Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 10:34AM

I've kind of stopped paying attention to the artificial self-aggrandizing pomp going on in Zion, but my mother just called, and she wanted to know if we (my family) had white handkerchiefs for today’s big event--whatever the hell that event is. I didn't ask.

I’m not going obviously, but I am curious. What's going down? What are they dedicating in Happy Valley today?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 10:37AM

Ask your Mom! ;o)

Date: September 23, 2012 10:43AM

That would probably end badly :-/

I'm sure that's why you said it.

Date: September 23, 2012 10:49AM

Obviously. Otherwise you would have asked her in the first place. :D

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 10:37AM

Just be thankful that mormons are not allowed to have vuvuzelas.

Posted by: mostcorrectedbook ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 10:48AM

brigham city temple dedication.

Date: September 23, 2012 10:51AM

I was a TBM until a couple of months ago, but I have no idea why one would need white handkerchiefs for a dedication. Man in Black, if you didn't have any to share, you could suggest she run out and buy some. The Lord would forgive her trespass, after all it's for a temple dedication.

Date: September 23, 2012 11:03AM

Well yes, I've done this before. Twice actually. I'm just not sure what is being dedicated.

Thanks Lulu.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 10:53AM

You'd really stand out. :)

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 10:55AM

They're going to surrender?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 11:00AM

My daughter is attending.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 11:04AM

I went to one expecting it to be this big grand festive celebration.

<<<...B...I...G......O...L...D......Y...A...W...N...E...R...>>>

The worst funeral I ever went to was more festive than that temple dedication.

Posted by: almostgone ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 11:36AM

Totally agree GAWD. Extremely boring and nothing spiritual at all. Especially nothing like what was written in the D&C when they did it.

Posted by: The other Sofia ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 02:12PM

Video on YouTube of Mitt (or any Mormons) doing this would be just great for his campaign and for this Mormon Moment... just saying. LOL

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 02:20PM

Beats the hell out of me?

Ron Burr

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 02:33PM

They showed some celebration yesterday on the news...kids in pioneer get-up, some train stuff signifying the golden spike thing, hats flying up in the air...good grief it looked so stupid like it was the greatest thing to ever happen in UT.

I hear good old Boyd is the one doing the dedicating cause he grew up in Brigham City...yikes!

Posted by: Particles of Faith ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 02:46PM

I remember just after I joined TSCC I heard about temple dedications. The only picture I could conjure up in my head was SWK standing at the corner of the temple (outside) with a big crowd around him smashing a bottle of red wine. I guess that was an early indication of where I'd end up.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 03:15PM

We went to the broadcast of a temple dedication years ago, when I had decided Mormonism was a fraud but DH hadn't and no one knew we had any questions. I love the Hosannah Shout because after that, the kids believed anything I said about Mormonism being weird. They later confessed that they both wondered when they saw the Hosannah Shout, if we were in a cult - that it had completely freaked them out. I was more freaked out by the talks before hand because one of the GA's said something that made him look like an idiot and the pictures of the inside of the temple, seeing the extravagance and waste, made me sick. But I survived, thanks to a Venti Starbucks beforehand.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2012 03:15PM by CA girl.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 03:43PM

...are s'posed to bring a white hankie. You know how hard they are to find? My mom hadda go all over the place to find one for my dad.

Yeah, he's one a them satanic Masons. Only he never went to no meetings or nuthin because of his work schedule, now that he's retired he just ain't interested.

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 03:58PM

Hard to find? I thought there packages of them in any men's wear section of any big box store. Sure, they're not pretty and lacy, but they're white handkerchiefs!

Posted by: moonbeam ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 04:06PM

Does this happen indoors? I can't seem to find any pictures (other than one very old one I can't really make out).

Posted by: Lettucegodown ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 04:18PM

The crusty old bastard Boyd KKK Packer spoke at the second session. He even managed to get in a "marriage is between a man and a woman" jab. Whatever... He is so old and irrelevant, hopefully the youth of today will pay no mind to his cantankerous spewings. The rest of the meeting was just boring and rehashing of the now stale "go to the temple" beat down. Oh, I almost forgot, Boyd did say that the man is the penisholder in the home and his barefoot wife is his handmaiden. Hahahaha... What an old fart. So detached from the real world....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.