Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: October 01, 2012 07:30PM

after so long am almost used to it. There is only so much I can do, but I really get upset when I miss rare opportunities. I wanted to see Marilyn Manson in concert tonight.

I think they are still banned from playing in SLC after he tore up a BofM on stage, which would have been a HUGE highlight for me, especially since I have to endure morgbots, and GC soon. Would have gotten a lot of mileage from that.....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mindlight ( )
Date: October 01, 2012 07:48PM

He is one of my favorites.
Listening to The Beautiful People right now. Next up The Dope Show

I don't go to concerts anymore. But they were a great experience.

You won't have to deal with the assorted crazies in the parking lots either

sorry though

Date: October 01, 2012 08:18PM

to go out for. I miss the opera (can't afford anymore), but have seen most of them 2 or 3 times anyhow.

Nothing can replace a rock concert for me. Usually I manage to avoid the worse elements, and am more worried about not being a teenager. I look for people who are older than me, and find a lot of them, and see people with children, and even people who have more visible health problems than me. The last time I went to one I had to take a lot of meds so I would not get sick, but for me it was worth it, even if I was slow. For me, rock concerts are a place where I can be around what I consider mostly normal people; it's an escape from Utah without leaving the state, and great music. I LOVE being around normal.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2012 08:22PM by atheist&happy:-).

Posted by: mindlight ( )
Date: October 01, 2012 08:37PM

I was 54 at my last concert, Pearl Jam in San Francisco. I stayed waaay out of the fray and enjoyed it tremendously.
It plays over, on demand, in my mind when I am so inclined.
As does a particularly nice night outdoor concert by Metallica.

We have our memories!!
I so enjoyed the feelings of life I get at concerts.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: October 01, 2012 09:22PM

since that seems to make ya the happiest. I hope you can get some relief.
Be well!

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: October 01, 2012 10:01PM

A&H, sure wish Icould help! My late husband was an old school hippie freak who lived for years with Ataxia before it finally took him out. People might not realize that if a concert is soldout the wheelchair section can sell tickets at the lowest price to the disabled as well as the able bodied companions who push the chair. If it hasn't changed the crip section is often right up on the stage and you sit with the same folks from show to show. Maybe someone can help you out once they realize the benefits.

Date: October 01, 2012 10:05PM

Btw, the ticket office does not have the legal right to make you prove youneed the wheelchair if your disability isn't obvious. Just don't stand up or walk about!

Date: October 01, 2012 10:44PM

I noticed they had a wheelchair section, but did not know about laws or rules for disabled in general. I should learn more, because I am aware of the laws almost everywhere else. One problem I did have was trying to get information from this venue. Other venues communicate.

Date: October 02, 2012 07:23PM

It's been many years since I took advantage of this so of course it may have changed. It was just a large open area and the able bodied sat in folding chairs so it was easy to cram in one more. Some folk in wheelchairs would have 5-6 friends with them. When Buddy and I saw the moody blues in new orleans in 1994 everyone in the wheelchair section knew each other and when the show was over everyone was saying "see you next month at pink floyd!" It was awesome!

Posted by: sometimes lurker ( )
Date: October 03, 2012 09:29AM

Will he have a motorcade and a bullet proof car?

Date: October 04, 2012 12:51AM

Trying to make sense out of the motorcade comment. Guess the problem is mine for trying to make sense of nonsensical. Wish to say there's real help here but just don't feel like being angry forever with folk who seem to be wallowing for eternity in their anger. My jackmormon friend quit reading last week after telling me ya'll are tedious. Athiest&happy and dhowell: feel free to try to email me!

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: October 04, 2012 03:17AM

Siobhan, it's really kind of you to post the information on possible resources for AH but accusing those who post here of wallowing in anger seems like a passive-aggressive Mormon mindset and also like a bit of an overreaction to what was a totally nonsensical comment that read more ridiculous than angry.

I've noticed that those who accuse others of being angry when what they are displaying is hurt or fear (or a misguided attempt at humor) have often not processed their own anger. Just something to consider.

Also, you didn't need your jackmormon friend's comment to give your opinion credence. If it's your opinion, own it. It counts for something even if you don't have someone who agrees backing you up.

Good luck to you.

A&H, I hope you find some resources in your community that provide some entertainment options. My area doesn't have them, but some areas have dollar-movie theaters or days. It's been a while since I've lived in an area that had them, so maybe they no longer exist or are more like two- or three-dollar movies now. Sending good thoughts your way.

Posted by: sometimes lurker ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 12:44PM

The comment realy DOES NOT make sense because it was intended for another thread and I screwedd up. sorry.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: October 04, 2012 01:19AM

I saw some great concerts back when: Robin Trower, Little Feat, Doobie Bro.s, Ronnie Montrose, Sammy Hagar, Ted Nugent, Be Bop Deluxe, Rush, UFO, Yes, Roger Waters, Journey, Boston, Queen, Steppenwolf, Ramones, Patti Smith, Moody Blues, Pat Travers, B.T.O., Zeppelin Unleaded, Queensryche, Carlos Santana, The Grateful Dead, The Tubes, Huey Lewis, REM, Ratt, Wendy O Williams, Donovan, Norton Buffalo, The Electric Light Orchestra, Rick Wakeman, Aerosmith, Dokken, Ozzy Osborne, DEVO, Jethro Tull, Whitesnake, and the mighty Pink Floyd.

I may be too old and nervous to attend concerts, but my experiences have enriched me for a lifetime.

Date: October 04, 2012 08:32AM

Thanks Dorothy but I'm not mormon nor will I ever be. Only got on here to try to understand a trapped friend's mindset. All I can say is the response has been about 60% lashing out at me and a few people making it clear that I'm not welcome because I'm not one of you. Those who appear to use this site as their own personal fiefdom/fan club also appear to have left the church many years ago while still being furious. Really, what's the use in that? One might as well go back to the church and play the game. I have been violently raped and choose to not let it ruin my day. I also don't project that pain on others who ask about my experience. The only thing that might help this site is a place for discussion by those who don't live in Utah/Idaho. Doesn't matter to me. Doubt I'll be back.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: October 04, 2012 09:42AM

You obviously haven't learned much of the destruction Mormonism causes. People have a right to be angry about being lied to. Open your eyes a little more, you might actually learn something.

Posted by: rander70 ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 01:02PM

If I was abused by someone who was a close friend of my family, why wouldnt I speak up? He could end up hurting my family too. Not letting it "ruin your day" is a good thing, but so is the process of grieving. Grieving involves anger to help through loss; many people on this board are angry at the church for what it did to them and their family. I cant stand when I see someone let another person get away with the abuse they caused them. This is not noble, it's irresponsible because you are enabling that person's behavior. I believe its important to not hold a grudge, but a period of anger is healthy, and making sure the abuser knows what they did wrong is being responsible in ensuring this person cannot hurt anyone else ever again.

Posted by: rander70 ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 12:52PM

>.< I totally wanted to go to that concert... *sniff*... but I couldnt...*cry*...

Posted by: Darksparks ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 12:55PM

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 02:47PM

+1 to this. We've gone a couple of times and love how the crowd is seated and is kept under control. Nice atmosphere, right next to the hotels, good situation. We'll definitely go back. You'd have a good experience here, I'm sure! :)

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 01:36PM

You like opera! So do I! I don't care how many times I see an opera. The music is so complex, that you notice new things every time you hear it.

Do you live here in Salt Lake City? The Century Theater on 33rd South, and the Union Heights Theater in Sandy, and the Theater on Decker Lake in West Valley have beautiful operas in HD, for about 12-14 dollars. It is well worth the price, you don't have to get dressed up or pay for parking, and you can see over people's heads! The sound, and the quality of the performances is excellent. It is almost more fun than live opera, because you can see the expressions on the singers' faces. I like the subtitles, because I don't know Italian or German.

http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/liveinhd/LiveinHD.aspx

These operas are hard to track down, so just keep checking your local theaters once a week. There is another series of operas that show performances from La Scala, and other opera companies throughout Italy. These are $20, and are shown at the same theaters. These theaters show a ballet series, also, this summer we saw the Royal Ballet and the Bolshoi.

My secret pleasure is grabbing a water bottle and a candy bar, jumping in the car and driving 5 minutes to the Metropolitan Opera, still wearing my comfy jeans and sweater.

Maybe that's how you feel about rock concerts. I have spent a lifetime studying and playing classical music.

Did you see Wagner's Ring Cycle on PBS, last month? Amazing! I'm sure that will be repeated. Don't miss that! It is free, except you need a TV. It was aired four nights in a row, at 10:00 pm. These events are not well advertised, so you need to keep your eyes open.

PBS also has good concerts of older, more conservative stars, such as Paul McCartney, Elton John, and James Taylor.

YouTube has good concerts! You must watch Metallica's performance with the San Francisco Symphony on YouTube--pure bliss!!!! Often I see something on YouTube first, then decide to go see it in person, for example, we're going to see the Trans Siberian orchestra at Christmas.

A lot of people feel they can't spend money on concerts, because of the economy, and a lot of people simply don't have the time to go (add the time spent getting dressed up, hiring a babysitter, driving in the traffic, parking, walking, etc.). I'm sure it is rough being handicapped, and having to deal with all of that.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 06:24PM

It is sad when you want to go out but can't for one reason or another. Sorry that you couldn't go.

However, I had read that the concert wasn't very good. I had a few friends go to it and didn't hear anything about it later, so it probably wasn't too amazing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.