Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: moira ( )
Date: September 20, 2012 02:25PM

I wonder how many of the people (GA's) who regularly lie about any and all things Mormon have had (or the promise of) their "Calling and Election Made Sure." Am I correct in that anyone who has had a Second Anointing has a free ride to the Celestial Kingdom no matter what they continue to do in this life?

I so want to ask TBM members of my family if they know about Second Anointings. Maybe someday.

Moira

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: September 20, 2012 02:28PM

As I understood it, he seemed to suggest that all GA's have had such.

He also seemed to think it was implied that he would be meeting Jesus.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2012 02:29PM by Twinker.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: September 20, 2012 02:30PM

I would be surprised if there are any GAs who have not received their Second Anointing.

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: September 20, 2012 02:49PM

I guess I don't understand the fascination over the second annointing thing-a-ma-bob. It is just another made up ceremony given to the over-ambitious Mormons who are wealthy and make GA.

It means nothing. And Jesus is ALWAYS a no-show.

Yawn...

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: September 20, 2012 02:55PM

I didn't either and I was never Mormon.

Then I listened to Anointed One's interview with John Dehlin. It blew my mind. You should check it out.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: September 20, 2012 03:08PM

I think the fascination is that is kept a secret from members of the church.

The other fascination is the automatic heaven no matter what you do aspect of it.

Posted by: Anonski ( )
Date: September 20, 2012 02:54PM

All the GA's have I would guess. The question is whether most, if not all, regional reps, many SP's, some venerable Bishop's, some stake patriarchs, many mission and temple prez, etc.

I always thought it would be fun as a practical joke to send a form letter to the pompous TBM's in the stake, inviting them to the temple for a special session with Elder so and so AND in the letter tell them to tell no one of this most sacred event. Make it like 4:00AM on a Sunday morning. When they all show up, they'd be looking for Elder So and So. Hee hee. JHC, I am a devil.

Date: September 20, 2012 03:21PM

Now that would be funny!

Date: September 20, 2012 03:23PM

I did listen to the description by Tom Bell. I listened to that interview with Dehlin and him also. I'm still just ho-hummed by the whole thing. You know they can make up any number of ceremonies and in the end they are just people dressed up in silky robes and baker's hats prancing around the inside of a multi-zillion dollar building. I just don't care. But it must be interesting to others.

Posted by: justrob ( )
Date: September 20, 2012 03:29PM

Jeff Holland talked to us about the 2nd anointing on my mission.

His take on it (for whatever that is worth) was that it is just like any other ordinance.

So just because you were sealed to your wife in the temple, doesn't mean you will get that blessing... it just means you have had the ordinance.

He said something very similar to, "Like any other ordinance, it will only be legitimized when ratified by the holy spirit of promise. He who actualizes all ordinances will confirm the 2nd anointing if duly merited."

So basically- the 2nd anointing means nothing, unless the HG says "yup, this guy really merits is, and wont screw up ever."

So what is the point to doing it now rather than just waiting for their day of judgement? No effing clue.

Posted by: moira ( )
Date: September 20, 2012 03:47PM

Interesting. I really thought it was a "free cab ride to the top" (borrowing from SLCabbie). I would speculate that influential (rich) members are also invited to this secret initiation. Anything to make people feel more special to keep the tithing coming in. I also listened to Anointed One's riveting interview. I don't think that Huntsman would have let Holland borrow his jet to go perform a 2nd anointing that Huntsman didn't already have.

Posted by: justrob ( )
Date: September 20, 2012 03:59PM

Again from Holland (I have to throw that disclaimer in there)

He talked about Baptism, and said something like "Why do we even have a baptism? Couldn't an omnipotent god save his children without a silly ceremony? of course he could. So why do we do it? The purpose is to provide a moment of change in a person's mind. Sure, you may say you will now be LDS, but over time that commitment fades. Having a ceremony provides a special memory that you can reference later."

I don't remember totally what he was talking about, but basically it helps us remember and increases our sense of loyalty because we did something "out of the ordinary."

I'm sure the 2nd anointing is similar. You got to do something "special." It's a club mentality, and it increases loyalty.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: September 20, 2012 03:54PM

I think the significance of the Second Anointing is that the recipient is told from thence forward they can do anything they want and their salvation is secure.

It would be essential to know this before they ask you to lie, cheat and steal from members.

Anagrammy

Posted by: diableavecargent ( )
Date: September 20, 2012 04:04PM

So the more like unto a son of a bitch the member is, the higher the likelihood is that the member has gone through this?

Here is the 4th verse of "the spirit of fire":

We’ll wash and be wash’d, and with oil be anointed
Withal not omitting the washing of feet:
For he that receiveth his PENNY appointed,
Must surely be clean at the harvest of wheat.

I used to be interested in this ordinance. I think Jesus would appear to folks that have this done. Seems like it would be such a let down. I guess now all I can get is the call and unelection made sure. Which works too.

Posted by: lurker 1 ( )
Date: September 20, 2012 04:14PM

I have read about the second anointing here and in other locations and this is what it seems like to me. It seems the second anointing in TSCC is about the same thing as being saved in most other Christian religions. A real good guy that works for me has been "saved" and he knows that he will be returning to live with God after he dies. He is truly good and from what I see doesn't do too much that is wrong but if he does anything that is wrong, he is convinced it will automatically be forgiven because he has been saved. Sounds to me like having your calling an election made sure in the TSCC is pretty close to being saved in most other Christian religions. Anyway, from what I read this is what it seems like.

By the way, the above must be true because without even realizing I had done it, it appears to be a Chiasma.

Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: September 20, 2012 04:21PM

Lurker 1, I was about to say that very thing! Someone made the argument that if their calling and election was made sure, they could do whatever they wanted and wouldn't need to live the "gospel". It reminded me of the arguments I have heard from TBM's against other churches being saved by grace instead of works. So if we work really hard and be good little kiddies and make lots of money so the brethren want our inheritance, we can receive the second anointing and become just like the Christians we used to look down on.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.