Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 01:11PM

Dunno if this has been posted on here before but I found this hilariously spot on, honest and critical take on Mormon SM.

http://blog.beliefnet.com/flunkingsainthood/2010/07/five-reasons-why-mormon-church-meetings-are-the-dullest-youll-find-anywhere.html

I have difficulty envisioning a TBM writing this stuff, they're too darn guilty sheeple to even type one line of this. Examples: "I’ve spent years trying to figure out why today’s sacrament meetings are typically an exercise in routinized tedium when worship was so decidedly different in the early years of the LDS Church." and "3) Our music is confining and often funereal."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 01:19PM

And yet it's all true.. Everyone knows it, but none dare mention it. The utter boredom I encountered in meetings was one of the deciding factors for me to stop attending.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 01:27PM

If it were interesting, it could have very well distracted me from the other issues. Bored minds wander, and mine wandered into the realm of reason.

Even with all the shear JS nonsense they try to pass off as actual history, their biggest offense may very well be boring people to death, since they do it to such an extreme degree and on such a grand scale.

Posted by: the outlander ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 01:38PM

There was a really funny post on here a while back that I saved because I though it was so hilarious. The poster was comparing Mormon Funerals to Sacrament Meeting, they said:

What you witnessed at that funeral is identical to the tone of weekly Mormon meetings. Essentially, Mormons attend a funeral every week, only most Mormons aren't aware of it. And those who know, but have obligations outside of themselves to attend church, are bored stiff.

That person nailed it as far as I'm concerned!

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 02:03PM

+1. I think the sickest thing about the Sunday meetings is expecting the little kids to endure it. How cruel is that? Especially on fast sunday for hells sake!

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 01:41PM

Oh, but if you're bored during SM, then it's your fault dontcha know? You've not sought the Spirit sincerely enough before you arrived and now it's fled and you yawn through SM. (what an onion-skinned entity, that Spirit).

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 01:44PM

but she's somewhat of a rabble-rouser who has spoken up about how women are treated like 2nd class citizens in the Church etc. She's spoken at least 1 of John Dehlin's conferences. I think she rides the line on what she says— wanting to stay in but wanting things to change. She certainly does not live along the Morridor.

I sent my daughter an article she wrote a few years back about how she catches crap for wearing pants to Church. My wife was not pleased.

Posted by: Dallin A. Chokes ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 01:46PM

One of the easiest ways to make the meeting deathly boring is for the powers that be to assign members to give talks on other people's talks (from the previous GC, for example). Good LORD, that's boring, boring, boring! I've thought about getting up and just re-reading a talk straight from the Ensign in my best impersonation of the GA whose talk I'm supposed to be talking about. Haven't been able to bring myself to do that yet.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 02:13PM

This is a good article.

I think it can be summed up quite simply.

Unlike other churches Mormons aren't working for tips.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 02:36PM

Sacrament Meeting is a ritual of attendance. I found it to be a display where families were judged by how they looked, were they on time, and whether their children behaved appropriately. The leadership carefully counts the bodies in the room and if you are not attending regularly, you are labeled "inactive."

Mormon inactives are not considered eligible for welfare assistance or temple attendance. This is carrot-stick compulsion, which exists on many levels in Mormonism. The dullness of the service speaks to the hopelessness of a religion founded by a conman and devoted to rewarding members not with the mysterium tremens, but with a plastic card certifying themselves as eligible to enter the highest kingdom of heaven, provided they remember the secret handshakes.

Anagrammy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.