Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 04:20AM

This includes resigning from Cult, Inc., & walking away from my entire family (most of whom are TBMs, but also cutting off all contact with the few nevermos & exed), & social structure (both TBM family friends, as well as nevermo family friends who don't realize how screwed up Cult, Inc., is because my TBM mom is 'practically normal'). I hardly talk to anyone in my family anyway, & they don't call me or anything. Now I'm acquainted with a lot of people that my parents don't know. & they have no clue that I was ever in Cult, Inc. But I wouldn't call them friends. But it's been good to socialize with them over the years.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 05:04AM

It's okay to walk away from whatever is toxic in your life.

Posted by: ExBozo ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 08:11PM

More than ok. Necessary.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 06:09AM

Why cut off the nevermo and ex'd?

Just curious,

Anagrammy

Date: December 29, 2010 06:29PM

anagrammy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why cut off the nevermo and ex'd?
>
> Just curious,
>
> Anagrammy

Because my practically exmo father (he's been inactive for over 20 years, but won't resign) is an abusive asshole. As for the nevermos & excommunicated - they don't even contact me, & if they did I would probably ignore them.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 08:16AM

When we walked away about 10 years ago (wife, three kids and myself), we had to make an absolute "no contact" boundry with our extended family. It was the best thing we ever did. I don't think my wife and I would have cleared our heads had we not given ourselves that space. The "no contact" lasted just over 3 years at which time we sought to re-connect with the family. There have been times we've thought that our poorest choice as a couple.

Family is important, but functioning is vital. If it takes walking away to function then do it and feel stronger for it.

Good luck to you. Realizing LDSinc is an expensive club, at best, and a money&time sucking cult at almost best, is difficult. But now that you've realized it you've given yourself a chance for a healthier, better life.

Cheers

Human

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 10:58PM

Human is right. You must do what is healthy for you. You do not need toxic people in your life. Make a fresh start and then gradually allow those who are kind and approachable back into your life if you choose. Don't worry what the people who claim to want what is best for you say. Let it all roll off your back. Stand up for yourself and you will be better for it. Fakers are some of the hardest people to deal with when you know they are not true believers. Don't engage conversation with them or anyone regarding Mormonism. All the best being sent you way.

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 08:49AM

I walked away from the cult many years ago and it was the best decision I ever made. Of course, I was a convert and everyone in my family nevermos. I agree with the others that LD$ Inc. is toxic and will never let you think for yourself or make your own choices in life.

Good luck to you.

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 08:51AM

You should take all the time you need to clear your head of the cobwebs and B.S. of MormonDumb, without undue influence from the adversary. You can re-introduce certain people back into your life later, after you've established boundaries and learned how to defend them.

Good luck.

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 06:34PM

This sounds like it's less about Mormonism than it is about your need to shed abusive people in your life.

Posted by: Unconventional Ideas ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 07:23PM

We reunited this past weekend.

That time away has been good for all involved.

Things have changed, and those who stayed in the Morg were actually completely respectful.

I'm guessing many who remain in the Morg don't actually believe in it anymore, or at least like we all once did. They are in it for tradition, and business reasons. That is it.

If it works for them, what am I to say against it, especially when they show me total respect.

Date: December 30, 2010 01:00AM

I have an inkling that many of my cousins don't believe, yet won't leave because they don't want to be ostracized by their parents. I don't know if they won't interact me because they genuinely don't like me (I know a lot of lies & misunderstandings are perpetuated as truth by my TBM sister), or because of my decade plus of inactivity. & if they think I'm shunning them because I either can't or won't go to their parties, then forget them. Most of the time I can't go because I'm too busy. If I don't want to go, it's because the whole thing is about fakeness or the cult or something like that. I don't even know my own family because of this damn cult! But they don't even call, & all of these invitations are piggy-back invitations for my mom that don't even have my name on them 3/4 of the time. I don't even know if I can stand to be in my nephews' lives. It's so heartbreaking to see them be brainwashed into the cult.

Posted by: Shazam101 ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 01:57AM

Are you old enough and can physically join the military? Great way to get away from home, earn a good wage, see the world and get money for college and dont have to be any religion, just sayin!

Date: December 30, 2010 04:09AM

Shazam101 Wrote:
> Are you old enough and can physically join the
> military? Great way to get away from home, earn a
> good wage, see the world and get money for college
> and dont have to be any religion, just sayin!

I'm asthmatic.

Date: December 30, 2010 08:28AM

Shazam101 Wrote:
> Are you old enough and can physically join the
> military? Great way to get away from home, earn a
> good wage, see the world and get money for college
> and dont have to be any religion, just sayin!

As a military veteran with an honorable discharge, I would not recommend the United States military to anyone anymore.

It's about propping up an empire by fighting endless resource wars. It was completely described over half a century ago in George Orwell's "!984."

There are other ways to get away and establish a new life. You don't need to join a corrupt imperialist military force to achieve that end.

Posted by: Prophetess ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 08:30PM

It's easy to call the U.S. military corrupt and imperialistic, but that's not the whole story. Sure, you can find examples of corruption, but do you really think the world would be a better place if every U.S. service member decided to become a conscientious objector? Would you prefer Ahmadinejad or Kim Jong-il to have more power?

Date: January 01, 2011 09:11PM

loveismyreligion Wrote:
> It's easy to call the U.S. military corrupt and
> imperialistic, but that's not the whole story.
> Sure, you can find examples of corruption, but do
> you really think the world would be a better place
> if every U.S. service member decided to become a
> conscientious objector? Would you prefer
> Ahmadinejad or Kim Jong-il to have more power?

The U.S. military is simply the arm of an imperialist power. The military in and of itself isn't necessarily corrupt. There are many fine people in it.

My point is not to join it simply as a way to get away or get college paid for. There are other less toxic ways to achieve those ends.

Posted by: Prophetess ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 09:14PM

I think you're contradicting yourself.

Quote #1:
I would not recommend the United States military to anyone anymore...You don't need to join a corrupt imperialist military force to achieve that end.

Quote #2:
The military in and of itself isn't necessarily corrupt.

Date: December 30, 2010 04:04AM

I'm in here, day in & day out, reading everyone's posts & all I wish for is to be done with it all, & my situation won't let me. It's making me feel even more out of it than I usually am. I will let everyone know when I'm finally able to resign.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 08:52PM

Only you fully know your own situation. If your links with people (including exmos) has been fouled by lies, well, a clean break may well be your best option.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.