Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: September 22, 2012 03:05PM

Contrary to the wild-eyed cries of paranoid Mormon apologists, I didn't draft account of events with "anti-Mormon" friends on this site; I wrote my own accounts of events. Nor did I help "draft" any media articles; I talked to inquiring reporters who contacted me about David's situation, told them what I knew and they then wrote their own articles.

What I did do was compose (and post on RfM) detailed, step-by-step explanations of how this story ended up receiving national exposure--precipitated as it was by David Twede initially contacting me off-board and asking me to help him acquire media coverage about posts being planned for MormonThink dealing with, among other topics, LDS Church political history (and how that history might influence a Romney presidency), along with Romney's non-Christian Mormon view of God.

When Mormonism's snooper-troopers at FAIR tipped off the Mormon Church's Salt Lake City HQ about those posts, excommunication actions against David Twede were quickly organized on the local level by Mormon Church operatives in Orlando, Florida.

At that point, David again contacted me and provided me a press release detailing what he had experienced at the hands of local Florida Mormon Church officials who were bringing him up on "apostacy" charges for his MormonThink postings.

The rest, as they say, is history.

My great "sin" was to go public with David's press release on RfM, where Sue Emmett of the Ex-Mormon Foundation saw it and then contacted "Daily Beast" about it--which led to media inquiries of me from reporters at the "Daily Beast" and, after that, "Salon."

Other media outlets subsequently observed the growing coverage and picked up the story themselves, including the Huffington Post, the Orlando Sentinel, the Salt Lake Tribune, the Deseret News and now the New York Times (none of the latter, by the way, which contacted me directly but, instead, put their own reporters on the story and/or made contact with David).

While David was talking with various media, I was keeping him abreast of efforts by media outlets to make contact with him, as they were reaching out to me, asking me how to get hold of David. As the story continued to unfold, I updated my so-called "drafts" of events by continung to report them on RfM.

This story has taken on its own life and has grown its own legs, as Mormon apologists and their nervous-nellie Church have grown more anxious.

I simply made the core information about MormonThink posts and David's excommunication court available to national media because David asked me to.

Glad to have obliged. :)

Edited 13 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2012 04:56PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: September 22, 2012 03:23PM

Why the sympathy? The local leaders may need the squirm factor to push them to get out of the mess themselves and leave TSCC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2012 03:23PM by lostinutah.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: September 22, 2012 03:31PM

Because it's the same basic thing, only a few hundred years later and without the threat of death. Emphasis on "a few hundred years later."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2012 03:33PM by munchybotaz.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: September 22, 2012 03:39PM

the second they obeyed intructions from SLC and summoned Mr. Twede to their ridiculous inquisition.

Posted by: josephsmyth ( )
Date: September 22, 2012 04:13PM

Hey Mitt,
Does the name, Evan Mecham, mean anything to you?
Haha
Love to see you make those bastards squirm!

Posted by: greenkat ( )
Date: September 22, 2012 04:46PM

Exciting that you are credible and have contacts to let the Momo bullies get it right back at them!
Keep it up.

Posted by: Madison40 ( )
Date: September 22, 2012 04:47PM

It just so shows how brain washed these people are that they can't see the truth or think for themselves

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.