Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 10:54PM

"'Mormon blogger Faces Excommunication over Temples, Not Romney'
bu Peggy Fletcher Stack
'The Salt Lake Tribune'
September 24, 2012

"SALT LAKE CITY (Religion News Service) A Mormon blogger who has written critical web essays about Mormon history, temple worship and contemporary issues--including about GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney--is facing Church discipline for 'apostasy.'

Initially, the Florida blogger, David Twede, managing editor of mormonthink.com, told news media Friday (Sept. 21) that the threatened Church action was due to his comments about Romney. Later that day, he denied any political link. Then, on Saturday, he returned to 'a feeling in (his) gut' that his Romney remarks triggered the possible discipline.

[NOTE: Stack does not explain Twede's further amplification of his account. That would complicate her narrative, undermine her premise and require professional reporting on the Mormon Church in a town that look down on that kind of thing].

"Twede did get a letter from his Mormon leaders in Orlando, summoning him to a disciplinary council Sept. 30 for 'apostasy,' which they attributed to Twede’s writings.

[NOTE: Those writings included Twede's critical commentary on the Mormon Church's history of politicking and Romney's Mormon-doctrine view of God that is rejected by Christian traditionalists].

"In recent days, the blogger has blasted Romney as part of his critique of Mormonism, its beliefs about the nature of God and its temple ceremonies.

[NOTE: Many of those comments by Twede were written before he was summoned for his excommunication hearing].

"But, Twede told 'The Salt Lake Tribune' on Friday, his LDS leaders never brought up Romney, a Mormon, in their exchange with him. Though not supporting the Republican nominee, Twede apologized to Romney, saying, 'I didn’t mean for (the story) to go this way.'

[NOTE: Stack does not mention Twede's observation of the timing of the excommunication hearing as being "very suspicious," coming as it did in the wake of his criticisms of the Mormon Church's long history of involvement in politics.]

"Indeed, plenty of Mormons across the country are critical of Romney--in public and often--but none has been threatened with any Church sanction.

[NOTE: This is dishonest gymnastics on Stack's part. Twede's comments included criticism of the political connection between the Mormon Church and Romney. Stack, moreover, does not report if any of these other "plenty" of Mormon critics write on highly-publicized blogs where they accuse the Mormon Church of inappropriately mixing Mormon church and Romney state].

“'It is patently false for someone to suggest they face church discipline for having questions or for expressing a political view,' Michael Purdy, a spokesman for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, said in a statement. 'The church is an advocate of individual choice. It is a core tenet of our faith.'

[NOTE: And because one source--the Mormon Church, no less--says so, that makes it true? Talk about lapdog journalism].

"Purdy went on to say that 'Church discipline becomes necessary only in those rare occasions when an individual’s actions cannot be ignored while they claim to be in good standing with the Church. Every organization, whether religious or secular, must be able to define where its boundaries begin and end.”

"There is at least one area LDS leaders maintain should be off-limits--details about temple worship. Writing about it in general, academic terms is largely acceptable, but publicly describing specific sacred ceremonies is seen as deeply offensive.

[NOTE: The specific details of Mormon temple rituals have been publicly available for years, particularly because of the World Wide Net. The sacred-temple-ritual excuse is a Mormon Church cover to get Twede who went worldwide with it. Never mind that public exposure of the Mormon Masonic temple rites have been planetary for some time, thanks to the Internet].

"Mormonthink did have an entire section discussing LDS temple ceremonies and their connection to Masonic rites, with links to photos and text of LDS temple rituals.

[NOTE: The truth hurts, don't it?]

“'They (his local LDS leaders) were upset by the fact that I was discussing the temple, which is connected to Mitt Romney in my article,' Twede told The Daily Beast. 'I revealed things about the temple, and secrecy, and other things that they just don’t want anyone to talk about.'

[NOTE: "Which is connected to Mitt Romney in my article." That's the point].

"Purdy declined to comment on Twede’s individual situation.

“'Church disciplinary matters are confidential,' he said. 'While some may want to make their version of an issue public, the church will not discuss the private lives of individuals. To do so would be a betrayal of confidences and would affect others besides the person facing discipline.'"

[NOTE: The Mormon Church reverts to the same old saw of "not discuss[ing] the private lives of individuals" when those individuals blow the whistle on overt Mormon Church politicking. At that point, the Church trots out the lie that its critics are being punished for religious "apostasy."]

("Mormon Blogger Faces Excommunication over Temples, not Romney," under "Faith, Doctrine & Practice," bu Peggy Stack, religion reporter for "The Salt Lake Tribune," published by "Religioun News Service" syndicate, 24 September 2012, at:http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=%20faith%20%C2%BB%20doctrine%20%26%20practice%20mormon%20blogger%20faces%20excommunication%20over%20temples%2C%20not%20romney&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CCkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.religionnews.com%2Ffaith%2Fdoctrine-and-practice%2Fmormon-blogger-faces-excommunication-over-temples-not-romney&ei=Sb1jULrBD6bH0QHl2YD4Dg&usg=AFQjCNF4izmA3SrGheQAEBJJaUPeB5t0wQ)

Easy, lazy, cowardly "journalism" at its worst.

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2012 11:01PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: John Corrill ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 12:59AM

The idea that the church was threatening Twede over the Romney comments is tempting to love because of the political meddling consequences it would bring down on them. Respectfully, I'm having a difficult time seeing it.

The church hates MT because it's dragging a buzzillion members away from the church.

The church very recently threatened/forced Twede's predecessor at MT to resign his church membership - sounds familiar.

Lots of mormons actively and publicly oppose Romney without repercussion.

MT/Twede has a very tiny political audience and zero influence.

I can see exploring Romney and the second anointing/other temple stuff firing up the COB, but that's not political.

Fun stuff though...Good luck Mr. Twede :)

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 01:11AM

I see MT is hurting you a bit. As measured as you tried to be, you slipped.

As much as you or others want to discuss motive, what seems to fall through the cracks is truth.

Date: September 27, 2012 01:20AM

MT's not hurting me - I was out of the church long before MT came on the scene. I can see why the church doesn't like MT though - and why they would threaten someone who is part of it.

Lots of info, nicely presented.

Date: September 27, 2012 01:33AM

This story has gotten worldwide legs--as well as attracted apologetic "journalists" and paid Morg spokesmen, who emphatically deny that there is anything political about the Church's move to excommunicate Twede.

Mormonism's press lapdogs don't deeply dig into or accurately report Twede's actual assessments on why he thinks this has political markers.

Nor do they explain why he then waffled and downplayed what he initially told "The Daily Beast."

Nor do they link to Twede's blog where he explains what he was going through personally and how he is as convinced as ever of the political nature of his upcoming Church court.

In the meantime, no doubt, the Morg is pleased with the pacified response of reporters who are missing or dismissing the more complicated, comprehensive story.

What Twede did was to specify and support with credible citations the political realities of Mormon Church political history, while at the same time raising legitimate questions concerning the possible political ramifications of Romney's Mormon beliefs (for instance, on God and obedience to Church authority) influencing Romney's presidency, should he get elected.

Timing is everything. And when Twede got into the politics, the Church moved to ex him. The Church's claim that they are going after him because he inappropriately blabbed about its secret temple rituals is a cover and a ruse.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Edited 12 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2012 03:49AM by steve benson.

Date: September 27, 2012 01:57AM

Inspite of your insults, I will continue a diplomatic and reasoned discussion.

MT has little influence or threat politically. The reason it's a story of interest to the media is because of the extreme measures the church is taking (excommunication) over a seemingly minor offense. We've seen this before with the Thomas Murphy incident. That's my observation, anyway.

Date: September 27, 2012 02:00AM

I am glad, however, to see you modify your original stance. Now you say MT has "little influence," when you initially claimed it had "zero." You're making progress, however incrementally. :)

In the meantime, you might want to tell the worldwide press that is reporting this story--and Twede who is feeling it all--just how little influence MT and Twede are having.

We have yet to see if they end up penetrating the thick skulls of the Neanderthals inhabiting the dark recesses of Mormonism's church cave.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2012 04:42AM by steve benson.

Posted by: ChrisDeanna ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 07:16AM

Date: September 27, 2012 09:55AM

The MT website material discusses LDS history and doctrine, highlighting troubling past episodes that are not discussed by the Church today. MT does a great job in this regard and many people read it and are influenced by it in this regard. I think the LDS fears MT in this regard.

As I mentioned in a previous post above, I don't think people go there for political information, because there is none, and MT's influence in political issues is essentially non-existant.

That's my observation anyway. Thanks for the question.

Posted by: SerendipityHappensnotloggedin ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 09:24AM

By wacko mormon standards David tweede is in apostasy and they view MT as an apostate organization and a serious threat to their membership. TSCC excommunicates apostates all the time. I've known many who were excommunicated for far less than what David has done.

In my opinion if TSCC FAILED to act once they knew the identity of the editor of MT, then they would have been making a political move by keeping the excommunication out of the limelight until after the election.

Yeah, I get the timing.. he was called in after returning to activity in order to gain more credibility as the new editor of MT. If he hadn't published a peep about Romney, does anyone honestly think TSCC would pass by an opportunity to excommunicate the editor of Mormonthink?

Posted by: SerendipityHappensnotloggedin ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 09:57AM

Just read that the excommunication has been cancelled... now THAT'S a political move.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 10:37AM

No, no, it's just a "Celestial Coincidence" ...

<sarcasm>

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 06:42AM

John, what is on Mormonthink that isn't factual correct and truthful? (Please be specific).

Because the truth shouldn't lead people out of the Church, should it...

Date: September 27, 2012 12:21PM

Everything I've read on MT appears factual to me and I think this is exactly why it is effective in dragging people away from the church and why the church fears it.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 10:35AM

>> The church hates MT because it's dragging a buzzillion members away from the church.

or

>> MT/Twede has a very tiny political audience and zero influence.

You can't have it both ways!

T-Bone

Posted by: SerendipityHappensNotloggedin ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 10:45AM

T-bone, you and I read what he said differently...
I read it as, MT as it has zero POLITICAL influence... meaning people aren't going to mormonthink for information on how to vote! I read it that way because he said that is has a tiny political audience...so I assume he's referring to POLICITAL influence, not religious influence.

Posted by: almostTher ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 01:57PM

That's what I understood, too.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 01:10AM

doesn't tell the person on "trial" EXACTLY what the crime is they are supposedly being tried for?

It's HIS court, and he's not even sure what they are taking issue with? Is it the Romney stuff? Or the temple? Both? Or is he just thinking too much?

Telling someone they are being tried for apostasy or for conduct not befitting a church member is so vague as to be practically useless for a person preparing to defend themselves.

I think THAT is one of the most disturbing aspects of this case. Why bother calling it a church court? Why not just call it an inquisition?

Posted by: smithscars ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 07:49AM

I'm sad to see this article from Peggy, she of all people should know better.

I think it was David's political articles that started this whole debacle and got the mormons so up in arms. I think that they call into question the church's tax exempt status.

It's logical to assume that they could have waited if it was only the temple stuff since there's so much risk for it to blow up in their faces. They should have assumed it would be published if they pursued excommunicating a publisher.

Many people making comments, especially TBMs, should read the blog articles for themselves and then discuss this situation more intelligently.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 07:55AM

I'm afraid Peggy regurgitates rather than investigates...

Date: September 27, 2012 07:59AM

I have reached the conclusion over several years of observation that, unfortunately, she is an advocator, not an investigator.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2012 07:59AM by steve benson.

Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 09:24AM

Scott Kenney was very warm and encouraging, but Peggy was a gatekeeper. She was one of the reasons I backed away from further involvement with the magazine and its group. When she became editor I gave up.

Posted by: SLDrone ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 10:26AM

Peggy is just a slightly edgier version of Carol Mikita, more shill than reporter.

Steve I think the reason I bristle at this emerging class of "truth fighters" (Dehlin, Brooks, and now Twede as current examples) is that I take personal issue with this half in half out strategy. I have a distaste for it.

It's a pretty black and white issue. Either the LDS Church is God's one true church and the prophet is his only designated spokesman, or it is not. These people know the truth, they are playing a game and I personally find it to be a dishonorable tactic.

Now that the cult has called off the witch hunt, Twede is out there again prodding and poking (with his paisley revolution). As his 15 minutes has come on gone I see this as intentional provocation to remain relevant.

I hope the two of us can disagree on these tactics as I'm sure we do, but we can disagree with respect and acknowledgement that there are legitimate differences on this issue. Hyperbole serves no purpose other than to incite. My hat is off to John Corrill on this thread for his excellent and measured responses.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 10:42AM

"It's a pretty black and white issue. Either the LDS Church is God's one true church and the prophet is his only designated spokesman, or it is not. These people know the truth, they are playing a game and I personally find it to be a dishonorable tactic."

That's a false issue. Perhaps something like what is the best way to expose a cult? You object to this approach to expose a cult. Fair enough.

Posted by: SLDrone ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 10:51AM

It wasn't a false issue, just not fleshed out to conclusion. I'm glad we could come to the realization that it is not the goal we disagree about but simply the tactics. I've always been more binary than nuanced.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 10:45AM

The "half and half" mindset baffles me too*, but shouldn't exmodom be a big-tent society?

The Twede Affair has certainly left the Romney campaign with a bruised shin-bone, and the mormon church with face-omelet. That's OK by me.

*However, let us not underestimate the power of psychological enmeshment

Posted by: Dances with Cureloms ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 09:17AM

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 10:04AM

Throughout history there have been countless people in a position of choosing to report the truth, or choosing to go along with the accepted dogma of their society. Only the ones who were labeled apostates are recorded in the history books.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 12:41PM

LDS, Inc's motivation is not political, Twede has sown the seed that it is, and LDS, Inc. is backing down from the "Court of Love" (at least for now) simply to avoid bad press.

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 01:33PM

[NOTE: The specific details of Mormon temple rituals have been publicly available for years, particularly because of the World Wide Net. The sacred-temple-ritual excuse is a Mormon Church cover to get Twede who went worldwide with it. Never mind that public exposure of the Mormon Masonic temple rites have been planetary for some time, thanks to the Internet].

I don't think it is just a cover. In the mind of the church it doesn't matter that the information has been made available on the internet; a church member with major visability to the world still violated the sacredness of the temple by sharing the details of the ritual which he promised to not do. The policy of the church (right or wrong) in such a case is to hold a disciplinary council to determine the fate of his membership.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.