Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Youngandfree ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 12:46AM

I converted a friend TBM into an agnostic who disbelieves in mormonism but it toke 1 year. He would listen to my reasoning and we would politely debate for months. Within a year he decided I was correct after finding my reasons were true.

What are your experiences?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jude ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 03:23AM

Deliberate conversion? A few when I first became inactive. Some of it was staged my morg would send 'rejects' to the apostates to educate so the individuals could go away on thier own accord.

I was fine with it until a mish girl almost micarried on my door step. Anyone who let her knock on doors in that condition I have no time for at all.

My biggest sucess rate came from the fact I left.

Convert too many morgs get black listed for a few months. I do enjoy those times. I'm black listed right now and lovin' it.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 03:58AM

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 10:14AM

And I don't feel any less a human for the lack of it.

Posted by: ragingphoenix ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 10:28AM

I've gotten a couple messages on the babycenter board basically saying that while they had doubts before, something I posted pushed them over to disbelief in TSCC.

Posted by: Just Browsing ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 10:38AM

Why we incurred the wrath of the Sith Overlords (the top 15 ) was because we were all SOOO TBM, therefore we hald a lot of credibility with the local members, who could not believe why we were thrown out just for telling the truth. (Presenting Journal of Discourses in Sunday School and Priesthood lessons didn't help any)

It led to people resigning from their callings. Stake High Councilmen saying our court was fixed and that they never wanted to serve on another court again. Doctrinal explosions of epic proportions caused aftershocks right across the Stake..People left and people went inactive within months ..

It took a member of the Quorum of the 12 to pacify the situation..

JB

Posted by: almostgone ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 11:40AM

Just Browsing:

I would have loved to have been there when that happened. Then my DW might have finally gotten a clue.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 10:41AM

No, but unfortunately I re-converted an ex-Mormon, before I was one. I sure do regret that now. He's still back in the Church. Dragged his non-Mormon wife into it too.

Posted by: notsurewhattothink ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 10:46AM

I deconverted my fiance, and that has to be the most valuable "convert" to me so far.

Unfortunately, my converts from my mission are still active...

Posted by: puff the magic dragon ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 12:45PM

Yes!!!!! Three people. Well...more if you count my children. Yeah!

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 12:59PM

My husband and two children.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 01:00PM

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 02:14PM

Probably not...but I introduced a few bishop's & HC's sons to the ways of malted beverages and the good life....most chose to be good Mormon boys....oh, well....

Ron Burr

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 02:24PM

Yes. All my children and anyone who is interested in truth.

You have been out a year? I thought your deconversion was fairly recent, based on your burst of curiosity about apostate thoughts.

BTW, are you into linguistics at BYU?

Anagrammy

Date: September 23, 2012 02:42PM

If it wasn't me I apologize but it was me :)

I eventually changed the mind of a TBM friend after a year. I deconverted myself at age 15 and resigned on my 18th birthday which was recent. I'm interested in apostate thoughts because they are amusing seeing as I know just about none at all in person. Plus people like to talk about themselves and I'm interested in what everyone here has to say. No, I'm not at BYU; but, I am in a weighted dual enrollment english class now and some AP courses in my final year of high school. I am college bound but thats that's personal. Though I sure as heck won't attend BYU and I do like linguistics.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 02:55PM

You might enjoy David Eddington's site - check out the analysis he did about why/how young Utah women started dropping the t's,as in "Moun(t)en."

He also includes some interesting resources about linguistics jobs and his personal page has links for how to answer tough church questions.

All grist for your mill!

Anagrammy

Date: September 23, 2012 03:18PM

Thank you very much, I'll give him a look.

Posted by: missguided ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 03:20PM

My best friend decoverted me :) Still working on my family

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.