Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jw the inquizzinator ( )
Date: September 22, 2012 10:32PM

From the FAIR website (I'm NOT making this up, Google it for youself)

"The current president of FAIR is Scott Gordon. The position of president, as all other positions in FAIR is an unpaid, volunteer position. He certainly wasn’t chosen because of his intelligence, apologetic skills or writing abilities. The current theory is the other members of FAIR were smart enough to know they didn’t want to be president and he wasn’t that bright...."

Tongue in cheek.....or.....??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: September 22, 2012 10:43PM

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: September 22, 2012 11:01PM

On their MDD board, they have a tab for 'hit pieces' that appeared after the Dehlin flap. It is just possible someone there has an actual sense of humor.

Posted by: Youngandfree ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 03:22AM

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 11:24AM

that trying to swallow the false humility of a pompous blowhard.

Pardon me while I try to wash that away with some fine Columbian coffee...

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 07:23PM

I've done a little reading on Gordon,

He is a teacher of Business and Technology at Shasta College in Redding, CA, which is located, conveniently, right across the street from the LDS Institute where FAIR is housed.

Gordon seems a typical LDS Lemming. He fills a lot of positions within the morg. He acts like a shill when he's playing 'morg' - and if you read his resume, he's a pretty active shill: Blacklds, FAIR, Meridian, etc.

Reading about the man, he seems to think his position is something like chair of a department at an Ivy League school. He seems pretty impressed with himself.

I can't imagine, given the amount of time his church 'callings' take up, how he has time for teaching. He, also, apparently, does, or did, sit on the board of the Redding Elementary School District. If he has a family, they probably only know him as the guy that comes to their house after sacrament for a hour, yells at them and then leaves.

In my opinion, Shasta College is not a stellar institution. In relation to the institutions I have attended in the US and Australia, I would put it dead last in academics of any college I've experienced.

Redding is not a big morg town. Simpson College, (an institution I think is run by the Evangelical Free Church), is in Redding, also.

Note: Having lived in Redding and having dealt with Shasta College, I could not be impressed less by either. When I was there, I always thought it was wonderfully coincidental how the morg facilities were just across the street from the dorms... This didn't really improve my opinion of either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2012 07:39PM by John_Lyle.

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 07:42PM

Date: September 24, 2012 08:55PM

They'll make up a 'keyboarding class' for him at YBU.

In addition to his stake janitorial duties...

Date: September 25, 2012 11:24PM

Oh, I checked, he gave $250 to Romney's campaign...

Posted by: Nancy Rigdon ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 08:07PM

"He certainly wasn’t chosen because of his intelligence"

Or his gift of inspiration.

He clearly didn't a clue at the backlash his actions would cause. Maybe his pride got in the way. :)

I wonder if he regrets outing Twede now.

Posted by: alx71ut ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 09:01PM

IMO FAIR is almost as successful as RfM at helping people get out of the church. All this criticism of FAIR might cause them to go out of business. And then we'll see retention rates in the church go up. I suppose you all have the "free agency" to rip on FAIR all you want. But keep in mind that if you rip on them too much they'll go the way of FARMS. Things just haven't worked out to well for these F-word apologetics groups.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 09:28PM

That is a very good observation.

Many newbies on RfM remark that they tried to strengthen their testimony by reading apologetic materials, and they were either convinced that the LDS church was built on falsities, or the pompous attitudes of the people writing apologetic material was such a turn-off that they did not want to be associated with such arrogance.

If you watch any of the daytime TV shows like Dr. Phil, usually the guest who is getting skewered ends up getting more and more arrogant as they get backed in to a corner. Witness Lindsay Lohan's mother, Dina, making fun of Dr. Phil's shoes and tie (I heard the clip on a morning radio show).
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/18/dina-lohan-dr-phil_n_1893773.html

T-Bone

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 10:34PM

Exactly.
FAIR opened my eyes and pushed me out the door.
Hey, thanks fair guys!
Slow clap.

Date: September 24, 2012 09:37PM

John-Lyle posts:

"LDS Institute where FAIR is housed."

I'm so glad

"FAIR is not owned, controlled by or affiliated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 09:41PM

Yeah, there's no connection between the two at all.

Posted by: Darksparks ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 08:42AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2012 08:44AM by darksparks.

Posted by: Nancy Rigdon ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 10:22PM

If I were the church, I wouldn't claim FAIR either.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: September 25, 2012 05:05AM

FAIR chair John Lynch has been all over "The Daily Beast" reader forum the last few days eviscerating David Twede (calling him a manipulated liar), myself (whom he compared to Osama Bin Laden) and any and all others who have dared defend Twede against the Mormon Church's inquisitional haul-up of Twede by Cult yes-men in Florida.

As of this posting, however, an interesting development seems to have occured regarding the current whereabouts of Lynch. He has apparently suddenly vanished--like the phony gold plates--from "The Daily Beast" site, leading one relieved poster to remark:

“It is wonderful that JohnL [Lynch's handle intended to keep his FAIR connection a Mormon-temple secret] has stopped posting his vitriolic and false statements about David Twede's Excommunication by the lofty Mormon elders, who direct him to action. I doubt he will post here again.”

(posted by “Thomasina,” in reader “Comments” section, “Mormons Want to Excommunicate Romney Critic: After writing negative articles about the Republican candidate, the managing editor of MormonThink.com says he faces excommunication. Is the Church on a witch hunt?,” by Jamie Reno, “The Daily Beast,” 21 September 2012, at:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/09/21/mormons-want-to-excommunicate-romney-critic.html)

What a terrible-twosome team John Lynch and Scott Gordon make. Absent or not, it's evident that Gordon, like Lynch, is a dirty player--as seen in his false-faced confessional to the "New York Times" regarding his rat-out role in the run-up to the Twede kangaroo court:

“Scott Gordon, president of the Foundation for Apologetic Information and Research, an organization in Redding, Calif., that defends Mormon theology, said that he had forwarded materials posted by Mr. Twede to church officials in Salt Lake City. 'It has nothing to do with Romney,' Mr. Gordon said. 'I know members very high up in the church who are voting for Obama. It’s about him posting on a blog that he was actively in there trying to subvert people’s beliefs in the L.D.S. Church,”Mr. Gordon said . . . . “

(“Editor of Web Site May Face Mormon Excommunication,” by LAURIE GOODSTEIN, “New York Times,” 21 September 2012, at: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/22/us/web-site-editor-may-face-mormon-excommunication.html?_r=0)

The Lynch/Gordon scorched-earth policy in dealing with Mormonism's critics hardly squares with the fairy-tale image that FAIR has concocted for itself. Witness FAIR's description of a supposed goodwill tour by Lunatic Lynch and his trusty sidekick, Scott the Snitch. A BYU website, serving as the platform for a 2001 FAIR news update, noted and quoted the following about the Lynch/Gordon meet-'n-greet exercise in sweet:

"Leaders of . . . FAIR were at BYU on Jan. 16 and 17 in an effort to expand their organization.

"FAIR is an organization devoted to defending criticism of doctrine, practices and beliefs of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

"During their visit, President Scott Gordon and Chairman John Lynch, both from California, made plans for an upcoming FAIR convention in Utah Valley this August and met with BYU faculty members.

"They also expressed a desire for articles submitted by BYU faculty, graduate and undergraduate students. . . .

"'FAIR looks to affirm faith, not to destroy detractors,' Lynch said. 'We want to be a resource for people to find answers.'”

("Leaders of FAIR Organization Seek BYU Involvement," by Kathryn Richard , NewsNet staff writer, "BYU NewsNet: Brigham Young University,"18 January 2001)
_____

Lying for the Lynch. Take a beastly bow, you two.

Edited 14 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2012 09:16AM by steve benson.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: September 25, 2012 06:29AM

Typical Mos. They want to look and sound virtuous, but they can't cover the smell...

Date: September 25, 2012 09:20AM

steve benson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Lynch/Gordon scorched-earth policy in dealing
> with Mormonism's critics hardly squares with the
> fairy-tale image that FAIR has concocted for
> itself.

Or that mormon.org & "And I'm A Mormon" paints for itself

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 12:46PM

The've helped countless people find answers.

They should add, "We'd like to help people out."

Posted by: smithscars ( )
Date: September 25, 2012 09:29AM

Here's an Aug 2011 article with a picture of him about the "Mormon Defense League" telling how they were planning their current actions.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700168258/Mormon-Defense-League-launched.html?pg=all

"We hope to be a resource for journalists," said Scott Gordon, president of FAIR since 2001, "Religion writers tend to do a good job. Problems come when you get political writers or sports writers who are not as familiar with the nuances of the religion. So when you get a Mitt Romney, Jon Huntsman or a Harry Reid, and someone makes a comment, the journalist may unknowingly pass on something that Mormons consider to be very bigoted, malicious or just inaccurate."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2012 09:30AM by smithscars.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 09:36AM

And if you click on the MDL.org link, you end up at...

Mormon Voices

which is stuffed so full of nonsense that I'm tempted to say they should have kept their Mormon mouths shut...

Date: September 26, 2012 12:24PM

"The key, Williams said, is for reporters to let churches tell their own stories."

I was reading in Salon.com or slate.com, I can't remember which, that reporters are increasingly being required to vette what they've written, including "quotes", before sources will allow interviews to be published...

This is the same thing. "We'll tell you what to print, you print it. Or, we'll sic Gordo on you and go pout in the corner."

The concept that any legitimate news agency would pay attention to a guy who teaches keyboarding at an obscure jr. college is ludicrous.

On the other hand, one has to wonder if the morg pays for his travel between Redding and SLC or it he 'volunteers' the cost of his own travel expenses, (and does it count towards tithing?)

Date: September 26, 2012 12:40PM

John_Lyle Wrote:
> "The key, Williams said, is for reporters to let
> churches tell their own stories."

The key is to let everyone tell their own stories including, exmo, NOM's, Jack Mo, never MO's.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 02:42PM

As a member of Mormon Voices email alerts, I find it particularly telling that they haven't sent out the troops to defend the church in Twede's case.

They've rallied the MV squad to comment on many articles, but never never Twede and Mormonthink.

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 05:51PM

dogblogger Wrote:
> As a member of Mormon Voices email alerts, I find
> it particularly telling that they haven't sent out
> the troops to defend the church in Twede's case.
>
> They've rallied the MV squad to comment on many
> articles, but never never Twede and Mormonthink.

They are afraid, very afraid of the truth. They will do whatever they can to keep the public from learning about things like the BofA. If they had good answers, they would publish them in the public Internet newspapers - they don't so they try to steer all conversations about the church away from them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2012 05:52PM by mormonthinker.

Posted by: sweet_pete ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 07:05PM

Not sure if it is his wife but Sherri Gordon also donated to Prop 8 from Redding, CA:

http://projects.latimes.com/prop8/donation/89379/

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 07:35PM

jw the inquizzinator Wrote:
> From the FAIR website (I'm NOT making this up,
> Google it for youself)
>
> "The current president of FAIR is Scott Gordon.
> The position of president, as all other positions
> in FAIR is an unpaid, volunteer position. He
> certainly wasn’t chosen because of his
> intelligence, apologetic skills or writing
> abilities. The current theory is the other members
> of FAIR were smart enough to know they didn’t
> want to be president and he wasn’t that
> bright...."
>
> Tongue in cheek.....or.....??

He wrote that himself, I'd think...

Posted by: anon4areason ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 07:53PM

FAIR is housed right in an LDS Institute building??? Wow. Then they've been lying all along!

Please post pictures of their HQ in that building, and we can spread the word!!!!! (Or, anyway, the photos!)

Date: September 27, 2012 10:34PM

Search for LDS Institute, Shasta College, Redding, Shasta County, California in sat view on Google Maps...

The 'Institute' is just across the Old Oregon Trail from the dorms at Shasta College...

If you follow the road a little further north, there used to be some really good mountain biking trails there...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2012 10:35PM by John_Lyle.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 08:54PM

I didn't know that FAIR was located in north California. They should hie to Deseret. They'll spoil my state's reputation for being a godless and hedonistic paradise.

Date: September 27, 2012 10:39PM

I think they promised Gordon and Lynch they would get them jobs as janitors at YBU, if they took the flack for all this...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.