Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: October 07, 2012 10:36PM

This was the BS line I've heard so many versions of. It goes along with just about every demand the morg makes on its captives.

When my stepson was on his mission our bishop made the comment that we were so lucky. Why? Because we would receive more blessings during this time than any other time in our life.

That comment put my husband over the edge. At that time his dad was dying, I had cancer, Our other kids were struggling with some serious problems.

He told the bishop that he thought his son should come home before his entire family was wiped out. If this was Gods idea of blessings he wanted out!

The bishop looked stunned, but didn't say a word. What could he say?

My husband told any member that would listen how blessed we were at the time. He would wrap it up with a comment about what a load of crap the whole mission/blessing promises are.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: baura ( )
Date: October 07, 2012 11:15PM

This is standard BS in Mormonism.

The Bishop just repeats crap he's heard from others and the fact
that it totally doesn't fit the situation (LDS's one-size-
fits-all approach) is totally lost on him.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: October 07, 2012 11:20PM

I think looking on the positive side and being grateful for what you have is good, but it can be carried too far. If soeone dies ar is seriously ill or if you lose your ob, you have a right to be upset. Nobody wants to be told to count their blessings at a time like that.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 07, 2012 11:25PM

I am so sorry you all went thru that. I feel so bad for all the made up crap told to Mormons and their families. Goes to show he didn't know your family well did he? And to say this when stepson was gone. How cruel.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: October 07, 2012 11:35PM

When the Morgbots tried to tell me that, I just said, "That has not been my experience, no."

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: October 07, 2012 11:38PM

Reminds me of the time Big Brother increased our chocolate rations from five ounces a week to three.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: October 07, 2012 11:57PM

The reasoning is so warped! Anything good is a blessing, anything bad is either a curse or a test. They are blind to the good and bad going on all around them, outside the church microcosm. It negates the possibility of working hard for what you get, and random events. Good things happen, bad things happen. Period.

Posted by: ghost buster ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 03:01AM

You know, now that I have left the morg I have found that I have received so many blessings that I can't count them.

Posted by: Alice ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 03:15AM

TSCC uses that same argument for its senior missionaries, too. Before I left I had lots of Mormon friends (friends no more) and relatives who went on senior couples missions, and they told me that they would be better use to their family, by going on a mission and bringing in the blessings. They thought this was more effective than helping their family directly.

At first, I thought some of these old couples wanted to leave and escape all their family problems, but now I realize that they really believe the more-blessings-heaped-on-than-you-can-count BS. LOL! Maybe it was a blessing to them, that they didn't have to be in the middle of all the disasters.

Our neighbors went on a couples mission, and two of their daughters got divorced, a daughter in law got cancer, and the missionary's business partner stole the business away.

Why are we so very blessed, then, when we haven't been on any missions or paid any tithes in the years after leaving? Good question. Maybe we'll get our punishments in the next life.

Posted by: ironmann ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 10:41AM

We had THREE children out in the mission field at once recently!

Worst financial time of my life!

My wife's blood would continually boil when morgbots would come up to her and say "oh, triple the blessings!"

This time period actually cemented in my mind that if there was a god he didn't give a sh!t about 3 of his missionaries or my family enough to help us out a bit.

Almost lost my house too...

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 10:50AM

I used to hold up my right hand, palm out. It almost magically stops their jaws from flapping about so.

After they quit babbling I would patiently explain my proof that the only "blessings" I had ever gotten were through the skills I had developed and the hard labor of the hand they saw in front of their face.

It shut them up immediately.

Blessings, schmessings!

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 10:54AM

Yea, when my son was out on a mission I got the lowest raises I ever got, was sick for part of the time, etc.

My daughter is out and my SIL got breast cancer, I had an emergency appendectomy and shoulder surgery, and at my job we have no contract and could be laid off at any time. I'm guessing we are not getting any raises....

I don't see anything material and nothing "spiritual". I've completely given up on the blessing idea. A long time ago. Tried it, it didn't work.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.