Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: September 29, 2012 01:44PM

I recently saw a special on one of the major TV networks, featuring the mornom church. They actually disclosed more than they would have years ago. But the apologist that explained the church's position on polygamy misled those TV viewers who didn't know better. He confidently explained how the church does not practice polygamy and how it prohibits its members from practicing polygamy. He didn't get in to their beliefs on the afterlife, where the church still believes that polygamy is alive and well, that each worthy man will have several wives, because women tend to be more valient than the men and there won't be enough men to go around. He didn't explain that the church only prohibits polygamy because the government won't allow it (that IRS tax free status is their gold standard and they really don't want to lose that). Inside the church, almost all members know the truth of the church's beliefs about polygamy. But to the outside world, it's a secret that too often is kept from them. These mormon apologists that go on TV should be more honest. Anyone agree?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: AltaRica ( )
Date: September 29, 2012 01:53PM

Completely agree. The way TSCC still practices polygamy bugs me to no end. Last year my dad was remarried without getting his sealing canceled with my mom. Next time I'm talking to a TBM about my leaving the church, I think I'm going to non-chalantly say something like "...when my dad decided to become a polygamist last year, I really started thinking more about the church's truth claims."

Hey all you social media savvy people: how could we start some sort of awareness campaign online about contemporary polygamy in TSCC? Maybe do a video with people giving these types of one liners: "My dad became a polygamist on May 20th, 2010 when he was sealed in the LA Temple to a second wife."

Posted by: smith ( )
Date: September 30, 2012 11:12AM

So today I found some documentaries concerning Polygamy in the Mormon church:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2yPzAnoUO8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=7OEaRn3uHsc

And then one that compares the FLDS to the LDS church:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=bjDJs7wvGLg

This is really interesting stuff, as it was unknown to me that this was going on until recently. Does anyone here know anything about polygamy in Utah? It his stuff accurate?

Posted by: snowbird ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 01:40PM

the church still believes and practices polygamy under cover with 10 men having several wieves and they wont let Utah law bother the flds or any other polygamist group in ut Arizona or and its still in there hoollly book d and c

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: October 01, 2012 07:49PM

The #Mormon church says it ceased polygamy in 1890, yet still practices it in their temples. #lds #hypocritical #creepy #cult

So a twitter search pulled up this tweet by an account with the profile that says they are an exmormon, atheist, and author of a book "Don't Dunk Me When I'm Gone"

Someone with those kind of words would probably not attract Mormons, but people trying to learn about Mormons that use words like #cult #temples and #Mormon on a search.

The video idea that you have could be done and promoted on YouTube, you could then tie in a Twitter campaign to share or direct people to the YouTube content, link, blog, page

The key I think is tying in a Tweet to personalities with a high volume of followers who also are likely to be open to your subject. Creating your own followers is more successfully done by people who are known in other media like film, tv, music, politics. A fun and successful tweet might include Kim Kardashian (she has 16.2 million followers, thats a lot of eyeballs!)something like

"Ask a #Mormon how you can be married to all the $KimKardashian sisters in #LDS heaven through #marriage in their #temple"

It has to be less than 140 character

People searching Mormon, LDS, marriage, temple, and $KimKardashian will get your tweet in chronological order with others that are using the same word

The site blocks things that look like an email address, so I put. $ where there would be an at sign

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2012 08:24PM by gentlestrength.

Date: October 01, 2012 10:26PM

AltaRica

I have a funny tweet for Mormon polygamy with high volume of followers in order of appearance they have

4.0, 5.8, 3.0, 1.6 for a total of 14.4 million followers

$DJPaulyD can be married to $snooki $JENNYWOWW $MTVSammi in #Mormon heaven, ask me how!

At sign substituted by $

You might have some fun inquiries on this one, make sure you tweet this when you think the reality TV star are up so if they see it and like it they retweet

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2012 10:53PM by gentlestrength.

Date: October 01, 2012 10:51PM

Let us know how things develop on your Social Media project.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2012 10:55PM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: Boomer ( )
Date: August 03, 2013 02:23AM

Why is it liberals think homosexual marriage should be allowed (it's their right!!) but consensual polygamous marriage shouldn't? If freedom means anything, it means individuals have the right to decide what form of marriage they want. Including polygamy.

Date: August 03, 2013 03:19AM

People are born polygamous?

Posted by: Anonymity.2 ( )
Date: August 03, 2013 05:57AM

Do you think everyone is born monogamist?

Date: August 09, 2013 07:04PM

Polygamy is different than a sexual orientation.

Polygamy is an official marriage arrangement.

They are incongruent. I believe people are born homosexual, I believe people choose polygamy. One is constitutionally protected the other is a lifestyle choice.

If people want to make babies with multiple women and raise them up in a belief system that provides more women programmed to believe this is required of them by god in site of their own preferences, not going to help them do that religion. Just like I'm not going to help Muslims and Hindis throw acid on their disobedient women's faces.

Is my position, Okay by you, or do we disagree?

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: September 29, 2012 01:55PM

Even now, there are three general authorities who are on their second Eternal Marriage, just racking up the bitches for that Eternal Polygamy Party in Mormon Paradise.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: September 29, 2012 01:56PM

In Mormon culture there is no truth except that which is helpful. If information is unhelpful, it is hidden (papyri, letters purchased to be suppressed, etc), hat and rock which they still have. If it is impossible to suppress, it is reframed and rewritten. (all Scriptures). If it is impossible to reframe and rewrite, then it is written off as irrelevant to one's salvation, or "spoke as a man."

Anagrammy

Date: September 29, 2012 04:02PM

Discussions about eternal polygamy that get the most incredulity from the unaware is how the treat temple sealed women who have their husband die, especially young or with young children.

The church has a fairy tale story that holds no truth, but especially under the reality of messy real life.

A TBM, temple-sealed, young wife and mother has her TBM, temple-sealed, husband commits suicide or die in some non-approved TBM manner. What's her future within the Church?

Social media would depend on audience and resources. Twitter is cheap and easy, do you want to put information in front of Mormons, #Mormon or #BYU, keep the text polite and vague so that they click on link.

#Polygamy searches on Twitter, that might be educational for non members and then include, high profile celebrities or news media like @ladygaga, @andersoncooper, or @huffingtonpost. This will increase the potential audience and if the celebrity reads and re-tweets your tweet will reach millions right away! The gay community is especially upset with Mormons now, so gay or gay-friendly celebrities like those I provided are especially sympathetic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2012 04:41PM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: jw the inquizzinator ( )
Date: September 29, 2012 04:26PM

Here are some more appropriately phrased questions:

- Do Mormons believe in polygamy?
- Do Mormons believe polygamy is practiced in the hereafter and that God condones it?
- Does God 'like' polygamy (from a Mormon perspective)?
- Are there living Mormon General Authorities that are sealed (i.e. married in a Mormon temple) to more than one woman? Do they intend to practice polygamy in Heaven?
- Are Joseph Smith and Brigham Young practicing polygamy right now?
- Has the Mormon Church ever officially condemned polygamy?
- In Mormon doctrine, is polygamy a sin?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2012 04:26PM by jw the inquizzinator.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: September 29, 2012 05:00PM

I'm one of those polygs, having been married twice and sealed to new DW without the ex cancelling it.

Posted by: notamo ( )
Date: September 30, 2012 01:10AM

my husband's ex wife is a TBM. He started the conversion process (got baptized) but they divorced very quickly. She had been married twice before and had been sealed to her first husband (not sure if he cancelled it tho) and I think she's happy she was sealed to him as that's her ticket into heaven. How horrible is that to divorce someone in this life but have to put up with them in the next (I'm an atheist and don't believe in heaven or hell - all this Celestial Kingdom stuff in Mormonism makes me just shake my head in utter disbelief that so many people actually believe in it)

Posted by: cytokine ( )
Date: October 01, 2012 08:07PM

Yes, members do believe and the church continues to teach (through the D & C) that polygamy is of God. So we need to get the truth out to non-Mormons, who are often curious about the Mormonism-polygamy connection.

Defenders of the LDS Church love to say that the church is now opposed to the practice of polygamy. But why should that be reassuring when Mormons continue to believe and teach that polygamy is divinely sanctioned? One could argue that that belief is just as immoral as the practice.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: October 01, 2012 08:26PM

Yes.

A. MORmONS believe God Himself and His Son are eternal polygamists.Even MORmONS who don't personally believe this, believe it anyway because they are MORmON members who deferred to Joe Smith & Brig Young as their spiritual guides/ leaders, and god as a polygamist is what Joe & MORmON founding cohorts taught. MORmONS that know about this feel OK with putting the label of polygamist on God, but they get upset if it is applied to them as MORmON members by outsiders because its not the public image LDS Inc currently wants to convey in very temporary mortality, even if they secretly hope to practice polygamy in the next life along side MORmON god.

Then MORmONS wonder why ppl think that MORmONS are two faced & deceitful.

B. the church reserves the right to nullify or reinstate ordinances by simple decree for members, and frequently does so. Gordon B.S. Hinckley claims that LDS Inc has "nothing whatever to do with polygamy", The LDS church also VERY frequently goes to the trouble of doing vicarious baptism for the dead who had no interest or even opposition to being MORmON when they were alive, but the MORmON church could not be bothered with the far easier task nullifying by decree any of Joe SMith's or Brigham Young's plural marriages.

C. MORmON convention states that temple marriage goes on right through death. MORmON men are still currently sealed to more than one wife as a prior wife dies. By MORmON convention that gives that man more than one wife. any man with more than one wife is a polygamist. This by MORmON convention. WHen MORmONS get pinned down on this they suddenly want to apply the conventions of traditional marriage that ends at death -a form of marriage that MORmONS normally detest and otherwise go to endless lengths to disparage and deride as inferior to MORmON eternal marriage.

D. MORmONS love to cite the 1890 manifesto. WillFRAUD Woodruff who issued the 1890 supposed ban on polygamy did not even abide by it himself as he married another plural wive , Mary MOuntford in 1898.... but MORmONS expect outsiders to respect the 1890 ban when its cited. Howard Hunter is actually the most recent polygamist MORmON pres. who entered into polygamy in 1990. see section C. above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6mtf1_-rx4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyXyxfAodtQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCN3AvH4JRg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2012 08:32PM by lucky.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: October 01, 2012 10:55PM

If the church didn't still believe in polygamy they wouldn't have had any issues with me being sealed to my second husband.

Because I was sealed to my first, they denied the request.

The only reason they would do that is because they still believe in marriage in the next life. My ex could be sealed to someone at anytime. They wouldn't have a problem with that.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: October 01, 2012 10:57PM

The church also believes the polygamy will be practiced again here on this earth - not just in heaven. They don't make a big deal of it and try to keep it quiet, but that is the doctrine - they just believe the world is to evil/worldly to accept it for now.

Posted by: EdKociela ( )
Date: October 02, 2012 08:01PM

You can 'like' the Facebook page for my book 'plygs'...Better yet, like the page and buy the book at Amazon.com. Available as an e-book now, coming in print shortly...

Date: October 04, 2012 01:25AM

Starting to see some more educational tweets with links to youtube video and websites tied to educating on truthful Mormon doctrine and history.

I especially liked the tweets that tied in with #DenverDebate, #Mormon, and #Romney searches so that people can begin to learn what his religion believes.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 02:34PM

The church obviously believes in polygamy in the afterlife.

But they LIE about it. Richard Hinckley, as church spokesman, was asked by John Sweeney in his BBC program about Mormons and Mitt Romney, whether the church believes there will be polygamy in the afterlife.

Hinckley said, "We don't know."

Of COURSE they know! Plenty of living Mormon men are sealed for eternity to more than one woman, including three apostles and my two TBM brothers.

Do they believe that all of the polygamous wives in 19th century Utah will not be spending eternity with the priesthood holders that they were sealed to? Of course not!

Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 02:54PM

As a child I remember being around when my grandmother would 'jokingly' tell everyone which ladies in the ward my grandpa would be allowed to marry if she died.

It wasn't until years later, after she had passed and grandpa was telling everyone that 'god told him he would find another wife' that I put it all together. (He said the same thing after wife #2 passed as well)

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: August 03, 2013 03:00AM

How is this situation supposed to work? Aunt is sealed to husband that is killed in Vietnam a year or so after they wed. She eventually marries a second husband (which I'm assuming can't be a true sealing). She has children with the second husband. Are the children considered BIC or not? Who will the children end up being sealed to? Is it the first husband that is not their father? Does she have the choice to break the first sealing and be sealed to husband #2 and have the kids sealed to them? Is there any explanation of this by TBMs other than "It'll all work out in the end"?

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: August 03, 2013 03:56AM

It is highly unlikely that she would have her first sealing cancelled, as her husband has died in good standing. Any children she has will belong to her first husband in the CK. Her second husband is effectively a bachelor and not eligible for exaltation in the CK.

This is why young LDS widows are not good marriage material for the average Mormon man. And also why there are specific dating sites for LDS widows and widowers.

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: August 03, 2013 03:44AM

Actually my uncle married a widow. I actually attended the wedding as it couldn't be in the temple. All their kids (they had a daughter together) were supposed to be sealed to husband #1 along with his own, as it was explained to me. Her first marriage was brief so after many years with my uncle she petitioned for a temple annulment of the first marriage and was sealed to #2. At least that's how I understood it. My dad mostly felt like it would be sorted out in the afterlife and I think he secretly thought reincarnation was about as likely as Mormon heaven, and god would figure it out.

Date: August 03, 2013 03:48AM

Intresting vh65. So was the daughter she had with husband #1 sealed to #2 after the temple annulment of the first marriage?

Date: August 03, 2013 03:50AM

As a side note, I grew up in a family where my dad re-married after my mom died. Even though I grew up thinking that polygamy in the after life was normal, I didn't want anything to do with a husband that would end up having more than one wife.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 03, 2013 07:21AM

The mormon church likes pretend there's no present day polygamy within the state and they refuse to accept that some covert polygamists lead a double life and have callings and attend regular wards.

Why do they cover up ongoing polygamy? Out of embarrassment, yes, but also because they still believe in it.

Mormons claim to be Christian and say they're not connected to Mormon polygamy. But they have much more in common with these splinter mormon groups and families than with normal mainstream Christian churches.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.