Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: formerlydoormat2012 ( )
Date: September 25, 2012 11:57PM

CUSSING! I always found it so shocking, but since I've ventured out of the tbm sensory deprivation chamber I've developed an appreciation for the well-placed f -bomb. I just can't do it myself. Yet. Its on my "list of things to do".

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 12:00AM

Words come and go. Some things we say all the time w/o a thought were once considered "bad" words.

Like "jazz."

Posted by: justrob ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 12:09AM

Oh the F-word is great!

Here's an easy stepping stone for you, use it the same way you would have said "Flipping" when you were TBM.

Holy Flip!
What the flip are you doing?!?
Why on earth would I want to flipping do that?
etc...

It really is the most versitile word, which imbues it with a higher sense of poetry than other curse words, IMHO.

I've also found that upper management pays a lot more attention to me because I will carefully use a curse word now and again. You can literally see them all perk up & pay attention... then later they treat you with more respect and listen to your ideas more.

It is literally the opposite of everything you were taught in TBM.

Swearing can also be hilarious.
I highly recommend it.

You don't want to do it too much though, because you want to be in control of when and where you place your curses, rather than having them just spill out haphazardly (1 makes you look powerful, the latter makes you look unreliable)

Date: September 26, 2012 12:10AM

After I read this back to myself I see how repressed I really am. Kind of sad. Maybe I'll go all in and tell the bishop to f@#? Off. Or my mom.

Date: September 26, 2012 12:16AM

Thank you justrob. I feel empowered. The f word does seem to be the best of all bad words. I don't want to be trashy. Just a little bad azz. Gotta find a balance.

Date: September 26, 2012 12:19AM

Learning to swear is a mind-fuck, ain't it?

lol, I couldn't help myself :D

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 08:48AM

Right now you must say, "Just a little bad ASS."

Because you just got all mormoney with that "azz" nonsense. ;)
Have fun with it!

Date: September 26, 2012 12:17AM

One of the most effective disdains in the world is a solemn, slowly annunciated "Fuck you"

You don't have to put a lot of anger or hate behind it, it stands on its own very well.

It also is very effective in an exasperated or disappointed tone.

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 12:12AM

To properly use the word, here is an instructional video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgjIsaq8y0A

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 12:14AM

Ah, fucking beat me to it! ;-)

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 12:13AM

"effing" is a good stepping stone word, too.

And repression is just a state of mind. You'll come around just fine with a little practice.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 12:13AM

Some inspiration!

Instructional -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26UA578yQ5g

Billy Connolly -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-FzOxc14d8 <- fixed linky

A Masterpiece -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXT0gOk1Ogw

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2012 12:17AM by spaghetti oh.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 12:15AM

Try it on the dog or the cat first. They don't mind it a bit!

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 01:16AM

I call my sweet loving little dogs, "Hey fuckers, I love you." all the time!

Posted by: ghost buster ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 12:21AM

One of the handiest things about a well placed swear word is that it can pack a lot of explosive meaning into a phrase. If every second word you use is the f-bomb, then people won't really care much, but when used properly a curse word can be used to add meaning that you simply cannot add without it. Sign of a weak mind trying to express itself indeed...

Fuck you Spencer!

I much prefer the quote from my buddy Sam:

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer."
-- Mark Twain

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 12:33AM

Another option. Listen to eminem's first three CD's over and over again...

Fuck, shit, ass, bitch, c**T, shoobady-do wop...

(actual lyrics from Who Knew)

Date: September 26, 2012 12:53AM

This is so educational! Mia. . . I told the dog she was f@#$ing annoying. She didn't care. (I said it in a nice tone of voice just in case). This is even more fun than I expected. Who knew? I think we've created a foul-mouthed monster!

Posted by: ghost buster ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 12:59AM

Once you are comfortable with it, go ahead and try it with a real person. See just how much attention you get from it. That is the real power of cussing, as long as you use it sparingly and properly, you will get your point across in a way that you never could without it.

Just imagine what would happen if you went up in sacrament meeting to give a talk and dropped a sh1t or an f-bomb. You would instantly have the attention of every single person in the room.

Powerful stuff, this language.

Date: September 26, 2012 10:31AM

I shared an office with a nevermo (well, technically he was baptized as a kid, but it was a hit and run baptism) and we'd shut the door and he'd let me practice swearing at him & he'd critique my style. It was oodles of fun.

If you are in Utah, you can come to one of the RfM meet-ups and we can practice.

Haha, we can all chant it like a prayer circle, but it's a "Swear Circle"

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 01:07AM

When I was TBM, I had only said one bad word, once. Jackass. Now that I'm free, I seem to function as a priest to my Ztbm friends. They are cussing around me, confessing about reading Shades of Grey, drinking coffee and more. I've even dropped a couple of nicely chosen words of my own. It's very liberating!

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 01:12AM

My TBM SIL swears quite a bit, even around her kids. She doesn't say the f word but uses hell, dammit, and sh!t. And now her kids swear! Just start off with the basics like her, or maybe you already have.

ETA: My s word got censored so I put the exclamation mark there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2012 01:13AM by ginger.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 01:17AM

Snicker! Start off with the basics. Hilarious!!

Date: September 26, 2012 01:57AM

I always thought saying "pissed off" was swearing. I was kind of amazed by this nonmo mom I met at the park the other day. We were talking about our kids and she said she had to get going but she knew her son (who was 2) was "going to be pissed so don't be surprised if he throws a shitfit". The judgmental tbm me would have been really shocked. Instead I found it kind of funny and just "real". I think I 'm making progress. But anyway is that swearing? My brother said not in "the real world". He said it was pretty mainstream. Could be considered vulgar but definitely not swearing. He said he would make deprogramming me his life's work. I guess I need it.

Date: September 26, 2012 10:16AM

"Swearing" is just a paradigm.
So here in the USA, no "pissed off" does not check the "swear word" box.

In most countries though, there is no singular subset of bad words. You either are speaking nicely, or you are speaking meanly. The words you choose to do that with are of little importance, as the intent is what matters. There might be a few taboo words that 100% = bad intent and are the worst offenders, so you could definitely call them swear words, but how far down that list you go before you draw the arbitrary line is completely subjective.

So if I tell someone to "Fuck off", here in the USA that is a very bad thing to say.
But why should it be "okay" (or at least not considered swearing) to replace that with something much worse (in my opinion) like:
--"Y'know, everyone would be a lot happier if you were no longer alive"
--or "Your actions imply that you have small genitals"
--or "After X years of life, anyone as unintelligent as you should really be recycled for organ harvesting"

(the last 2 were things I actually said to people as a TBM in HS)

As a TBM I never once uttered a swear word.
But I was king of saying awful/hurtful things in High School while maintaining my holier-than-though attitude.
I literally made about half of the girls on a bus all cry for over an hour because I was so hurtful.

I was a real bastard... but I thought I was fine because I wasn't "swearing".

Posted by: Gullible's Travels ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 11:32AM

I think its is a matter of degrees. Ex: hearing my 13yr old say it doesn't really bother me, but comming from my 5 yr old? Yes.
Pissed is like a training cuss. Kids learn how/when to say it in the proper context and they get to graduate to the bigger cuss words. Right right now my 5 yr old has to settle for 'jerk' and 'buttface'.

Posted by: kgigeque ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 04:46AM

My very favorite swearing right now comes from Key and Peele. I think their show is starting up again soon and they have some YouTube clips. They do a recurring bit where Obama has an anger translator, Luther, who translates Obama's message into angry-blackman language. It is very funny, very over-the-top swearing.

Posted by: family first can't log in ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 06:07AM

In lower NY talk, like Manhattan and the five boroughs and Long Island, getting 'pissed' means to become angry. In the UK, the word means drunk.

It is not a curse word there but actually just means angry.

They also say, "What a pisser" That means a whole bunch of things ranging from hilarious, ironic, funny, what a corker a person can be, or can be used to mean, "WTF"

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 09:08AM

The guy you really need to be asking about how to do this is Raptor Jesus.

Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 09:26AM

As an admirer of creative profanity, enjoy!

As a TBM kid, I used to be super-shocked when my mom would "lose it" and say "dammit to hell!" Those words uttered in the right tone of voice still have the power to make me feel like a little kid who's in big trouble ;-)

I'm never up to date with the latest cursing trends, but my current favorite is 'fucktard' because it combines profanity with political incorrectness.

I agree with other posters that keeping the power of the f-bomb undiluted takes finesse and timing: its deliberate and judicious use is immensely satisfying. However, when I overhear someone dropping f-bombs with every other word I'm not shocked - I just think they have a limited vocabulary.

One of my dogs who we adopted from a neglect/abuse situation knows the f-bomb means business. Even if I slip up and say the f-bomb in a normal or happy tone, he will show evidence of being stressed/worried. For that reason, I tend to watch my language around both my slobberchops.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 10:33AM

Perhaps this will help you on your journey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv6b0CretuE

Posted by: Gullible's Travels ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 11:17AM

This reminds me of the Ruth Buggs character from the movie 'Paul' after she found out her religion was bunk. She definitely got an A for creativity and provided a good reference for how not to do it. Lol!

Posted by: Traveler ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 11:28AM

I lived in California for 20 years where I learned proper vulgarity. Then I moved to the South, where the rules were different enough that I pretty much set the swearing aside. Now I'm on an extended visit back in California and it's nice to be able to swear without looking over my shoulder. It feels like home when a female coworker refers to a troublesome client as a f-ing @sshole -- because that's exactly what he is.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 11:40AM

I learned cursing from my father and grandfather. I also learned how and when to turn it off "in mixed company," a rather outmoded concept at best.. Where I work, there's some women who swear like sailors.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.