how that the way they want to operate then fine:

I think Joe SMith was criminal. I think Brigham young was a criminal. I think Gordon Hinckley was criminal. I think ALexander Morrison is a cry baby puss ball on two legs. But I refuse to be disciplined for stating my opinion on those matters because I am speaking as a regular person, NOT as an official member of the POS MORmON church (where I really am still on the membership rolls).

If LDS inc does n't like my regular guy comments,then they can shove themselves up their own ass..... but they will never be able to do it far enough to suit me.

yes, all the *respect* and *honesty* that I now use to deal with LDS inc was taught to me by MORmONISM. I hope they enjoy the results of their MORmON example! maybe some of the ppl at MT could learn some lessons from their TWO FACED LYING POS MORmON leaders on how speaking out really works.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 08:31PM

Did they issue David with a legal Cease and Desist order? Did he write something untrue, or just something the church didn't like?

When I saw this statement, "David asked them why now, and how did they come up with his name so fast after posting the articles. They would only say they were 'inspired.'", I was thinking did the god hotline in the SLC temple ring and god rat this guy out?

Personally, I think this type of stuff just makes the church look more like a cult.

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 09:24PM

It is starting to make sense...

They weren't so much worried about the temple stuff after all, it was damage to Romney that was the problem. MT was presenting accurate, balanced, referenced information. And it had credibility because it was presented by members in good standing.

Anointed one can be painted as one disgruntled member, for example. MT are just too dangerous... to Romney.

Crickey dick!

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 09:49PM

---> it was damage to Romney that was the problem <---

Without a doubt; without a doubt.

The LDS leadership are wetting their pants in anticipation of Prince Romney claiming the Oval Office and wetting their pants in fear that the Exalted Prince will be dumped on his ass just outside the door to the White House.

A whole lot of pants-wetting going on ...

Posted by: templeendumbed ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 11:57PM

3X Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ---> it was damage to Romney that was the problem
> <---
>
>
>
> Without a doubt; without a doubt.
>
> The LDS leadership are wetting their pants in
> anticipation of Prince Romney claiming the Oval
> Office and wetting their pants in fear that the
> Exalted Prince will be dumped on his ass just
> outside the door to the White House.
>
> A whole lot of pants-wetting going on ...

I disagree, I think the cob sees that it is lost and want to stave off any future losses of members. Mittens is a gaffaholic and has his arguments too rooted in a mythology that too many americans aren't buying anymore. These excomms will go as planned because mittens can't be saved but PR efforts and future tithe payers can be saved.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 09:45PM

Tscc will fold until after election. Court will be cancelled. I hope that doesn't throw a wrench in this.

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 10:27PM

this confirms what I know about the church.

Talk about shooting themselves in the foot

Posted by: freckles ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 10:35PM

LOL...."a whole lot of pants-wetting going on" Priceless...
I wonder how the voters would feel if Obama had sworn the same oaths to Wright and his church that Mitt has to the LDS church?

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 10:53PM

freckles Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> LOL...."a whole lot of pants-wetting going on"
> Priceless...

And not in a good way.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.