Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: September 25, 2012 01:34PM

Do seminary teachers count as G.A.s?

I was going to say that the ones who possess a degree went the way of the Dodo bird, extinct, but then I realized they never really existed in the first place.

Expertise in theology is for other churches.

Expertise in mormon theology is for RFM.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 25, 2012 02:58PM

How about degrees in business? Who really runs this multi-billion dollar enterprise? Surely not the 15 geezers at the top? Anybody know?

Ron Burr

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: September 25, 2012 03:46PM

Well, I don't think there are degrees in theology at BYU. You can take classes in "ancient scriptures" or stuff like that, but I don't think there is a divinity degree. Obviously the GAs are selected based on their business accumen. Because that is what they need. I don't think any of them are much in the way of real deal scriptorians. Maybe Holland, but he just seems like a Dodo bird to me...

Posted by: slatheredtwice ( )
Date: September 25, 2012 04:24PM

James E. Talmadge was probably the only scholar they could claim for many years. However, I think his degree was in Law, not Divinity.

I have a certificate of advances studies from the Institutes of Religion. Maybe I should offer my services. Oh, that's not the same thing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2012 04:25PM by slatheredtwice.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 25, 2012 04:46PM

Jeffy boy has a master's degree in religious education from Brigham Young University. He also obtained master and doctor of philosophy degrees in American Studies from Yale University.

Does religious education count? Because I think that's as good as it gets for the Mormon boys when it comes to what you asked.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: September 25, 2012 05:00PM

Mormons disdain "priestcraft", they want untrained functionaries posing as clergy for the LDS community.

Pastoral confidentiality? What the heck is that says Joe Mo.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.